The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

chaddie 09-20-2010 05:44 PM

SWEET!!! Now get it dirtly!! :thumb:

chaddie 09-20-2010 05:48 PM

Sorry for the double post. :icon_blush: OPPS!!

Maguire2648 09-20-2010 06:38 PM

i know right..... way to clean. im gunna do a fatty to season it will post pics of it all "dirty" once i start really using it

Bubblehead 09-21-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stglide (Post 1406160)
I do unfoil, but maybe not long enough. I'm sure I didn't leave them on another hour. You flip your ribs? May be some of the issue... I haven't.

As for the temps, that is my problem. Darn thing won't hold steady for some reason. Wondering if the lump burned hotter, and more consistent than the KF.... Guess only one way to find out! :becky:

Lump is the way to go IMO, much more predictable and far less ash. An hour out of the foil is good too, I DO like to put a piece under the ribs for that last hour though. Keeps the textures even.

Bubblehead 09-21-2010 01:04 AM

top rack saw no foil?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy (Post 1407073)
I just did an experiment with foiled vs. non-foiled ribs. I cooked 'em both at ~235-240 degrees unfoiled for about 3.5 hours, foiled one slab with a little S. Carolina Mustard Sauce and left the other slab alone. After about an hour in the foil, I released the foiled slab and put it back on the grill to firm and color up.

Here's a pic:

Let me know if you can tell by the picture which one was foiled and which one wasn't:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...onthegrill.jpg

Here's a pic of the "bite test" on individual bones from each slab:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/Bitetest.jpg

There was a slight difference, but in the end, not enough to make me change my ways - just yet anyway.

Sugar-T 09-21-2010 09:40 AM

my guess is the set close to the bottom in both pics is the foiled?

Southern Home Boy 09-21-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblehead (Post 1407855)
top rack saw no foil?

Good eye. :thumb:

The top rack was left unfoiled, the bottom rack was foiled. In the bite test, the ribs from the racks were reversed: The Top bone was foiled, the bottom bone was not.

The unfoiled rib had more consistent texture, but the foiled rib was a little juicier.

kwas68 09-21-2010 01:37 PM

My UDS

1 Attachment(s)
I already posted a separate thread about my new UDS but thought I should post some thanks in the mother/master thread as well. Sorry for the redundance.

A couple of months ago, I was looking for a reason to build a UDS as I’m completely happy charcoal water smoker guy. You guys urged me on and I finally found some time to build it while raising 2 toddlers and being blessed with newborn twins. I read about the first 200 pages of the master thread (plenty of time in the hospital) and took notes. I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what to do. It took a lot of time to get through, but the reward was that the assembly was pretty painless.

Some of my observations on the build:
· Costs can add up. Man, stainless gets expensive! I was still able to build a smoker I’m proud of for less than $200.
· The Harbor Freight stepped drill bit lasted at least this one build. I feel like I got my money’s worth.
· A jig saw going through porcelain coated steel of the Weber base is as LOUD as all get out. Glasses and earplugs are necessary.
· The burn was fun because fire is cool! However, I thought I’d want to sit around and watch it but the burning exterior paint fumes suggested otherwise.
· The most complicated part of the build is the charcoal basket. Tying the expanded metal with rebar wire is a slight pain. Welders probably have an advantage here. I also had a hard time finding expanded metal and think I ultimately overpaid for it at Metals Supermarket.
· The UDS moved pretty well on the wheels. I need to add some handles though.
· I was surprised by nothing. The thread was extensive and I was confident that what I was doing was going to work. And it did.
· Pointing out to my wife while watching BBQ Pitmasters that a BBQ champ like Bigmista was using a UDS, just like the one I was building, was pretty cool.
· I definitely felt a sense of pride in making it myself. I am excited to show people pictures of it.

The next planned mods are a large White Sox logo and a shelf with hooks for tongs and a beer opener (of course). The shelf can act as a handle for me to push the UDS around on the big wheels. I also need to put a handle of some sort on my charcoal basket.

I smoked a fatty Sunday to season it. Found that the dial thermometer on the side read about 15° hotter than the temperature in the center. Had one ¾” plug removed and the ball valve opened ¼ of the way to maintain a 240° for a couple hours. It was a short run but I was impressed with the consistency.

I can’t wait to get more experience with it.

