The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

eugenius 04-27-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker (Post 618322)
Yes air tight is the issue on thin gage with a curve , if you have a roller and some trial and error time I'm sure you can get the metal matched up but then you will need to work out a way to fasten it and make it easy to operate as well

thats why I chose the open bottom the seal is air tight! I got a 35 hour burn with 12 lbs of kingsford, could have gone longer but i wanted to clear the ash and cook more

Have you thought about a wood heater gasket.
just a thunk.

Dr_KY 04-27-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesebob (Post 623137)
Ok, Started on Drums 2 and 3. Burned them out really well, but went to use the wire brush on the angle grinder and it sounded like thunder. Would drilling the holes into the bottom make it quieter?

I don't think so just get after it and do it in the open. Try cutting a stainless beer keg, now you're making noise.:grin: I can send you some ear plugs if you need them.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-27-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesebob (Post 623137)
Ok, Started on Drums 2 and 3. Burned them out really well, but went to use the wire brush on the angle grinder and it sounded like thunder. Would drilling the holes into the bottom make it quieter?

Bought 1 inch pipe but forgot to get the 1 1/8" stepdown so tried to cut out the holes with the torch. That was a mistake, or I need to put on a smaller torch tip....

Learning is never easy, but always fun.

I would recommend not having your head in the drum while using the wire wheel

a moving blanket wrapped around the drum does help as does clamping it to a heavy workbench

Bluecrab 04-30-2008 02:44 PM

3/4" expanded steel

For anyone in the Long Island area building a UDS, I bought a 4'x8' piece of 3/4" expanded steel for burn containers. PM me if you are looking for some.

Barbarian 04-30-2008 09:42 PM

JD
Take a look at this link. Very interesting what the guy did.
I think you can make an access door that would be airtight.
http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/m...gnum_force.htm

smokinvic 05-01-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb (Post 335923)
I had to cut the rolled edge off the top of the drum for the Weber to fit. I laid a bead of High-temp silicone gasket on the lid for a more secure fit. The lid that came with the drum needs a little persuading but still fits.

Is it okay to use a silicone when cooking food? The silicone doesn't give off any toxins when heated?

billygbob 05-01-2008 12:13 PM

Flame On!!!

This has been a great discussion for the budget constrained BBQ fanatic (me). Thanks to everyone that has provided details and humor here! I'm hoping my questions below will help more than just me.

The Scenario: I finally built "the standard" 55gal UDS w/leverlock- 4 6"x1/2" steel pipe air intakes, 8 1/2" exhaust holes in lid, 16" expanded steel coal basket 2" off bottom, 1 grill 6" down from top. The first cook went reasonably well, just 2 (very large) slabs of spares cut into ribs and 'chine' (plus about 8lbs of lump and 8large hickory chunks). I tried the 3-2-1 method for the first time (I've never foiled ribs before when cooking on a side burner smoker). I discovered where the thermo is (a remote digital w/the probe hanging just below the grate) is critical; dropped from 230 to 190 only 1hr into the cook. I opened vents and it dropped more. I finally opened it up and moved the probe 3" toward the side and temp was 400+. OK. Shut all vents and plugged 6 exhaust holes and got that under control. At 2hrs I thought I should turn the ribs and so shut all intakes for 5min then opened it back up. Before I could get both turned I had flames out the top of the drum; ALL the dripping caught fire.

Overall, the ribs had a great flavor and were done OK - a bit dark in some spots, a bit over done in others. Sadly they lacked a deep smoke flavor (only the outer "crust" had much smoke). And worst, they fatty layer (around the rib 'tips') had not rendered out. Not pleasant eating

The Questions:
1) Is it common for the center temp to drop while the "sides" don't?
2) Is it common to get a flare up like I got? Or was that because I let it get so hot earlier.
3) How does one get more smoke into meat when you can't just throw some wood on the coals?
4) How does one get a longer cooking time when directly over coals so more fat will render - but not over cook the meat (other than the obvious 'lower temp')?

Thanks for any and all advice. I promise some pr0n from the next cook in return.

