No weld Drum basket

Bbq Bubba

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Finally got around to making a "proper" basket for my drum.

By imn88fan

Started with a 8" x 48" piece of expando, bent carefully around a propane tank to form the shape and bolted together....

By imn88fan

Used bailing wire to tie it to a Weber kettle charcoal grate.....

By imn88fan

Added 3 - 3 1/2"x5/16" carriage bolts with double washers and nuts for feet....

By imn88fan

Use a length of thick wire for a handle and you've got a basket capable of 14 hr + burns! :biggrin:

Oh Bubba!

That's the ticket,

you could get "carbon credits" for that.

Two questions...

1. How long is the handle you have on there? I am guessing short enough to not bother the cooking grate once placed inside the drum.

2. This wqill be more for those that weld...unless Tig welding and using specific stainless to cold rolled filler rod...how would you weld the expanded metal basket to the stainless charcoal grate?

Nice job man. way to make due with what you have!! I bet it works great!

What are your dimensions on it?

Hmmm..just realized that is 3 questions!

To weld stainless to steel you can use stainless rod or wire. If I am not mistaken that is a steel charcoal grate from a weber. I use ones from Home Depot. A 18" kettle replacement is 14" and cost less than $9. they also have them for the smaller ones. Most grills like webers use plated steel grills anyway.

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

To weld stainless to steel you can use stainless rod or wire. If I am not mistaken that is a steel charcoal grate from a weber. I use ones from Home Depot. A 18" kettle replacement is 14" and cost less than $9. they also have them for the smaller ones. Most grills like webers use plated steel grills anyway.

Good to know..I thought they were stainless...not that it actually matters because I will be tig welding all of my stuff with a Miller Synchrowave 250 (water cooled) ! :biggrin:

So the handle is to easily remove the trash that is thrown into the garbage can ?? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bubba...I have a can of "Aqua Net", 2 quarters and an old toothbrush...can you make me a mini UDS?:razz:.......Nice job, I like the handle idea, may stop the underarm grease marks on my shirts

That's how I did mine, except I added an ash pan later.

uds2.jpg

basket.jpg

I ended up drilling large holes all the way around the side of the pan for better air flow.

I have one just like that with a pizza pan from Wally World wired to the bottom of it. Looks great!!

here is mine:mrgreen: I used an egg basket and some expanded steel , with some 3.5 bolts for the legs , holds 10+ lbs of charcoal

MySmoker006.jpg
MySmoker007.jpg

Back