The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

barbqrken 10-26-2011 06:37 PM

Good info. Building a new UDS myself

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...lfirstburn.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthole (Post 1828735)
I have mine at 5" below and 12" below the lip using a weber lid. This way I can get 2 butts on each rack without touching the lid or easily do beer can chicken on both racks. I have the bolts in place for the optional flower pot heat diffuser which lets me run it exactly like a WSM or take it out and just use the top rack traditional UDS style.

BillywannaQ 10-26-2011 09:27 PM

My UDS has a flat lid. I put my rack 8 inches from the top. If I want to add a top rack, is 3 inches enough clearance from the lid to cook some baby back ribs? Thanks.

coewar 10-27-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhollar (Post 1829603)
Thanks for all the responses, coewar do you have a photo of how you have your racks? Also are the legs zinc or stainless.
Nthole on yours having your lower rack 12 inches below do you have any issues getting burnt or too hot. New to this habit, I am now on my third UDS in less than 2 months, wife really don't complan now that she has found out when I smoke she don't cook. win win.:clap2:

Most of my bolts are the normal grade steel which may have zinc coating.

I spray all of it thoroughly with a cooking oil (olive oil works great, but PAM stuff is fine too.) Inside of the drum too and rubbing it helps. Lid too. Then I heat the drum at least to 350 degrees for at least 30 mins. This will season and seal everything inside and if you do it well, it will have a nice coat that actually won't rub off easily.

And once you start cooking, everything will be coated in black stuff. The zinc in the metals there shouldn't pose any problem at this point, even without all this prep. The temperatures that zinc starts coming off the metal is much higher than you'd ever smoke at. Only the charcoal itself gets hot enough. I also heard the zinc poisoning is only if inhaled.

When you purchase cooking grates for any grill, they sometimes are stainless steel and sometimes the same grade with potentially zinc in it.

I don't have a pic, but there are some on this site. I found some long bolts that either have a head large enough not to fall through the grates, or I got enough fender washers (large washers) and nuts to attach them to the grate and also create "feet" for them so when standing on another grate, they won't fall through. I just used 3 per grate. Some have done 4 legs.

And you can adjust the height if needed by just moving the nuts and washers down the bolt.

nthole 10-27-2011 01:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhollar (Post 1829603)
Thanks for all the responses, coewar do you have a photo of how you have your racks? Also are the legs zinc or stainless.
Nthole on yours having your lower rack 12 inches below do you have any issues getting burnt or too hot. New to this habit, I am now on my third UDS in less than 2 months, wife really don't complan now that she has found out when I smoke she don't cook. win win.:clap2:

I ONLY use the lower rack if the heat diffuser is in place. Otherwise, yes, that would essentially be grilling level!

canoe 10-27-2011 03:29 PM

I am thinking about building my pops a uds. He really likes mine. So I am planning on using a weber again for parts. Last time I built my fire basket with the expanded metal and weber charcoal grate. This time I am thinking about just triming the top off the bottom of the weber kettle and using it. How's that work out for folks? Seems much easier and it makes better use of my parts weber kettle.

PhilipW 10-28-2011 07:37 AM

I'm visiting Petaluma / Santa Rosa Cal next weekend and looking for a place to get a barrel to build a friend a smoker for while visiting. Does anybody know of a place to find them? I'd prefer a removable top for the build. New is ok as well.

byounghusband 10-28-2011 10:46 AM

Anyone know of a place in the Dallas area to get a drum sandblasted on the inside or a reasonable price? Burn Bans make it a bit tough to remove the liner.... I got quotes from $75 to $175

Big Joe TX 10-29-2011 08:59 AM

byounghusband, I don't know where to get it sandblasted, but, I bought a brand new drum that has never been used and does not have a liner. It was alot cheaper than the sandblasting. See the info below.

2214 SINGLETON BLVD
DALLAS, TEXAS

For more information email us at [email protected]
(214) 638-7027
Fax: (214) 638-3786
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Heavy duty drum: $44.50
Extra heavy duty drum: $49.00
Removable Bolt / Ring lid
2” & ¾” bung in lid
New drum never used / no liner / metal only

Big Joe

RangerJ 10-29-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Joe TX (Post 1833303)
byounghusband, I don't know where to get it sandblasted, but, I bought a brand new drum that has never been used and does not have a liner. It was alot cheaper than the sandblasting. See the info below.

2214 SINGLETON BLVD
DALLAS, TEXAS

For more information email us at [email protected]
(214) 638-7027
Fax: (214) 638-3786
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Heavy duty drum: $44.50
Extra heavy duty drum: $49.00
Removable Bolt / Ring lid
2” & ¾” bung in lid
New drum never used / no liner / metal only

Big Joe

When I was building mine in Phoenix, this is the route I went. For me, it was a matter of what my time was worth to get the liner out. I decided to go with new drums for both of mine.

They were about double what is listed above, thats a great price!

RangerJ 10-29-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillywannaQ (Post 1830713)
My UDS has a flat lid. I put my rack 8 inches from the top. If I want to add a top rack, is 3 inches enough clearance from the lid to cook some baby back ribs? Thanks.

I think it is, but I'd say purchase a rack and measure them to the highest point. Not much else will fit like that. it was my original configuration. Then I went out and found lids to weber kettles which give me much more room for whatever I want to use on the top rack.

pwa 10-29-2011 11:45 PM

My son and I built this over the weekend and planning on cooking a pork butt on it tomorrow. Still need to paint it guess that's next weekends project. :-D Black and Gold of course GO STEELERS!!

pwa
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8025/img3668e.jpg

Pappy 10-30-2011 06:26 AM

I was thinking "Dang, where are you at with all that snow, Alaska?" Then I looked at your location. :tape:

pwa 10-30-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy (Post 1834124)
I was thinking "Dang, where are you at with all that snow, Alaska?" Then I looked at your location. :tape:

LoL and were just getting started with that white stuff.... actual were behind the norm but I'm sure it coming soon. Just fired up the UDS it -2F out were see how it does.

pwa

barbqrken 10-30-2011 09:51 AM

I still think

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwa (Post 1834078)
My son and I built this over the weekend and planning on cooking a pork butt on it tomorrow. Still need to paint it guess that's next weekends project. :-D Black and Gold of course GO STEELERS!!

pwa
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8025/img3668e.jpg

I still think that if one was to work all day long on one of these, you could build it, paint it, and cook on it by 6 in the evening.

mmmmeat 10-31-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbqrken (Post 1834212)
I still think that if one was to work all day long on one of these, you could build it, paint it, and cook on it by 6 in the evening.

Almost huh! I get mine all built, in about 3 hours, then burn it out during the night (love sittin round a fire at night, but move that up to right after build 4 hour burnout, cool, and scrub, build the fire basket during burn out, I agree it could be done

Posted from my fancy android fone!!