The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Tharg 11-09-2015 03:06 PM

Anyone have any tips for getting a bbq kettle lid to fit a drum when the lid is virtually the same circumference as the drum rim?
I was thinking of getting an inch wide strip for the inside circumference of the drum and riveting it just under the rim so it stick up just above the rim , if that makes sense

Bbq_lover 11-09-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tharg (Post 3397966)
Anyone have any tips for getting a bbq kettle lid to fit a drum when the lid is virtually the same circumference as the drum rim?
I was thinking of getting an inch wide strip for the inside circumference of the drum and riveting it just under the rim so it stick up just above the rim , if that makes sense

That would work, or if it's a weber lid, and you have the rest of the grill, cut the top lip off the grill and mount it inside the UDS. Then the lid always fits!

Tharg 11-09-2015 07:23 PM

I just had a read of the another thread and one suggestion was to flare out the lip of the kettle kid with some pliers. Think I will try that as it requires the least effort ����

Tharg 11-10-2015 09:57 AM

I have been reading that the zink plated screws are fine to use as they dont give off gases until they reach really high temps. Is this the case for galvanised too? I found this galvanized perforated strip of steel thats perfect for my fire basket.

AussieMatt 11-10-2015 11:20 AM

No gal mate, unless you can strip it off. Better off to keep looking for non-gal.

woodbutcher1 11-10-2015 11:42 AM

Take a 6 to 8 lb. sledge hammer. hold that on the inside of the drum lip.
With another good sized hammer,flatten the lip of the drum all the way around. No need to flatten the Weber lid. you'll knock of a lot of enamel.

Southern Home Boy 11-10-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tharg (Post 3397966)

I used an open head drum for my last UDS. I took the lid, cut out the center and epoxied the kettle lid to the rim of the lid that came on the drum. Snaps on tight as a frog's butthole.

Redtail 11-13-2015 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy (Post 3398628)
I used an open head drum for my last UDS. I took the lid, cut out the center and epoxied the kettle lid to the rim of the lid that came on the drum. Snaps on tight as a frog's butthole.

What epoxy did you use?

Roguejim 11-14-2015 02:05 AM

Alright, I'm very interested in what I've read here, although, I can't go through 800+ pages. So, I'll just ask a few questions, if that's alright.

I can get a 55-gal drum for $20. The only other significant expense I can think of is the charcoal basket, ball valve,and a grate. Maybe paying to have the drum sanded down? I'm trying to figure out if it would be more cost effective to go the Big Poppa Drum Kit route, or piece it together. Any help? I only have a Weber 22.5" kettle, so, a drum would give me a pretty versatile, and inexpensive arsenal, I think. Thanks.

AussieMatt 11-14-2015 07:23 AM

I pieced mine together and then changed it a couple of times so the end cost was more than the BP kit. Having said that, I can make one that works great for cheaper than the kit now.

But, the reviews on the BP kit are very good and if you want to get everything in one hit rather than piecing it together and ordering from different places, the BP is the way to go.

Grumpy the Elder 11-15-2015 08:27 AM

What do you do about the fat that cooks out of the meat when cooking butts?

RT 11-15-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy the Elder (Post 3402427)

I just drop 4 or 5 paper towels in the bottom when done and it will soak it up.

Blythewood BBQ'er 11-15-2015 12:46 PM

I will shake the ask out of my basket a day or two after I cook and then scrape out with a little scoop I got from walmart. Ash soaks up the grease nicely.

ebijack 11-15-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy the Elder (Post 3402427)

Catch in a drip pan, makes the best gravy you ever had. Only some of the grease gets around the drip pan to hit the coals.

fisherfrk 11-16-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 343506)
The guy I cooked with used sand in his water pan.

I tried that once and when the sand got dry and butts dripped into the pan, the sand was picked up in the steam and got all over the food. Not a good idea IMHO.