The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

SmokinCoyote 06-28-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Dude (Post 673808)
okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....

Have you tried putting the grate in the drum to see if it will fit? The reason I ask is even though the grate is for a 22 1/2 in grill it isn't actually 22 1/2 inches. I just went out and measured. My drum is 22 1/4 inches like yours but the Weber grate only measures
21 1/2 inches so it should fit. Maybe I jipped on an inch on my grate and everyone else's is bigger. This is a replacement 22.5" grate from weber so maybe the ones that come with a kettle grill are actually 22.5" but this one fits fine.

TexaQ 06-28-2008 05:27 PM

A Weber grate should work; should be 21 1/2" in diameter. My Weber replacement grate is 21 1/12" and fits in my 22 1/2 outside diameter barrel.

Walking Dude 06-28-2008 05:34 PM

thankx guys...........will take my tape measure to Home dePOT tomorrow and check...........while i price the other parts

Richard_ 06-28-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Dude (Post 673877)
...........will take my tape measure to Home dePOT tomorrow

no need to do that , just pull one of theirs off the shelf and use it:mrgreen:

Bbq Bubba 06-28-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Dude (Post 673808)
okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....

Keep on reading........

StayDown 07-01-2008 09:24 AM

WOW!!! I did it! I made it all the way through this entire thread. I found my drums locally for $30 and have been cleaned, burned and ball bearing blasted. I will be building my first UDS as soon as I get back from Cali next week!!

I wish I would have made notes as I went seeing how I will have to wade back through to gather my ideas.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!!

Norcoredneck 07-01-2008 09:34 AM

Where you going/coming to in Cali?

StayDown 07-01-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 675917)
Where you going/coming to in Cali?

I will be in Orange County on the 3rd through the 7th.

CarolinaQ 07-02-2008 08:36 PM

Drum Smoker:

I got my drum smoker completed and did a second test run today. Temps have held between 200 and 235 for the last 12 hours. Couldn't ask for better temps.
I put in three 3/4 intake vents in the bottom using ball valves on two opposing holes.
Only using the 2 inch and 3/4 inch exhaust holes in the orginal drum top.
My charcoal ring is six inches high and thirteen inches in diameter and holds approximately twelve pounds of briqs and it probably will burn 15 to 16 hours total which is far more than needed.
All I'm waiting on is some much needed rain so I can do my burn out. We haven't had rain in months and we are under a NO BURN ban here in Western NC.

Thanks to all you guys for all the info that was posted on this topic.

ComputerMike 07-03-2008 09:43 AM

I can to cut the lid off my drum as it was a little too big to fit the kettle lid. I ground down the lip with an angle grinder, then a belt sander and finally a little hand sanding. Worked great.

The Bengal Thing 07-04-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 672652)
Weber lids don't fit most drums. There is a kingsford 22.5 grill that fits better. Groceries stores of sometimes Lowes or CVS has them .

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! I am new here and looking into building a UDS. As it turns out..... I won the Kingsford 22.5 grill in a contest and will be getting it in a few weeks. I already have a grill, but thought a new one would be cool. Now I find out it will likely fit my UDS (when I get around to building it), I think it's fate.

Hopefully a food grade steel drum will be in my yard when I get home from work one day next week! haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 675903)
WOW!!! I did it! I made it all the way through this entire thread. I found my drums locally for $30 and have been cleaned, burned and ball bearing blasted. I will be building my first UDS as soon as I get back from Cali next week!!

I wish I would have made notes as I went seeing how I will have to wade back through to gather my ideas.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!!

Hey buddy.....

Thanks for recommending this site! I can find some drums for $10 here in the BUS on craigslist. Where can I get it ball blasted or whatever it is you are talking about.

Don't worry about not taking notes throughout this thread, just make sure you take notes while you are building it and when you go back through this thread.....that way you can help me make mine better than yours! hahaha

StayDown 07-05-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bengal Thing (Post 678481)
HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! I am new here and looking into building a UDS. As it turns out..... I won the Kingsford 22.5 grill in a contest and will be getting it in a few weeks. I already have a grill, but thought a new one would be cool. Now I find out it will likely fit my UDS (when I get around to building it), I think it's fate.

Hopefully a food grade steel drum will be in my yard when I get home from work one day next week! haha

Hey buddy.....

Thanks for recommending this site! I can find some drums for $10 here in the BUS on craigslist. Where can I get it ball blasted or whatever it is you are talking about.

Don't worry about not taking notes throughout this thread, just make sure you take notes while you are building it and when you go back through this thread.....that way you can help me make mine better than yours! hahaha

no need to get it blasted. Just do a couple of burns and it should take care of all that!

I just got a call from a guy answering my ad on craigslist (drums needed). I am calling them when I get home because they use a ton of drums and usually scrap them. I am gonna take them off their hands for free and see if I can build a fleet of UDS

TysDad 07-05-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 678917)
....build a fleet of UDS

Would that be a 6 pack, a 12 pack or a case? 6 UDS painted as your favorite beverage would look very cool --- but how would you make the plastic holder?

The Bengal Thing 07-05-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 678917)
no need to get it blasted. Just do a couple of burns and it should take care of all that!

I just got a call from a guy answering my ad on craigslist (drums needed). I am calling them when I get home because they use a ton of drums and usually scrap them. I am gonna take them off their hands for free and see if I can build a fleet of UDS

Oh, well I wanted to do what you did and you talked about getting it blasted.

Bbq Bubba 07-05-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TysDad (Post 678946)
Would that be a 6 pack, a 12 pack or a case? 6 UDS painted as your favorite beverage would look very cool --- but how would you make the plastic holder?

:idea::idea::idea: