The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Barbarian 05-01-2009 12:13 AM

Weiser you should probably go to the Penalty Box in the Woodpile.
And you got the 3,000th post out of it, lol.

Chenernator 05-01-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digi (Post 914233)
24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket. so in ur case 27.5" from the bottom of the barrel. :biggrin:

If you're only going for one grate, the 24" is easy to do, but if you want two grates, then you may have to fudge it.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Norcoredneck http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943 measures 8" down from the top of the barrel for his lower grate. If the barrel is 33 1/2" tall (like mine), then the grate is 25 1/2" above the bottom of the barrel. If your charcoal basket is 2-3" above the bottom, then the grate is 22 1/2" - 23 1/2" above the basket. Also, the bottom of the barrel is not as low as the rim of the barrel, which is where many people measure from. Net result - it seems that there is some leeway in where you put the grate.

Digi 05-01-2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinghacker (Post 914527)
Hey Digi, Where did you find a new drum for $35?

there's a local place in the dallas area. i was actually quoted $45 on the phone, and then when i bit the bullet and decided to go get it, it was only $35... :biggrin:

Digi 05-01-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chenernator (Post 914747)
If you're only going for one grate, the 24" is easy to do, but if you want two grates, then you may have to fudge it.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Norcoredneck http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943 measures 8" down from the top of the barrel for his lower grate. If the barrel is 33 1/2" tall (like mine), then the grate is 25 1/2" above the bottom of the barrel. If your charcoal basket is 2-3" above the bottom, then the grate is 22 1/2" - 23 1/2" above the basket. Also, the bottom of the barrel is not as low as the rim of the barrel, which is where many people measure from. Net result - it seems that there is some leeway in where you put the grate.

yeah on mine i just measured 27" from the bottom for the 1st grate and then just put the 2nd grate at the very top. that left me about 5.5" between the grates...

Phubar 05-01-2009 04:03 PM

I succesfully scored the Weber!
The cooking grates are a lil' rusty but I'll get them clean.
The rest seems to be intact.
Plus....the kettle fits perfect!
So far spend:2 barrels and 1 Weber 57cm/22,5"= 45,00 euro's/58,00 dollars.....plus a little time and petrol.:-D

biggs98 05-01-2009 06:58 PM

Anyone with a flat lid drum have 2 racks inside? I know it will be a little tight if you move the top rack down 3 inches or so. But maybe if you moved both down 3inches or so it'll work.

Just wondering if anyone played around with any of these ideas.

Norcoredneck 05-01-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggs98 (Post 915173)
Anyone with a flat lid drum have 2 racks inside? I know it will be a little tight if you move the top rack down 3 inches or so. But maybe if you moved both down 3inches or so it'll work.

Just wondering if anyone played around with any of these ideas.

It works but after a few cooks you get a lot of drippings off lid and right on the meat.

biggs98 05-02-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 915245)
It works but after a few cooks you get a lot of drippings off lid and right on the meat.

Thanks Nord.....I think might cut another drum and make a lid out of that. I saw someone do it on here.....going to have to sift through again

vinny 05-02-2009 11:17 AM

Hey Jtank i'm in ct are those barrels near here?

jaronimo 05-02-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggs98 (Post 915173)
Anyone with a flat lid drum have 2 racks inside? I know it will be a little tight if you move the top rack down 3 inches or so. But maybe if you moved both down 3inches or so it'll work.

Just wondering if anyone played around with any of these ideas.


Mine has two racks, but its been heavily modified.
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/o...oatofpaint.jpg

biggs98 05-02-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaronimo (Post 915589)
Mine has two racks, but its been heavily modified.
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/o...oatofpaint.jpg

Nice looking drum.... Does it leak smoke on the bottom or does the band take care of that? I was thinking of doing the total opposite. Cutting the top off a sealed lid drum and using that as my top. I guess as long as it holds good temps and cooks good Que, you're good to go!!!

Weiser 05-02-2009 05:16 PM

Biggs, I really like the idea of keeping the splice at the bottom...
Smoke rises, right?

Weiser

udoughguy 05-02-2009 06:37 PM

After about 8 cooks I've noticed quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of my UDS. I put some Floor Dry in to absorb it. Anyone else having this? I do not recall reading any commenys about this. Thanks!

Smokin' D 05-02-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udoughguy (Post 915679)
After about 8 cooks I've noticed quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of my UDS. I put some Floor Dry in to absorb it. Anyone else having this? I do not recall reading any commenys about this. Thanks!

Yep, after each cook there is a small amount of moisture under the ash pan.
I think that this is probably some condensation just finding the lowest point in the drum.
Simply take a couple of wadded-up paper towels and give it a wipe.

wingnut 05-02-2009 07:36 PM

My Build...
 
8 Attachment(s)
Well, you all have really inspired me. I just joined bbq-brethren.com thanks to this thread. I'm only half way through reading this thread, but I just finished my first UDS. Here are some pics, including my umbrella mod due to some heavy rain today.

Thanks for all the shared input and helpful advice. Good stuff.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.