The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First time Armadillo Eggs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80408)

Crazy Tex 04-05-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick@ParkAQ (Post 1239803)
just one thought ---bland. I like to as they say taste the flavors the colors and the textures. Mixing it up you get paste. Also we don't do cheese its takes heat away:biggrin1:

Bland? I mix plenty of onions and jalapeno's in it to be anything but bland. And I didn't mix it until it was a paste, just a chunky mixture that I could form.

I like the sweet BBQ sauce on mine, as Ron_L said, it compliments the saltiness of the sausage, at least on regular sausage... gonna try Maple sausage one of these days.

Chef Jim 04-05-2010 12:59 PM

Another one for my to do list. If I could fine it?

btcg 04-05-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 1240013)
I'm going to have to try that. The sweet bbq sauce is perfect to me. It compliments the saltiness of the sausage and cheese and the slight heat of the jalapeno. I'm not sure about lemon juice.

Ron.

Lemon on sausage is a natural.

Here's the thing... there's this modern notion that every element of a dish must have a counter so as to balance. Many times, this works well. But not always.

In fact, I've grown tired of this technique.... and I'd say as much to a Gordon Ramsey, if he were in my kitchen. There's a lot of conventional wisdom in the KISS method.

bigabyte 04-06-2010 09:32 PM

It's been too long since I made some of those. Gonna have to rectify that.

Nick@ParkAQ 04-07-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Tex (Post 1240235)
Bland? I mix plenty of onions and jalapeno's in it to be anything but bland. And I didn't mix it until it was a paste, just a chunky mixture that I could form.

I like the sweet BBQ sauce on mine, as Ron_L said, it compliments the saltiness of the sausage, at least on regular sausage... gonna try Maple sausage one of these days.

I'm sure they're awesomely good to you so I was just responding in that you asked for thoughts and opinions and in my opinion when all that stuff becomes paste (or chunky mixture) so I don't get to taste the textures on my tongue which is what I like. I don't favor sugary sauces either so the good news is that it leaves more of that for those who enjoy sugar. Me I'm all about pepper. Pics would be helpful. :drama:

Crazy Tex 04-07-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick@ParkAQ (Post 1242535)
I'm sure they're awesomely good to you so I was just responding in that you asked for thoughts and opinions and in my opinion when all that stuff becomes paste (or chunky mixture) so I don't get to taste the textures on my tongue which is what I like. I don't favor sugary sauces either so the good news is that it leaves more of that for those who enjoy sugar. Me I'm all about pepper. Pics would be helpful. :drama:

I understand your opinion, and respect it...
I also like the texture, and turns out I need more onion and jalapeno (so you were right about dulling down the flavors)... BUT, the idea of pre-making the insides worked really well... just need to tweak the ingredients a bit. I also tried this one without the sauce, was just a bit salty to me without it.

Here's a couple of pics.
Here's the frozen cheese chunks , I know they look like tater tots.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...llingSmall.jpg

here's the cooked egg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ediumSmall.jpg

Nick@ParkAQ 04-08-2010 12:26 AM

Cool pics and most interesting. I had visualized something different. In what you made pregrinding the filling makes sense. I may try it with a grid chop (and sans cheese) they look just lovely! Thanks for sharing

McGurk 04-08-2010 03:14 PM

Either of the 2 shown ways look great, but I like the idea of smaller ones for serving. I may have to do both of them side by side for comparison! Either way: I AM HUNGRY!

Crazy Tex 04-08-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGurk (Post 1244130)
Either of the 2 shown ways look great, but I like the idea of smaller ones for serving. I may have to do both of them side by side for comparison! Either way: I AM HUNGRY!

The smaller ones are just the filling which was pre-made and frozen... the second was the finished product... well, before I finished it off. lol

Gonna tweak the filling a bit, but that just means I have to make more...darn the luck!:becky:

McGurk 04-08-2010 09:34 PM

I meant the ones the OP put up and the ones you made. I follow you on the premade, frozen filling "tots". Seems like a simple and effective way to do it versus the halved and filled jalapenos, and with a smaller, more finger-friendly dish.

Paulmark 04-08-2010 10:41 PM

Damn this is a great thread:thumb: On the big ones I thought it looked like there wasn't enough pepper or cheese per bite. So I thought, "so just use habanero's , on the small ones they look perfect. IMHO. Thanks for posting.

Crazy Tex 04-09-2010 11:52 AM

Oh... forgot he posted the other pictures up there.. my bad. I like the way he did it too.