Big thanks to the Brethren for the expertise. I’m really glad that I found your site. Besides the UDS, I’ve learned about MOINKs, ABT’s, Chuckies, etc. Man, I didn’t know what I was missing. Thanks for the knowledge!

Gonesledn 09-21-2010 03:38 PM

pork butt and a chuck roast...

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...TI1My5qcGc.jpg
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...1OC5qcGc-1.jpg

MushCreek 09-21-2010 04:51 PM

My latest mod on my SSUDS is adding toggle clamps to close the intakes. The red disc is silicone rubber- good to 600 degrees. I ordered SS toggle clamps; the one's in the pics are regular steel. I wanted to make sure they worked well before I shelled out for SS. One thing i discovered is that I can open and close them with my foot, so the old phart doesn't have to bend over!
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/IMG_0260.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/IMG_0261.jpg

stl-rich 09-21-2010 05:01 PM

Where can I get regular steel or galvanized toggle clamps? I think they are REALLY cool

SmokerKing 09-21-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl-rich (Post 1408501)
Where can I get regular steel or galvanized toggle clamps? I think they are REALLY cool

cheap ones: Harbor Freight
Others: McMaster Carr

Jay871 09-21-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwas68 (Post 1408256)
I already posted a separate thread about my new UDS but thought I should post some thanks in the mother/master thread as well. Sorry for the redundance.

A couple of months ago, I was looking for a reason to build a UDS as I’m completely happy charcoal water smoker guy. You guys urged me on and I finally found some time to build it while raising 2 toddlers and being blessed with newborn twins. I read about the first 200 pages of the master thread (plenty of time in the hospital) and took notes. I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what to do. It took a lot of time to get through, but the reward was that the assembly was pretty painless.

Some of my observations on the build:
· Costs can add up. Man, stainless gets expensive! I was still able to build a smoker I’m proud of for less than $200.
· The Harbor Freight stepped drill bit lasted at least this one build. I feel like I got my money’s worth.
· A jig saw going through porcelain coated steel of the Weber base is as LOUD as all get out. Glasses and earplugs are necessary.
· The burn was fun because fire is cool! However, I thought I’d want to sit around and watch it but the burning exterior paint fumes suggested otherwise.
· The most complicated part of the build is the charcoal basket. Tying the expanded metal with rebar wire is a slight pain. Welders probably have an advantage here. I also had a hard time finding expanded metal and think I ultimately overpaid for it at Metals Supermarket.
· The UDS moved pretty well on the wheels. I need to add some handles though.
· I was surprised by nothing. The thread was extensive and I was confident that what I was doing was going to work. And it did.
· Pointing out to my wife while watching BBQ Pitmasters that a BBQ champ like Bigmista was using a UDS, just like the one I was building, was pretty cool.
· I definitely felt a sense of pride in making it myself. I am excited to show people pictures of it.

The next planned mods are a large White Sox logo and a shelf with hooks for tongs and a beer opener (of course). The shelf can act as a handle for me to push the UDS around on the big wheels. I also need to put a handle of some sort on my charcoal basket.

I smoked a fatty Sunday to season it. Found that the dial thermometer on the side read about 15° hotter than the temperature in the center. Had one ¾” plug removed and the ball valve opened ¼ of the way to maintain a 240° for a couple hours. It was a short run but I was impressed with the consistency.

I can’t wait to get more experience with it.

Big thanks to the Brethren for the expertise. I’m really glad that I found your site. Besides the UDS, I’ve learned about MOINKs, ABT’s, Chuckies, etc. Man, I didn’t know what I was missing. Thanks for the knowledge!

I have read this whole forum too and I built a UDS with all the advice given, but I must have missed what a "Chuckie" was. Can you help me out. Sounds good. Thanks. Totally agree with your post. Disreguard I found them on the Roadmap. I will doing some off those in the near future

colonel00 09-22-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay871 (Post 1408792)
I have read this whole forum too and I built a UDS with all the advice given, but I must have missed what a "Chuckie" was. Can you help me out. Sounds good. Thanks. Totally agree with your post. Disreguard I found them on the Roadmap. I will doing some off those in the near future

It is a chuck roast. Great for making pulled beef.

Or, its a small, demonically possessed doll.

Rodney 09-22-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 1409005)
It is a chuck roast. Great for making pulled beef.

Or, its a small, demonically possessed doll.

I need to try one again... my first Chuckie was the first piece of meat I did on my UDS, and it didn't survive the combination of temp spikes and my scattermindedness. ;-)