The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

sensor 02-12-2014 10:24 AM

[IMG]/Users/ensor/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2014/Feb 10, 2014/Photo on 2-10-14 at 3.18 PM.jpg[/IMG]
I am on my way. The 4 1/2" grinder with the thin blade made a nice cut on the lid.

sensor 02-12-2014 10:26 AM

I guess I have to figure out how to post pics.

sensor 02-12-2014 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 91315
Got it figured out

krshome 02-13-2014 06:05 PM

Giving birth to the next UDS

1 Attachment(s)
This bad boy is going to be for my buddy.

TropicDad 02-13-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitmar (Post 2798647)
Believe me, there is nothing as frustrating as studying these threads for nights on end then trying to find a drum, sometimes any drum, in a non-industrialized part of the country. I ended up paying expensive freight from another part of the country.

I saw this on craigslist, 55 gallon drums. Doesn't say what exactly was in it but a phone call can find out. It says located in Middleburg, probably 3 hours from you? Might be worth a drive if you want another one! Can't have too many.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/grd/4332642145.html

krshome 02-14-2014 06:06 AM

I had a hard time locating a drum for my first UDS but now know where to look. Find auto oil change place that changes transmission fluid too the fluid comes in 55 gal drums. Great thing about trams fluid the drum is unlined and clean on the inside a good burn and you'll have a perfect drum.

Douger 02-14-2014 11:23 PM

Ebay has food grade unlined for $39 delivered. Received mine yesterday and it was in great condition. It had soybean oil in it. Ready to get the UDS rolling.:hungry:

Douger 02-14-2014 11:43 PM

Cannot wait to start, buddys UDS food is amazing

knitmar 02-14-2014 11:56 PM

Is this the Ebay ad that reads " ship ONLY MN IA IL NE WI ND SD"

Douger 02-15-2014 07:07 PM

yup.. email them if not in the area and pay freight? It would be worth it to me. I have buddies who burned out lining and said never again.

jcinadr 02-17-2014 09:30 AM

powdercoating

Stupid question for the most part, but curious what people's experience with powder-coating is. I know price is very dependent on the shop. But how am curious how much it has run people and if they think it was worth it.

Second issue is even more personal. My current UDS is about 3 years old. It has a decent bit of rust showing through the factory paint. Is it worth cleaning up, or should I just grab a new drum and start from scratch.

Thinking about it because it needs some minor repairs anyway. I had been using it with a BBQ Guru (worked phenomenally), but I upgraded to an BGE this summer and have ignored my poor old ugly drum. Unfortunately after 6 months of Egging, I think the drum simply smokes better. My drum was a great stick-burner, and sticks make better smoke. I tried to test that 2 weeks ago, but only found out that I needed to rework the drums plumbing. My blower was apparently killed by ant (opened it up to see quite a bit of wire insulation missing - next time will remove the blower between cooks). The shorted fan in turn blew out the relay in my Guru brains. No frustration with BBQ Guru - my own fault for leaving my blower out and not examining it for damage.

Wanted a CyberQ Wifi anyway... But it would look better on a powder coated drum (especially if it is going to sit besides my egg).

ebijack 02-17-2014 01:50 PM

FWIsmoker from another post "I got mine sandblasted and powder coated for about 80 dollars"

erbeman 02-17-2014 01:56 PM

I paid $100 for sandblast and high temp powder coat.

jcinadr 02-18-2014 09:39 AM

I guess I need to move forward with the eternal quest of perfecting my UDS. My drum already has a very effective air intake diffuser, great fire basket and ash pan and a DigiQ II. I don't think any changes will really improve the quality of the cook...

1) improve air management system with CyberQ Wifi and a removable blower
2) improve convenience and mobility with casters or cart (currently sitting on bricks)
3) improve water management with water shedding lid (current lid holds water)
4) improve bbq'er attitude by adding bottle opener.
5) improve capacity by adding additional grid
6) improve capacity by adding removable smoker box (for making smoked sausage)
6) improve aesthetics with powdercoat

So many little things to make life better.

VivaTerlingua 02-19-2014 03:02 AM

This is what I'm working with these days. I've got a stainless drum that I will build when I move for school.

http://i.imgur.com/fXJK3i2.jpg