The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Piedmont 02-24-2007 09:40 PM

2nd time

Completed a second Q on my drum and results are same as first time, excellant!

Cooked two slabs, great taste and never touch them until they are done!

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 01:09 PM

burn off

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery
You have to burn that off Ol Rocky at BDS earns his money doing just that
nasty job

Thats why he buys new ones now no coating to deal with

I have built a couple of these and they work great. I went to a muffler shop and had them bend a 2 in pipe with a 5 or 6 in end that I welded to the berrel and about a 15 in section pointing up with a plastic ball valave on that. The plastic will not melt from the heat and they are much cheaper than the metal ones. I have a weber 22 in led that fits good for my top. If you want to use a weber lid be sure to take it with you and get a good fit when looking for the barrel, you will be amazed at the slight differents in size.

Anyway I wanted to say I use my weed burner to burn off the outside paint and at the same time I am doing that it will burn off the inside coating as well. The weed burner also can't be beat for lighting the charcoal but you have to take the basket out of the barrel or the flame will blow out. I still burn some wood in it before cooking coated with oil to season it.
Dave

Blutch 02-25-2007 01:14 PM

Mo, I'm not following you on the pipe thing.. do you have any pics?

Also, you have to light the charcoal outside of the drum? If so, you light it in the basket then after it catches you somehow place it in the barrel? I'm missing something I think.

Thanks

B

swamprb 02-25-2007 02:42 PM

Yeah-I don't get how you light the basket outside, how do you get it in the drum w/o getting 3rd degree burns? I once tried to do a Minion start, but trying to dump a flamin' chimney 'o lump on top of the basket convinced me the weed torch is the way to go! The torch will blow out if you get it too close to the coals same with my Egg.http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/100_1397.jpg

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 02:51 PM

pipe thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutch
Mo, I'm not following you on the pipe thing.. do you have any pics?

Also, you have to light the charcoal outside of the drum? If so, you light it in the basket then after it catches you somehow place it in the barrel? I'm missing something I think.

Thanks

B

No pics, but the pipe is just an L shap, the muffler shop has bent for me with the short end going into the barrel and the long end upright outside the smoker, cost me about 12 bucks. The ball valve is a tight fit for the one I have but I guess you could have the pipe threaded, just remenber to put the valve on before mounting it to the barrel or you may not be able to screw it on. If the valve is to lose try wraping duck tape or plumbers tape around the pipe end severl times and the valve should screw on to that for a better fit. Next time I may move up to a 2 1/2 pipe and 2/12 valve.

On the basket I have welded a handle that loops over the top just like an Easter basket, then I use a fireplace poker to reach in and hook it to either pull it out or put it back in. Saves you from haveing to reach down so far into the barrel and getting your arm and shrit all messed up, been there done that. Also keep your hands away from the heat.

One other thing. I have a welder but I am not that good with it and barrels for me are hard to weld. So next time I will have the muffler shop weld a mounting plate to the short end of the pipe with starter holes drilled for sheet metal screws and maybe put a neopream gasket, behide that for a good fit.

As far as all the other brackit for the racks and handles I will also drill holes for them, much neater that way, hope that helps. Fun to make and really work great. And I use a metal hole saw to cut th pipe hole, if using a 2 in pipe I would recomend using a 1 an 3/4 in saw. The hole being cut on a rounded surface will be much biger than the 2 in pipe and harder to fill the gap. Gusse you could just cut a squire hole.
Dave

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 03:05 PM

Well my last post well tell you how I did that and thats why I take it out to light it and keep it from blowing out my flam. Also when I light the charcoal I only either light four or five coals in the middle of the pile or four of five on the very outside edge, kind of a version of the Minion Method I guess and I am not sure which is the best way to do it, I experment each time. But the basket is not that hot when I put it back in but I still wear gloves.
Dave

Blutch 02-25-2007 06:41 PM

When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 07:45 PM

Hows your ball joints hanging?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutch
When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B

The pipe is pointing up with the ball joint on top of that, because I am a fat old man who hates bending over, in the dark. Makes it eazyer to see how much it is open, and I only put one pipe and vent on my barrel. Thats why I don't care for a WSM, which I have had, can't see what the heck I am doing down there.

Fact is, if I have to get down on the floor for any reason I stay down there and make sure there isn't anything else I need to do, while I am there.:lol:

Yes I only light a few coal, either in the middle or on the edge.
Dave

tony76248 03-02-2007 01:41 PM

That was a heck of a thread. Read the whole dang thing too. Nice jobs on your drum smokers!

Azinine 03-02-2007 09:36 PM

ditto. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be making a USD soon...

Mo-Dave 03-03-2007 11:51 AM

Automotive mishap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azinine
ditto. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be making a USD soon...

Just looking at some of my post and some how I refered to the ball valve as a ball joint and so did some others. I hope no one is putting a ball joint on there smoker because you will have to grease it every other cook.:rolleyes:
Dave

Neil 03-10-2007 06:53 AM

Great thread fella's. I picked up a 55 gal. barrell the other day. The company was selling them for $3 with lids. Powder coat paint was in the barrell but in a plastic liner. There is some powder dust residue on the insides but I figure a good burn should take care of any leftover residue. I'll get started on the project as soon as I finish with my taxes.

Cliff H. 03-10-2007 08:36 AM

I just read it myself. Very informative. Has anyone considered cutting out a door on the side for adding coals ?

Also, how about adding a heat sink ?

ThomEmery 03-10-2007 09:08 AM

Cliff there is no need for a door or a heat sink Why make it a WSM?

Cliff H. 03-10-2007 09:14 AM

I just figured if Weber won't bring a 22" WSM to us, We could bring one to them.:shock:

I am very interested in these type smokers and plan to build one this year.