<BillyG>

Barbarian 05-01-2008 12:30 PM

Sounds to me like your thermo was outta whack. The center is normally hotter then the sides but not by 200* and not the other way around. I don't see how opening the vents could drop the temp with more air getting in.
Did you have the hickory on top of the lump or buried? I think you want the smoke early in the cook not later.
Not sure about shutting the vents down before taking the lid off. The fire was getting starved of air then you gave it a rush of air. Isn't that the backdraft type thing that happens in building fires?

So to your questions
1. no
2. I think you did the backdraft thing
3. put the wood on top to start with
4. if you keep it at 225 you should not need more cooking time the meat is plenty far enough away from the fire in a UDS

Mark 05-01-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinvic (Post 626350)
Is it okay to use a silicone when cooking food? The silicone doesn't give off any toxins when heated?

Hi-temp (red) silicon is what I use and some silicones are NSF rated. so yeah it's safe, once cured. If you manage to burn the stuff, maybe some bad $hit, but you'd really have to screw up to accomplish that.

Mark 05-01-2008 01:35 PM

BillyG;

Use more wood and dont foil for more smoke flavor. I only use wood and mix types for desired smokiness. Also consider experimenting with a partial heat shield between the fire and the meat. One more thing, learn the craft with cheap meat ; not ribs.

Dr_KY 05-01-2008 06:33 PM

Lump will flare up in the drum when it's starved for air so do not close down the vents unless you are shutting down for the night. I agree that when you opened the lid you created a back draft effect. Try using a blend of lump and briquet's with the heavy side going to the briquet's. Also you need to change or calibrate that thermometer.

JD McGee 05-01-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 626079)
JD
Take a look at this link. Very interesting what the guy did.
I think you can make an access door that would be airtight.
http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/m...gnum_force.htm

Thanks Jerry...I forgot about that one...looks doable to me. I would only do one door down near the bottom though... ala WSM. :-P

QDoc 05-01-2008 10:42 PM

How do you manage the grease?

Barbarian 05-01-2008 11:30 PM

QDoc, what grease???

If you are refering to the drippings while the meat is cooking then the answer is it burns off in the charcoal and adds extra flavor back into the meat. Kinda recycled. I don't recall every having grease in the ash pan of my UDS. I guess if there was, it was mixed in with the ash so it would not matter anyway.

billygbob 05-02-2008 08:23 AM

RE: Flame On!!!

Thanks for the insights and tips. I'll definitely work those into the next cook. <BillyG>

h20loo 05-02-2008 04:13 PM

In the spirit of this thread - I thought I would show my present two barrels.
The silver one is wearing its "winter coat" and "above the snowdrift" intake.
The orange one is Alice Chalmers orange because thats what I'm currently restoring and had in my gun!!!
All my barrels have 2" exhaust and 1 1/2" intakes(running to the centre of the barrel). Thats a speaker magnet on the intake.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/h20loo/004.jpghttp://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...0loo/004-1.jpg

Barbarian 05-02-2008 04:22 PM

Well H2Oloo if you have not been welcomed into the drumhead fraternity I am doing that now. Love the winter coat, just glad my UDS doesn't have to wear one, stays in the Q shack.

N8man 05-02-2008 04:34 PM

H2Oloo, I like your setup with the Orange Drum. Real useful I bet.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 05-02-2008 10:51 PM

got to love the matching grill brush too

thats what this UDS thing is all about

make it your own and have fun

I will be stealing the "use an old gasser frame" idea thats great

DID anyone else notice that the little sun above the Alice Chalmers orange is grinning , laughing he likes the smell of q and the insult to the old gasser too!!!!

Norcoredneck 05-03-2008 01:33 AM

Very Mobile. Great idea.

Norcoredneck 05-03-2008 01:34 AM

Make sure to look for Thirdey Hoe Scoop for cleaning out ash.

OSD 05-03-2008 06:06 AM

Very nice !! I like the blanket wrap.+++

chinesebob 05-22-2008 12:01 AM

Ok fellow drum heads - I was asked to teach a class and help people build their own drums. They are going to make donations for me to come out and teach the class. I'll be bringing my tools, etc.

