The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cedar planked fish, but cedar is not recommended to smoke with? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60667)

kylersk 04-24-2009 10:43 PM

Cedar planked fish, but cedar is not recommended to smoke with?

Why is that?

jtwisted13 04-25-2009 01:31 AM

you are not smoking with the cedar. The meat is laying on a cedar plank which is not being burned up, having been soaked in water beforehand. It is just there to add flavor. it is basically another cooking dish

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 04-25-2009 02:16 AM

I have wondered the same thing. I haven't seen a cedar plank salmon cooked, but doesn't the bottom of the plank char which produces smoke?

1fastf7 04-25-2009 06:12 AM

i think you have to keep the plank from charring,,make sure to soak it..it should just get hot enough to cook the salmon..i never tried it,but fish dosnt need real intense or long heat to cook..

keend 04-25-2009 07:00 AM

I have cooked cedar planked salmon a few times. You soak the plank, build a hot fire, put the plank on and wait for it to start popping. Then you add the fist and cook until flaky. The cedar does smoke and it adds a nice flavor to the fish but I like Alder better. It is worth giving it a try.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 04-25-2009 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keend (Post 910689)
The cedar does smoke and it adds a nice flavor to the fish .......

So, you are actually smoking with cedar which is supposed to be a bad thing to do. It isn't logical.

Alder, on the other hand is a good wood to smoke with and particularly good for fish, so why not forget cedar and use alder planks?

Don Marco 04-25-2009 07:36 AM

You dont wanna use Cedar for fuel as it becomes nasty in large ammounts, bute the small ammount thats released from the planks is really delishious.

I put the soaked planks over the fire to char the bottom, then flip it over and put over indirect heat and put the fish on the hot lightly charred side of the plank, close the lid and let it cook.

DM

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 04-25-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Marco (Post 910703)
I put the soaked planks over the fire to char the bottom, then flip it over and put over indirect heat and put the fish on the hot lightly charred side of the plank, close the lid and let it cook.

DM

Doing it your way burns off all the bad oils on the side you put your fish, then cooking it indirect keeps the oils from the uncharred side from being released. This method makes sense to me.

BBQchef33 04-25-2009 08:06 AM

i've done it dozens of times.

Cedar is a soft wood. similar to pine. Burned as a cookiing smokeing wood, it can ruin your pit by depositing tars and a cresote on the pit walls.

A soaked cedar plank under a salmon doesnt ignite, yes it chars on the underside a bit, and the flavors from the aromatics in the wood comes through the cedar and penetrates the salmon, but the wood never actually ignites and burns. The small amount of charring you get is enuf to release the oils thru the wood but does not produce any significant amount of smoke. You will notice that the entire top side of the plank statys intact as well as throughout, and only the bottom chars up a bit.

Rick's Tropical Delight 04-25-2009 08:23 AM

try it. putting the wood at the grid level is a lot different than puting it directly on the coals

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...0feb07-002.jpg

the cedar planked method dates back to the pacific northwest where salmon was smoked with cedar because that's the most abundant wood.

JamesTX 04-25-2009 09:31 AM

I've always heard not to use cedar to cook with, but we went to a steakhouse in north Arizona where they advertise that they use juniper (cedar) to grill over. Steaks turned out real good.

thirdeye 04-25-2009 09:42 AM

I kind of have to agree and disagree here. Cedar is like cooking with pine in my eyes. For the most part all we have in the high country is pine, and from many years of camping, it's not a flavor I like with food. Try alder or apple planks for seafood or maple or hickory planks for pork.

You soak a plank to slow down the combustion, but your fire must be hot enough to char the wood, which in turn bathes the food in an envelope of smoke, which flavors it. A hot fire and proper vent settings are needed, as you want the plank on the edge of combustion. I keep a little squirt bottle of water on hand if an edge gets too western. Oh yeah, if you don't close your bottom vent before taking pictures, they will flash. :biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye 04-25-2009 09:51 AM

I hate cedar planks. They smell like a coat closet on fire. There are plenty of sources for good wood planks such as alder, cherry, and maple. They basically create a buffer from indirect heat while adding a quick smokey flavor as the bottom of the plank smokes.

Mo-Dave 04-25-2009 11:53 AM

Just a side note. The cedar planks can be cleaned and reused.
Dave

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 04-25-2009 05:52 PM

Saw cedar planks at Wal-Mart today. $6 each! :eek: