The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Doc Robinson 05-24-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbody396 (Post 1287090)
I did my burn today and the "red" liner is still there. The fire was HOT and it didn't do a thing to remove it. What do I have to do to get it out of there? This is my first post and my first UDS. Any help is appreciated.

Same here. I sanded it down a bit with a hand sander and a wire brush attached to a drill. I didn't get all of it. I decided, "**** it...if it ain't burning off and it ain't sanding off...it ain't cooking off." Besides, after a few cooks, it resides under a thick coating of seasoning. There are quite a few other things in my life that would kill me before some liner on my brisket.

schellter 05-24-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbody396 (Post 1287090)
I did my burn today and the "red" liner is still there. The fire was HOT and it didn't do a thing to remove it. What do I have to do to get it out of there? This is my first post and my first UDS. Any help is appreciated.

You could check the cost for having it sand blasted out.

timmy7649 05-24-2010 07:37 PM

i done that and the sand blasters wanted $80 per drum. "f" that. so i took 2 days and wire wheeled it out. what a pain in the a**. good luck.

Meat Burner 05-24-2010 08:05 PM

After a massive good burn, we sand the inside with 80 grid and then 220 sandpaper, wash it out, season with oil and it's ready to go. Worked out just fine so far. Like Doc said, at some point it isn't going to do any harm and will be covered with seasoning anyway. Good luck all!

Johnny_Crunch 05-24-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Robinson (Post 1291175)
Same here. I sanded it down a bit with a hand sander and a wire brush attached to a drill. I didn't get all of it. I decided, "**** it...if it ain't burning off and it ain't sanding off...it ain't cooking off." Besides, after a few cooks, it resides under a thick coating of seasoning. There are quite a few other things in my life that would kill me before some liner on my brisket.

What do drums cost in your area that this risk would be worth it? God knows what toxins a paint will put off. I know I felt like crap after breathing some of the smoke during my burnout. I would wait and find another drum.

pAT_13 05-24-2010 09:02 PM

I don’t have the time to read all 400 pages of post and the search turns up to many results to help, so I will just ask…

I am looking for an unlined 55G drum with lid near Harpers Ferry, WV (25425). I have found only lined so far and they are about 1.5 hr away.

fbody396 05-24-2010 09:05 PM

I did exactly what you guys said to do and had a very successfull first cook. The slab of ribs, rib tips and the whole butterflied chicken all turned out FANTASTIC. I burned the barrel twice and then got inside with an air sander with 80 grit whick did an ok job. Then I took my grinder with a wire brush and knocked almost all the rest of that "red liner from Hell" out of there. Did the heavy duty detergent wash, rinse, etc. and then seasoned it with some left over peanut oil from my turkey fryer. I am thrilled with my new UDS and this website. I'm having a ball with it. Thanks again!!! Oh......i'll post pictures when I figure out how. Any help with that would be appreciated too.

Meat Burner 05-24-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pAT_13 (Post 1291551)
I don’t have the time to read all 400 pages of post and the search turns up to many results to help, so I will just ask…

I am looking for an unlined 55G drum with lid near Harpers Ferry, WV (25425). I have found only lined so far and they are about 1.5 hr away.

No disrespect Pat, but you might want to take the time to go through the thread as there are many different ideas and ways to build a UDS. "I want it and I want it now" may not serve you well. Don't get discouraged, just do some research and you will be fine. Good luck bro!

mgp03051 05-25-2010 06:39 AM

The Twins

just wanted to post a few picke of my UDS's

Novass 05-25-2010 07:36 AM

That is a sweeeeet setup there bro

set set s

Novass 05-25-2010 07:39 AM

What the h I hate my blackberry sometimes!

Novass 05-25-2010 07:48 AM

With that much capacity you going to do comps.

BruceKWHP 05-25-2010 10:14 AM

more pics and details about the hinges please!

peppasawce 05-25-2010 12:58 PM

Kool Smokers

moda253 05-25-2010 01:04 PM

why are you breathing the smoke from your burnout? What's the point then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch (Post 1291540)
What do drums cost in your area that this risk would be worth it? God knows what toxins a paint will put off. I know I felt like crap after breathing some of the smoke during my burnout. I would wait and find another drum.