The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Sterling 01-14-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny (Post 1511740)
I was told it was used for tomato paste, although there is a sticker outside that says something about toulene :confused:

Might just get it sandblasted for the heck of it.

What did it smell like? Toluene is quite toxic, but it is also quite volatile and doesn't leave much residue.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t3913.htm

Your choice, but an unlined barrel of automatic transmission fluid is virtually non toxic, and very safe after a burnout or two. Any large volume truck service center should have them for the asking.

Sterling

deer slayer 01-15-2011 08:37 AM

i've been thinking of using an aluminum fryer basket as a charcoal basket. would one with 11.25" diameter and 7" tall be a good consideration for $20 instead of using a grate and expanded metal to fabricate one?

SwampassJ 01-15-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deer slayer (Post 1513793)
i've been thinking of using an aluminum fryer basket as a charcoal basket. would one with 11.25" diameter and 7" tall be a good consideration for $20 instead of using a grate and expanded metal to fabricate one?

I used one out of my 15 gallon pot today. Worked perfect with chunk charcoal.

I'm actually having trouble getting the temps down at this moment because of how my lid fitting. Fired it up with four 1" intakes open and both bungholes open. Hit and held at 400 degrees for half an hour. Removed the lid and soared above 550 above my thermometers reading ability.

Got it back down to 350 and grilled some chicken breasts. Little finnicky on temps still but came out tasty.

Right now I have one 1" intake open 1/8th of the way and I'm holding at 275 with just the little bung hole open. I'm going to mess with the lid this week to see about a better fit.

smokeyw 01-15-2011 03:35 PM

Okay, I have been bitten with the UDS sickness. I scored 4 drums today with removable lids. They were used to store food grade grease. I am anxious to get started! I will take some pics as I go.

DesMar 01-15-2011 09:58 PM

Wait!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny (Post 1511740)
I was told it was used for tomato paste, although there is a sticker outside that says something about toulene :confused:

Might just get it sandblasted for the heck of it.


Sorry i did not post for a while. WAIT do not use!! Toulene is very harmfull. We use it to thin paint at work and if you do not use thick rubber gloves it will dry out your hands to almost white. I would suggest finding a food grade drum (with painted inside) and burn a couple of pallets in it.

Then wire wheel it clean and spray with Pam and season it a couple of times at 350`. That is what I did and have not looked back since.

Beware Toulene is a thinner, but stronger than your normal thinner you buy at HD.

Just my $.01

smokeyw 01-16-2011 09:57 AM

Plastic Bushings in lid bungs
 
I unbolted the lids on my barrels today. The bungs in the lids are a plastic or nylon material. I thought "no problem, I will just put a metal bung in the small one and screw a pipe stack in the large one for the exhaust". However, there are some type of plastic bushings that the bungs screw into. Has anyone run into this? I cut through one of them with a jigsaw and have still not been able to get it out. It has a flange on the bottom side of the lid with holes like maybe a spanner wrench could be used to remove it but I can't budge it.

SwampassJ 01-16-2011 04:32 PM

Follow up on using the basket from the 15 gallon aluminum pot. Trying to max my temps was a very bad idea, I have managed to burn right through the bottom of the basket. Now I have to get an expanded steel basket.

Dr_KY 01-16-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyw (Post 1514607)
I unbolted the lids on my barrels today. The bungs in the lids are a plastic or nylon material. I thought "no problem, I will just put a metal bung in the small one and screw a pipe stack in the large one for the exhaust". However, there are some type of plastic bushings that the bungs screw into. Has anyone run into this? I cut through one of them with a jigsaw and have still not been able to get it out. It has a flange on the bottom side of the lid with holes like maybe a spanner wrench could be used to remove it but I can't budge it.

Fire will remove most anything. :becky:

smokeyw 01-16-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 1514969)
Fire will remove most anything. :becky:

Yeah, I ended up doing that. Heated it till soft and then popped them out. Now I have to figure out what kind of exhaust I will do. I'm tempted to plug both holes and drill the eight 1/2" holes. But then again I just found a brand new 22 1/2" kingsford kettle in Craigslist new in the box for $40. The lid may just fit.

jcinadr 01-17-2011 11:07 AM

I don't know if I can explain mine well. The bung had a rubberish white cover with an aluminum retaining band. I cut the band off, then removed the cover. Then used a vice grip and unscrewed the metal bung plug.

As for cutting 8 holes - what will happen when it rains when you are smoking? If your lid is shapped like mine - all the water that hits the lid will go in the pit.

Dr_KY 01-17-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcinadr (Post 1515519)
I don't know if I can explain mine well. The bung had a rubberish white cover with an aluminum retaining band. I cut the band off, then removed the cover. Then used a vice grip and unscrewed the metal bung plug.

As for cutting 8 holes - what will happen when it rains when you are smoking? If your lid is shapped like mine - all the water that hits the lid will go in the pit.

Sounds fairly standard.

ChicagoSizzlin 01-17-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyw (Post 1514987)
Yeah, I ended up doing that. Heated it till soft and then popped them out. Now I have to figure out what kind of exhaust I will do. I'm tempted to plug both holes and drill the eight 1/2" holes. But then again I just found a brand new 22 1/2" kingsford kettle in Craigslist new in the box for $40. The lid may just fit.


I opened up the bigger hole and thats it lol. I didnt bother putting any type of exhaust on it and it works just fine.

smokeyw 01-17-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoSizzlin (Post 1515549)
I opened up the bigger hole and thats it lol. I didnt bother putting any type of exhaust on it and it works just fine.

I did pick up the 22 1/2" kingsford kettle for $40. If the lid fits I may use it on the UDS. If not I will just plug the small hole on the existing lid and leave the large one open like you suggested? I just went to Lowes and I think I got everything I needed except the expanded metal. I spent $68 there. This thing is getting out of hand but I'm having fun. I can't wait to cook on it.

SkinnyVinny 01-17-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesMar (Post 1514368)
Sorry i did not post for a while. WAIT do not use!! Toulene is very harmfull. We use it to thin paint at work and if you do not use thick rubber gloves it will dry out your hands to almost white. I would suggest finding a food grade drum (with painted inside) and burn a couple of pallets in it.

Then wire wheel it clean and spray with Pam and season it a couple of times at 350`. That is what I did and have not looked back since.

Beware Toulene is a thinner, but stronger than your normal thinner you buy at HD.

Just my $.01


Thanks. The sticker on the barrel says " inhibited with less than 20 ppm of butyl hydroxy toulene"

I'll be taking the drum to a place to get it sandblasted. Thanks for the help!

ChicagoSizzlin 01-17-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyw (Post 1515655)
I did pick up the 22 1/2" kingsford kettle for $40. If the lid fits I may use it on the UDS. If not I will just plug the small hole on the existing lid and leave the large one open like you suggested? I just went to Lowes and I think I got everything I needed except the expanded metal. I spent $68 there. This thing is getting out of hand but I'm having fun. I can't wait to cook on it.


I also have a weber lid I use when cooking both or top grates. I actually prefer to use top grate now and I think I get more of a smoke taste as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.