The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tell me which pellets you mix for different meat profiles? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228035)

Babyboomerboy 04-05-2016 09:55 AM

Tell me which pellets you mix for different meat profiles?

Finally broke down and bought a Traeger pellet smoker. Since this is my first pellet pooper I don't know a lot about which pellets I should use for which meats. I figure I just use the same pellets as the wood I used with my stick burner, uds, and weber. But since I've read that some people mix the pellets to get different smoke flavors I would like to hear from any of you that do this and what kind of results you get. Thanks

Okie Sawbones 04-05-2016 10:35 AM

Doesn't really matter. From my experience, you won't get much smoke flavor if just cooking with pellets above 180 degrees. You need to add smoke via Amaz-N maze or tube smoker, or Mojo Bricks. I tend to use hickory to strive for more flavor.

STLBBQer 04-05-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie Sawbones (Post 3517371)
Doesn't really matter. From my experience, you won't get much smoke flavor if just cooking with pellets above 180 degrees. You need to add smoke via Amaz-N maze or tube smoker, or Mojo Bricks. I tend to use hickory to strive for more flavor.

Agree completely. I use a mesquite blend almost for everything, because it gives the most smoke flavor. I haven't found pellets to be like using real hardwood mesquite or hickory where you can oversmoke meat (chicken especially) if you're not careful. I dare say oversmoking with a pellet grill is nearly impossible.

mattmountz94 04-05-2016 10:46 AM

Here is a link that i asked the other day for beef, hope this helps alittle

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=227906

cowgirl 04-05-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmountz94 (Post 3517382)
Here is a link that i asked the other day for beef, hope this helps alittle

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=227906

Good link, thanks for the info Matt!

Ron, I like to use hickory most of the time. I have a Memphis Pro and set the smoker on low for several hours depending on what I'm cooking, then kick the heat up to 275F to 325F to finish.

Hope you have good luck with it.
Nice to see you posting!

The Wookiee 04-05-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STLBBQer (Post 3517379)
Agree completely. I use a mesquite blend almost for everything, because it gives the most smoke flavor. I haven't found pellets to be like using real hardwood mesquite or hickory where you can oversmoke meat (chicken especially) if you're not careful. I dare say oversmoking with a pellet grill is nearly impossible.

totally agree that mesquite pellets give more flavor without the dreaded downside often found with actual mesquite wood.

i tend to use a mix of mesquite + hickory + cherry or apple. i use alder pellets for birds (alone or mixed). maple often makes it's way into the pellet mixes ('competition blends') but can't say i notice much with it.

i'm definitely not a fan of traeger pellets. i like BBQ'rs delight the best, but can't always get reasonable prices/free shipping so i often grab camp chef pellets (though i don't care for their apple much) from outdoorcooking.com which i like well enough; good price and free shipping. much prefer Mojobricks over amazen tube for extra smoke...

bignburlyman 04-05-2016 03:02 PM

I generally mix Hickory and Cherry for beef, and Hickory and Apple on pork. Don't cook much chicken so I can't say what to use for that, probably just whatever is in the hopper. I have recently used mostly BBQ'r Delight but have some Louisiana Grill hickory that I am finishing up currently. I have not noticed much difference between the brands.

Yendor 04-05-2016 03:18 PM

I just bought all hickory, I have never noticed a big difference between the pellet flavors at all. I use hickory because I think they give the best all around smoke output.

PappaQ 04-05-2016 04:00 PM

I have a GMG Jim Bowie. I have been using there gold blend. However, I used pecan pellets for my brisket. 1/4" smoke ring with an amazing flavor from the pellets. Just my 2 cents.

erichasaces 04-05-2016 04:02 PM

I had great results in competition using oak as my base mixed with pecan for ribs, pork, and brisket. For chicken it was a mix of oak and cherry.

STLBBQer 04-05-2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erichasaces (Post 3517644)
I had great results in competition using oak as my base mixed with pecan for ribs, pork, and brisket. For chicken it was a mix of oak and cherry.

Those are definitely good blends. I've also used the BBQers Delight orange wood on birds and that's a nice one.

Babyboomerboy 04-06-2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 3517571)
Good link, thanks for the info Matt!

Ron, I like to use hickory most of the time. I have a Memphis Pro and set the smoker on low for several hours depending on what I'm cooking, then kick the heat up to 275F to 325F to finish.

Hope you have good luck with it.
Nice to see you posting!

Jeanie, thanks for the post. I've been traveling a lot lately, moved a little east but still in Kansas and still playing with smoke when I can. Thanks again.
Ron

Burnt at Both Endz 04-06-2016 04:05 PM

Some Cherry blend will help get you the mahogany look on the big meats and ribs.