I would like to use the powerpoint presentation from Norco (I think), Smokin' Gator, and all of your ideas. All proceeds are going to be donated back to the site or to the charity we're raising money for now.

I'm asking all of you since you guys are where I got it from, are you guys ok with this? I was going to give them a standard kit of things they will need but I thought about coming up with a standard kit, pricing it out, and then offering it to the class with the barrel so when they show up they just have to drill and assemble.

Thoughts?

Norcoredneck 05-22-2008 01:23 AM

Sounds Great to me. Shame Wyatt couldn't make it. You could be Tim Taylor and He could be Al borland (voice of reason).:biggrin: Bubba could put his nylons back on and be tool time girl.
http://www.freewebs.com/tbolt00/images/deb36.jpg

Bbq Bubba 05-22-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesebob (Post 642982)
Ok fellow drum heads - I was asked to teach a class and help people build their own drums. They are going to make donations for me to come out and teach the class. I'll be bringing my tools, etc.

I would like to use the powerpoint presentation from Norco (I think), Smokin' Gator, and all of your ideas. All proceeds are going to be donated back to the site or to the charity we're raising money for now.

I'm asking all of you since you guys are where I got it from, are you guys ok with this? I was going to give them a standard kit of things they will need but I thought about coming up with a standard kit, pricing it out, and then offering it to the class with the barrel so when they show up they just have to drill and assemble.

Thoughts?

Great idea Bob, but that will require "clean" unlined drums, unless your gonna have them do assembly and then go home and clean em out later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 643012)
Sounds Great to me. Shame Wyatt couldn't make it. You could be Tim Taylor and He could be Al borland (voice of reason).:biggrin: Bubba could put his nylons back on and be tool time girl.
http://www.freewebs.com/tbolt00/images/deb36.jpg

Man was i HOT back then!! :cool:

chinesebob 05-22-2008 04:03 PM

they are going to be clean drums. Found a place I get them cheaper than my old place. I will probably be making their baskets for them ahead of time just to save that headache.

Richard_ 05-25-2008 08:06 AM

are there any problems using a non food grade barrel ?? the only ones I can find are non food grade:frown:

Dr_KY 05-25-2008 08:27 AM

Not a problem unless you don't know what was in them.

Dr_KY 05-26-2008 01:13 AM

Anyone having trouble keeping temps when using a Weber lid?

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 05-26-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 646028)
Anyone having trouble keeping temps when using a Weber lid?

I'm using a Weber knock off ( Pro BBQ ) lid machined to fit ( sledge hammer mod) and I was feeling that the temps were easier to maintain until this week end, but we have been having very wide temp changes in the weather here ( last week end was over 110 f this week end 65 f with rain ) but I had a harder time this week end - but was marking it up to wide ranging outdoor temps and humidity changes and my NOOB status

ThChrMn 05-29-2008 03:46 PM

First timer

Like most first time posters I’ll say how impressed I am with this board and I am really impressed with this thread on the UDS.

So impressed that I had my friend order me a new un-lined open lid drum so I can build my own.

Currently, standard 55 gallon un-lined drums are $55 new and he is checking on larger drums as well.

It may take me a few weeks but I’ll show my progress for all to see.

I just wanted to show my appreciation for all the information on this board.

Thanks guys!

Sincerely,

The Chairman

Dr_KY 05-29-2008 05:36 PM

Welcome drummer just jump in with any questions and someone will be glad to help.

Norcoredneck 05-29-2008 06:04 PM

My opinion is keep it simple.

From earlier post.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=27

ThChrMn 05-29-2008 09:27 PM

Understood, I'll stick to the basics.

Dr_KY 05-30-2008 04:35 AM

Two 3/4 in and one 2'' out. If after a few cooks that's not enough then add whatever ya like.

zabor16 06-01-2008 09:01 PM

My First Drum

7 Attachment(s)
My first drum is finished and in the process of being seasoned.

The pictures.
1) The original drum.
2) After the burn out (had to do this twice, once with a weed burner and a second time with some hardwood firewood I had from a camping trip)
3) After the wire wheel.
4 & 5) Rubbed with peanut oil and ready for seasoning.
6) The finished drum.
7) The proud father of his first drum!

