The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Need new freezer - Manual or Auto defrost? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214080)

brimclau 07-13-2015 11:22 AM

Need new freezer - Manual or Auto defrost?

Hi All,

Did a quick search and could not find a thread on this so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I've read that the auto-defrost function actually takes the freezer internal temp from < 0* to almost 32 several times per day to prevent ice crystal build up on shelves and walls of freezer. While not having to manually defrost once or twice a year this does not sound like the best way to keep meat.

Am I better off with a manual defrost freezer? (BTW, looking at upright models due to footprint requirements)

thanks!

Porcine Perfection 07-18-2015 05:07 PM

I am far from an expert but am over 50. :-P I don't think anything gets hurt in the short amount of time that the defrost cycle occurs.

NBBD 07-18-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimclau (Post 3299827)
Hi All,

freezer internal temp from < 0* to almost 32 several times per day to prevent ice crystal build up on shelves and walls of freezer.

Also not an expert on the subject... but that's what happens in the freezers and coolers of vendors everyday ... auto defrost for about an hour twice per day.

acguy 07-19-2015 01:12 PM

I am an expert. The temperature of a freezer can reach above 30 during defrost. It's all about how much defrost time is needed. However, that doesn't mean the product will reach that temp. Your product should stay at or below the setting. So, when the freezer comes out of defrost, it will return to the setpoint temp very quickly.

A restaurant W/I must have an auto defrost. The defrost is to keep the coil from icing up and not the walls or anything else. The door frame will also have a defrost heater on it.

If fans move the air in the unit, it will have a defrost circuit.

A household freezer can be purchased with or without a defrost. Household freezers have a static coil. I don't bother with buying a defrost on my chest freezer. Every so often I get rid of the ice on the walls by hand and clean the freezer up while I'm at it. A defrost circuit on this freezer will double it's energy use.

dadsr4 07-19-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acguy (Post 3305993)
I am an expert. The temperature of a freezer can reach above 30 during defrost. It's all about how much defrost time is needed. However, that doesn't mean the product will reach that temp. Your product should stay at or below the setting. So, when the freezer comes out of defrost, it will return to the setpoint temp very quickly.

A restaurant W/I must have an auto defrost. The defrost is to keep the coil from icing up and not the walls or anything else. The door frame will also have a defrost heater on it.

A household freezer can be purchased with or without a defrost. Household freezers have a static coil. I don't bother with buying a defrost on my chest freezer. Every so often I get rid of the ice on the walls by hand and clean the freezer up while I'm at it. A defrost circuit on this freezer will double it's energy use.

This is why I have defrost shut off. The turnaround in a commercial freezer is higher, so there is less chance of food damage.

Eddiecalder 07-19-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acguy (Post 3305993)

The door heater is either always on or controlled by an anti-sweat relay. It has nothing to do with the defrost cycle.

Not that this matters to anyone not in the trade ;-)

(i know whaylt you meant but as a refrigeration mechanic I had to say somthing)
You do refrigeration or HVAC?

acguy 07-19-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddiecalder (Post 3306018)
You do refrigeration or HVAC?

In trade for 30 years. Been service tech to GM and worked on both sides of the US. Worked in everything from Denny's to the Kennedy Center, Victoria's Secret to the Washington Monument.

toymaster 07-20-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acguy (Post 3306074)
In trade for 30 years. Been service tech to GM and worked on both sides of the US. Worked in everything from Denny's to the Kennedy Center, Victoria's Secret to the Washington Monument.

Bet that A/C in Victoria's Secret stayed broke :shocked:. Must have required several trips to fix :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Porcine Perfection 07-20-2015 01:53 PM

Or fix it right, sit back, and watch the show.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yUKzfBiTmB...MY-NIPPLES.jpg

TedW 07-20-2015 03:20 PM

Any recommendations for a reliable upright brand?

acguy 07-22-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedW (Post 3307130)
Any recommendations for a reliable upright brand?

It's all about your use. If you do a bit of research, you'll find different models have suggested uses. A unit that sits on the line of a busy restaurant needs to be hearty. That's where a Traulsen would be best. It tends to be a very durable line. A unit that only gets opened once or twice a day is light use and for that you can look at True or Bev Air. A Traulsen is about twice the cost of other lines. But it will take a beating that others cant.

acguy 07-22-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toymaster (Post 3306878)
Bet that A/C in Victoria's Secret stayed broke :shocked:. Must have required several trips to fix :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Sounds better that it was. We serviced around 120 locations in VA, DC, and MA. The store full of good looking women asking about the bra fit only happens on sitcoms. We saw mostly older overweight women shopping for things that left scary mental images when it was given any thought.

We did do a strip club that received extremely prompt and extensive attention to even the most minor of complaints.

brimclau 07-22-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcine Perfection (Post 3307060)
Or fix it right, sit back, and watch the show.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yUKzfBiTmB...MY-NIPPLES.jpg

Ha!!! love it - thanks guys. I think I'm going with a good ol Frigidaire upright with manual defrost.

TedW 07-22-2015 12:53 PM

I bought a frigidaire upright last night. Frost-free

PatAttack 07-22-2015 03:13 PM

Don't forget about Continental Freezers and Refrigerators.

Along the same line and quality as a Traulsen but not as expensive.