The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New smoker seasoning overload (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168334)

Rat_Salad 08-11-2013 09:33 PM

New smoker seasoning overload

Scouring forum and I have found so much conflicting information on seasoning and many discussions were about WSM and UDS.

I have a Chubby on its way.. I have consolidated everything into one list.. Is this too much??

(Avoided the discussion about oil vs lard here by refering to it as LUBE)

Step 1
Heat with no water or lube at 350 for an hour (charcoal)
-Water Pan in
-Heat Diverter in
-Racks in

Step 2
Let Box cool

Step 3
a. Hand Lube inside of box(spray lube where you cant hand/brush lube)
b. Spray Lube other areas
-Racks
-Water Pan
-Heat Diverter
-Inside of firebox

Step 4
Heat to 325 3 hours no water (charcoal and some wood)
-Water Pan in
-Heat Diverter in
-Racks in

Done

IamMadMan 08-11-2013 09:58 PM

With my humphrey's I simply did only steps 3 and 4....

el_matt 08-12-2013 02:52 PM

The last couple of UDS that I built, I merely sprayed the interior with PAM, and lit a fire in the basket.

Matt

Teamfour 08-12-2013 02:55 PM

For my Party I just sprayed the heck out of everything inside the cook chamber including racks and water pan with a vegetable oil spray (PAM). I cranked the temp up to 350 and let an entire charcoal basket burn out.

DownHomeQue 08-12-2013 02:55 PM

just steps 3 and 4 extra lube.. will melt and run out.. lol

Smokin' Gnome BBQ 08-12-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt (Post 2586276)
The last couple of UDS that I built, I merely sprayed the interior with PAM, and lit a fire in the basket.

Matt

that's how I have done all my cookers.

ButtBurner 08-12-2013 03:04 PM

the reason for the dry burn (step 1 2 ) is to burn off any manufacturing oils before you season it

not sure how much that matters, but how I always do it is get a good hot fire in it dry, then let it cool and do again with lube

dwfisk 08-12-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownHomeQue (Post 2586285)
just steps 3 and 4 extra lube.. will melt and run out.. lol

^ this works fine, at least on our stickburners; I don't see what #1 & #2 get you and at step #3 I'm not sure I would LUBE the inside of your firebox? I agree that any food grade LUBE will work fine, I use peanut oil and/or pam but that is just me.

DownHomeQue 08-12-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2586300)
the reason for the dry burn (step 1 2 ) is to burn off any manufacturing oils before you season it

not sure how much that matters, but how I always do it is get a good hot fire in it dry, then let it cool and do again with lube

I would hit a new pit with a Weedburner to burn off any manufacturing oils.. or impurities.. then steps 3 and 4..

J-Rod 08-12-2013 03:57 PM

...or you can get it good and hot for a while to burn off any nasties then toss on a few fatties and some chicken...

Uomograsso 08-12-2013 04:24 PM

I bought an empty spray bottle at my grocery store and filled it with oil and used that to spray the inside of my smoker. I didn't want to use PAM as there are some additives other than oil. That might not bother some, but I wanted pure oil.