The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

stl-rich 07-24-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy (Post 1345877)
Hey Big D... You found your Weber! Good deal.

Looking at your pics, I have a couple of humble suggestions that might make your life a little easier:

1. Take a hammer and flatten out the lip of the lid. Then, put it back on the drum, center it as precisely as you can and then hammer the edges back down. This will provide you a much tighter seal - to the point where it will almost "click" into place - and will help you control temps and fuel consumption better.
2. Turn your ball valve over so the handle is on top. It will make it easier to adjust.
3. Get it up on some wheels. I used the wheels and axle from the donor Weber and cut one of the legs down to make a spacer leg for the opposite side.
4. Put some kind of ash-catcher under the coal grate. A 16" pizza pan from Wally World is like a $1.50. This will make cleaning MUCH easier.

Keep us posted on the build. I can't wait to see it all purty. :-D

Well Homey after I get your Weber and buy a drum I may be asking you some ?? about this technique. OK?

FullBoar 07-24-2010 03:54 PM

My first crack at a UDS
 
2 Attachment(s)
I just built this bad boy today. All i need now is for a friend of mine to weld up my charcoal basket and i'll be ready to try it out.:clap2: Man i can't wait, i feel like a kid in a candy store!

Norcoredneck 07-24-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullBoar (Post 1347342)
I just built this bad boy today. All i need now is for a friend of mine to weld up my charcoal basket and i'll be ready to try it out.:clap2: Man i can't wait, i feel like a kid in a candy store!

If you can I would use shorter nipples, helps with air flow and cleanup.

FullBoar 07-24-2010 04:50 PM

I didn't know that. I used the longer nipples to rest my basket on. I'll have to give it a trial run. As for cleanup i was planning to either just dump it out or break out the shop vac.

jetfxr27 07-25-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullBoar (Post 1347393)
I didn't know that. I used the longer nipples to rest my basket on. I'll have to give it a trial run. As for cleanup i was planning to either just dump it out or break out the shop vac.

Dump it out = Ashes everywhere, including all up and down your seasoned smoker walls.

Shop Vac= Risk of coals still smoldering. Which equals fire.

Be carefuls, I have done each way. if nothing else line the bottom with stron aluminum foils, then just wad it all up and throw away. I have a 9 inch pan with a lip on it that works perfect for me. $5 alt Walmart, its the little all in one Hibachi grill.

Southern Home Boy 07-25-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl-rich (Post 1347247)
Well Homey after I get your Weber and buy a drum I may be asking you some ?? about this technique. OK?

Of course. Sam picked up the Weber today and drove it off. I stood by the curb and waved good bye with a little tear trickling down my cheek... :wink:

Yeah, when you get back in town feel free to stop by. I'll show what I did with mine and what I'm planning on doing differently with my next one.

stl-rich 07-25-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy (Post 1348005)
Yeah, when you get back in town feel free to stop by. I'll show what I did with mine and what I'm planning on doing differently with my next one.

Did you see the CL listing I posted for $40 oak barrels in Wood River? May change my plans to build a UDS :mod:

michaelp 07-25-2010 03:30 PM

Holy crap. Over 1,000,000 views. :idea:

FullBoar 07-25-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelp (Post 1348042)
Holy crap. Over 1,000,000 views. :idea:

Doesn't surprise me a bit... lost count of how many times i've viewed it myself. It's a great thread on a great website!

FullBoar 07-25-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetfxr27 (Post 1347841)
Dump it out = Ashes everywhere, including all up and down your seasoned smoker walls.

Shop Vac= Risk of coals still smoldering. Which equals fire.

Be carefuls, I have done each way. if nothing else line the bottom with stron aluminum foils, then just wad it all up and throw away. I have a 9 inch pan with a lip on it that works perfect for me. $5 alt Walmart, its the little all in one Hibachi grill.

Good point about the ashes up and down the walls, i hadn't given that any consideration.
thanks jeff

Norcoredneck 07-25-2010 05:53 PM

Also don't forget the beginning of time...in the UDS thread.
Thirdeye hoe scoop.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=584

chaddie 07-25-2010 06:30 PM

I do agree with Norco. Go back to the tread. But... what I did. I had some thin SS sheet stock, flat, cut it a few in. larger than my basket. It gives good air flow, but be careful when you lift it out!

Southern Home Boy 07-25-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl-rich (Post 1348036)
Did you see the CL listing I posted for $40 oak barrels in Wood River? May change my plans to build a UDS :mod:

Nice. I've seen a few smokers made out of both wiskey and wine barrels. Heard good things. Have to admit I'm tempted to try to make one myself. They're just so damned pretty.

The one thing that I keep worrying about though, is the constant heat drying out the staves and causing them to shrink thus creating big gaps.

AND.. as we all know Gaps = bad. Loss of air intake control, run away temps, over use of fuel....

Still, I really like the look and love the idea.

chaddie 07-25-2010 07:09 PM

Noro, I do agree! But.. what I did. I had some thin SS stock, cut it a few in. larger than my basket and attached it. It's flat does'nt retrist air flow. It's a good ash pan. Just take care as you remove it.

BIG_DEANS_QUE 07-25-2010 07:18 PM

Yup i Work for a brewery and i can get Wine and Whiskey Barrels for about 50$ a pop im sooo thinkin about making one hehe


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.