• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Holding butts

Brian in So Cal

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I pulled my butts off at 7:30 am, Can I keep them foiled and wraped in towel in the cooler until 1:00? That probably will be the soonest I can pull them. They smoked little faster than I thought.

I have held them for four hours before but not 5 1/2. Jus wondering if they would get mushy.

Thanks

How many butts? If it's just a couple I don't think there will be enough thermal mass to keep them cooking. I've held two butts in the cooler for 4 hours without hem getting mushy.

Just keep a thermometer in one to make sure that they don't go below 140 as time goes on.

I had 6 butts in cooler once pulled off smoker at 3:00am held them till10:00am then pulled them, they were great. you will be all right

had a picture but will refrain. Just remember to preheat the cooler.

You try the Frankendera yet?

Oh yea, Used it to make a chitload of ABT's for the neighbors. That thing works awesome. Used trays with holes in them and they smoked up great. Built up some arm strength also moving it around.:-D

Will try ribs next.

Thanks for that Frankendera. Will post pics next time.

I've held two butts in a cooler wrapped in towels for just over five hours so I could smoke some ribs. I think I was at the limit because it was just about to get a bit mushy, but it was still really good. I think I'd conisder pulling after about 2 hours and actually do the pulling, add a bit of sauce and wrap it up until you're ready. I think it might be better to reheat than to cooler too long.

Any other opinions? This is an issue for me too since I usually need to do the butts seperate from the ribs.

Back