She is holding steady at 310 for seasoning. Probably let her go a few hours. I want to thank everyone on this forum for all their input and help. I have no doubt this is not going to be my only UDS, just my first!

ThChrMn 06-01-2008 09:03 PM

Nice!

Down to bare metal inside and out! Nice work.

zabor16 06-01-2008 09:05 PM

It wasn't easy to get it that way either. Ended up putting a 6" wire wheel on my high speed tile saw and crawling inside. My wife almost wanted to hose me off out back before I came in the house.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 06-01-2008 09:51 PM

it warms the heart to see the proud papa and his new drum

nice build zabor16

now put something in there as get on the pron wagon

Barbarian 06-01-2008 11:14 PM

Nice drum!!!!
Love the Denver Broncos colors.
LOL just kidding about the colors.
A new drumhead is born. Now show us some pron!!!!!!

Norcoredneck 06-02-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zabor16 (Post 652270)
It wasn't easy to get it that way either. Ended up putting a 6" wire wheel on my high speed tile saw and crawling inside. My wife almost wanted to hose me off out back before I came in the house.

Next time try one of these on a 1/2" threaded rod double nutted to capture. Use a drill and you can run it up and down inside .
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...neck/91279.gif

OSD 06-02-2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 652406)
Next time try one of these on a 1/2" threaded rod double nutted to capture. Use a drill and you can run it up and down inside .
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...neck/91279.gif

That's a good idea.:-D

afreemaniii 06-02-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zabor16 (Post 652260)

The pictures.
1) The original drum.
2) After the burn out (had to do this twice, once with a weed burner and a second time with some hardwood firewood I had from a camping trip)
3) After the wire wheel.
6) The finished drum.

She is holding steady at 310 for seasoning. Probably let her go a few hours. I want to thank everyone on this forum for all their input and help. I have no doubt this is not going to be my only UDS, just my first!

Quick question, what did you use on the intake to regulate the flow of air? I can't make out what you used from the pictures. I'm making one of these soon and have purchased 1/2" nipples and simple ball valves for the bottom, but your's looks a lot cleaner. Thanks

Norcoredneck 06-02-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afreemaniii (Post 652489)
I'm making one of these soon and have purchased 1/2" nipples and simple ball valves for the bottom, but your's looks a lot cleaner. Thanks

I would go 3/4".

afreemaniii 06-02-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 652493)
I would go 3/4".

Will do, thanks for the help. Simple ball valves a good idea? I'm a little concerned because they would stick out a few inches all around, but would be handy to close off any/all of the intake. I'm thinking four around the bottom.

Bbq Bubba 06-02-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afreemaniii (Post 652497)
Will do, thanks for the help. Simple ball valves a good idea? I'm a little concerned because they would stick out a few inches all around, but would be handy to close off any/all of the intake. I'm thinking four around the bottom.

3 intakes are plenty and you only need 1 of those to have a ball valve! :wink:

afreemaniii 06-02-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 652509)
3 intakes are plenty and you only need 1 of those to have a ball valve! :wink:

So two intakes can stay open all the time and the temp can be moderated with just one valve?? That is good to know. I thought the intake would be stronger than that, but this why I'm here...to learn from those that have walked the path before.

P.S. I'm pulling for a Pen's win tonight...I don't want this series to be over with yet!!

Norcoredneck 06-02-2008 07:57 AM

Agree, only 1 valve needed. I personally use close nipples. Easier to clean inside and not have to scrape build up and dodge them.

afreemaniii 06-02-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 652521)
Agree, only 1 valve needed. I personally use close nipples. Easier to clean inside and not have to scrape build up and dodge them.

Looks like I got lucky, those are ones I picked up as well. I got 1/2" before, but will be exchanging those for 3/4" on your previous recommendation.

ipls3355 06-02-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zabor16 (Post 652260)

The pictures.
1) The original drum.
3) After the wire wheel.
6) The finished drum.

I saw the colors and thought, Where's the "I"? Then I saw where your'e from and realized how accurate my thought was. You need a decal of The Chief!!

There's a good source on drums down here in Mattoon for $10 each if you're in search for more.