The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

schellter 04-11-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabbd (Post 1245206)
Just got her done today! Butts on and smoke rolling. So far so good. Let ya know how the finished products are.

Nice drum but I can't believe they actually let you have a Husker drum in Iowa!!!!????

Big Money Grip 04-12-2010 01:25 PM

What is a good thermometer to use on these? I just ordered the one from spicewine but I'd like to have one that I could stick in the meat and have the read out on the outside.
Thanks,
BMG

Rodney 04-12-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Money Grip (Post 1247657)
What is a good thermometer to use on these? I just ordered the one from spicewine but I'd like to have one that I could stick in the meat and have the read out on the outside.
Thanks,
BMG

Most people go for something like the Maverick ET-73. It'll watch your smoker temp too, and it's wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediC...1100218&sr=8-1

McGurk 04-12-2010 02:24 PM

WOW. I am done. 5700+ posts, browsed, scanned, picked apart, mulled over, and digested.

I have procured all of the materials needed except for the expanded metal, and a 2'x2' sheet of that is available at HD for $19. If I can't source anything else, I'll just go and buy that. 2) barrels, 3) full weber grills for parts and lids, misc fittings, the valve, and other hardware. Got the lid off of the 1st drum (unlined) and popped the intake holes, and am looking to do a burn this week.

Couple of thoughts. I loved to see all of the different builds, and only a couple of things popped out at me that didn't seem to be covered. First: Intake height on the "fatman mods." Not the valve rod extension, but the elbow and pipe extension to get the ball valve up high. I didn't see it often, but I did see it in a couple of builds where the intake is above the exhausts. That looks like trouble to me. Make sure to keep the valve below the top of your barrel (or the bottom of the lid for that matter in the case of the domed lids). Otherwise, you may end up with a restricted intake, or worst case scenario; smoke actually exiting your intake!

The other thing I saw was the popularity of using elbows and extensions of the intakes, including the capped intakes. Every bend, turn, and extension will reduce your volume of intake relative to the pipe size. If you are inclined to bend and extend your intakes, I'd recommend upping your intake size from 3/4" to 1" or larger to compensate. I do like the single 2" pipe intake with 1) valve running up the side of the drum, but am staying true(ish) to the KISS method for the first one.

I want to thanks the big hitters in here, especially Norco, and specifically MushCreek for the grill/smoker mod. Hanging the fire basket up high for grill use makes a TON of sense to me, and I will be incorporating that into my first build. Pix to come as time allows!

My only question is specific to using it as a grill; are the standard 3) 3/4" intakes enough to get high temps for grilling purposes? I am thinking of adding 3) more intakes with caps incase I need more air. Should they be along the bottom like the others, or up high where the fire basket will be suspended? Thanks in advance.

Big Money Grip 04-12-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 1247730)
Most people go for something like the Maverick ET-73. It'll watch your smoker temp too, and it's wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediC...1100218&sr=8-1

Rodney,
Is this one that I can leave in the smoker( the wire won't burn)?

h20loo 04-12-2010 03:22 PM

Couple of thoughts. I loved to see all of the different builds, and only a couple of things popped out at me that didn't seem to be covered. First: Intake height on the "fatman mods." Not the valve rod extension, but the elbow and pipe extension to get the ball valve up high. I didn't see it often, but I did see it in a couple of builds where the intake is above the exhausts. That looks like trouble to me. Make sure to keep the valve below the top of your barrel (or the bottom of the lid for that matter in the case of the domed lids). Otherwise, you may end up with a restricted intake, or worst case scenario; smoke actually exiting your intake
wrong

My only question is specific to using it as a grill; are the standard 3) 3/4" intakes enough to get high temps for grilling purposes? I am thinking of adding 3) more intakes with caps incase I need more air. Should they be along the bottom like the others, or up high where the fire basket will be suspended? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you got most things right but I would suggest starting with a 2" hole and adding holes if you find they are needed. If you are cooking in the winter you will need the 2" for bird unless you insulate your barrel.
Taps can cause you heartburn in MN as the inside diameter is restricted and you need some air to get to 350 when its -40 out. The vents do little for grilling as you usually have the lid off quite a bit and the coals are going good.

McGurk 04-12-2010 03:40 PM

Thanks for responding H20loo. I am not putting in a 2" intake, but the standard 3) 3/4" intakes, with one of them having a ball valve. My question is to put up to 3) additional 3/4" holes with nipples and caps for higher temp cooking (chicken or grilling) and as you said, possibly for winter use.

Oh yeah, I saw a picture in this thread with smoke billowing out of his 3/4" intake, which was about a foot above the top of his drum. I'm not saying to not raise your intake(s) up, but instead to not put your highest intake above the top of your exhaust outlet.

Rodney 04-12-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Money Grip (Post 1247795)
Rodney,

Yeah, while you're cooking, but it hangs from the grill, so you have to take it out when you take the grill out. As for heat tolerance, I think they build the cables with teflon wire and then put stainless steel braid over it, so they're good for over 400 degrees. The point of the ET-73 is that you can set up the smoker thermometer on the cooking chamber and the meat thermometer on the meat, turn on the transmitter, bring the receiver in the house, and always know the progress of the meat and the "health" of your fire. Guys on here put 'em on their nightstands when they're doing overnight cooks of huge pork shoulders, etc. Pretty sweet!

-Rodney

Gonesledn 04-12-2010 06:36 PM

guess i havent posted my pics on this thread yet.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...0MTAtMTMzM.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...0MDMtMTc0N.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...0MDItMTk0N.jpg

woodbutcher1 04-12-2010 07:14 PM

finally getting my parts together and starting the assy. Picked uo a knock off weber grill for $10 to use as optional lits when useing 2 grates. Burned out the barrel yesterday. Dirty work today,cleaning it up.

Bluesman 04-12-2010 08:21 PM

Here's mine...Smokin' Bucky

NASCARican 04-12-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGurk (Post 1247732)
WOW. I am done. 5700+ posts, browsed, scanned, picked apart, mulled over, and digested.

I want to thanks the big hitters in here, especially Norco, and specifically MushCreek for the grill/smoker mod. Hanging the fire basket up high for grill use makes a TON of sense to me, and I will be incorporating that into my first build. Pix to come as time allows!

Man, how did I miss this mod!!...do you remember around what post that was? I was thinking of doing this myself...like to check this out.

Sammy_Shuford 04-13-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Money Grip (Post 1247795)
Rodney,

I have one I use in my bradley smoker, it's exposed 1/2 of the cable in my 250 smoker, no problem.

woodbutcher1 04-13-2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 1248172)
Here's mine...Smokin' Bucky

What i see here, your Smokin' Bucky is much to PURTY to quailify as a UDS,mine does.:peace:

Bluesman 04-13-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 (Post 1248438)
What i see here, your Smokin' Bucky is much to PURTY to quailify as a UDS,mine does.:peace:

I don't think he'll be PURTY that long.:laugh: