The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cornbread question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148960)

Hoss 12-04-2012 07:47 PM

Cornbread question

I have to cook for a hundred New Year's Eve.I can handle the peas,cabbage an sweet taters that have been requested.I can even handle the hams and meatloaves I need to smoke.QUESTION IS......cornbread.My wife makes a killer one but the one she makes will serve about six.I know that I can just multiply the ingredients in hers by 15 or so but..........She cooks hers at 400 f for 20 mins.I have a C.I. skillet that will hold the whole amount in one pan but I am thinking that I will need to cook at a lower temp for a longer time .What are your thoughts?

cowgirl 12-04-2012 07:58 PM

Hoss I'm not sure if I understand the question but I use cast iron skillets to cook my corn bread. I heat the skillet before adding the batter and cook it at high heat for 20 to 25 minutes.. or until the top is nice and golden.

Not sure if that helps you. Your feast sounds really tasty!!

Hoss 12-04-2012 08:15 PM

@ Cowgirl.She does the same.The Skillet I will be using is huge,17 inch diameter,3 inches deep.Just thinking cooking that large mass the outside will burn before the inside is done at high temps.She usually uses like a 8 inch C.I. skillet.I plan to multiply her volume of mix many times so I do not have to cook multiple pans.Hope this explains it better.

Bludawg 12-04-2012 08:16 PM

Cook it in 2 disposable aluminum pans when the center is set its done. If there is sugar in it its cake.:-P

Hoss 12-04-2012 08:22 PM

No suga in my cornbread! Disposable pans are out of the question.I had rather serve cheap white loaf bread than cornbread NOT cooked in Cast Iron.It's just a thang!:oops: But thanks for the tip.

cowgirl 12-04-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 2288736)
@ Cowgirl.She does the same.The Skillet I will be using is huge,17 inch diameter,3 inches deep.Just thinking cooking that large mass the outside will burn before the inside is done at high temps.She usually uses like a 8 inch C.I. skillet.I plan to multiply her volume of mix many times so I do not have to cook multiple pans.Hope this explains it better.

Thanks Hoss, I just measured one of my skillets, the biggest I've used for cornbread is a 15" one. Turns out fine.
I would think a 17" skillet would be no problem.

I agree with ya, cornbread has to be cooked in C. I. . :grin:

Hoss 12-04-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 2288749)
Thanks Hoss, I just measured one of my skillets, the biggest I've used for cornbread is a 15" one. Turns out fine.
I would think a 17" skillet would be no problem.

I agree with ya, cornbread has to be cooked in C. I. . :grin:

Thanks.:grin:

bizznessman 12-04-2012 08:47 PM

Cooking cornbread at a lower temp for a longer period of time can cause it to turn out very dry (personal experience due to test baking in the past). I use 3" deep sheet pans, for large orders, and still bake at 400-425F. I also tent the top with foil halfway through the bake to prevent the top from browning too much. With the extra thickness I add an extra 10-15 minutes (total of 30-35 min) to the normal recipe bake time but I also use the toothpick (or wooden skewer for the extra depth) test to tell when it is really ready. I also agree with "cowgirl" about preheating if using C.I. or you may experience stickage.

Hoss 12-04-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizznessman (Post 2288762)
Cooking cornbread at a lower temp for a longer period of time can cause it to turn out very dry (personal experience due to test baking in the past). I use 3" deep sheet pans, for large orders, and still bake at 400-425F. I also tent the top with foil halfway through the bake to prevent the top from browning too much. With the extra thickness I add an extra 10-15 minutes (total of 30-35 min) to the normal recipe bake time but I also use the toothpick (or wooden skewer for the extra depth) test to tell when it is really ready. I also agree with "cowgirl" about preheating if using C.I. or you may experience stickage.

Thanks.Grillin and smokin and cookin veggies I am comfy with,...baking,...not so much.:oops:

Happy Hapgood 12-04-2012 09:18 PM

Start now and vac seal/freeze with original recipe then defrost/heat and go on the day.

Just a suggestion.

Hoss 12-04-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast (Post 2288785)
Start now and vac seal/freeze with original recipe then defrost/heat and go on the day.

Just a suggestion.

Good idea,thanks!

landarc 12-04-2012 09:28 PM

Assuming 10 servings per pan, and you need 100 to 120 servings, you are looking at having to cook that many loaves. Doable if you have a large amount of oven space. It's a lot of work. I will say though, I have cooked in service pans that were 3" deep, worked fine.

WineMaster 12-04-2012 09:42 PM

Cornbread and Tea are made to be sweet!

scp 12-04-2012 09:50 PM

Since nobody else asked...and the recipe is?

fr8erfxr 12-04-2012 09:55 PM

Hoss, I don't live far from you and have a 15" ci skillet you could borrow if you need it.