The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Our Fallen Brother (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   It's a sad day--We've Lost A Brother (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20210)

TexasGuppie 09-05-2006 10:20 AM

As sad as it is to lose one that we love, we have the choice (based on our faith) as seeing death as a "bad" thing or, as some choose to do, view it as a time when our brother will feel no more pain, be with those who passed on before him and best of all, to stand and look into the face of our Lord and rejoice in all of His glory.

From this day forward, Heaven has a new BBQ'er and we will have to wonder until our day comes, "Are those really clouds in the sky OR smoke from one of God's finest, newest Angels, smoking away for all of his new Brethren?"

Rest in peace Brother and save me a place at the table.

Prayers and condolences to the family.

Sylvie 09-05-2006 10:21 AM

It's at times like these that it is very hard to find the right words. I knew Scott only from his posts, but your words on this thread have helped me visualize a true friend and brother. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

Events like this re-affirm the need to live everyday to the fullest.

Qczar 09-05-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98

..........Like I posted in the Labor Day thread, it was pouring all morning, and pouring now. Someone up there gave me 5 hours to smoke on the kettle and reflect.

Thanks Scott................

Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.

Ron_L 09-05-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98
The Origins of "e"

Thanks for posting that, Bill. I had heard the story at the bash last fall, but a lot of the newer members weren't aware of the history.

There's so many great posts in this thread. Mista and JT, your memories of Scott in particular hit me hard since they characterized him and his love for our hobby so perfectly.

Thanks for sharing, guys!

Jeff_in_KC 09-05-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qczar
Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.

That is WEIRD! I made a comment to my wife on Sunday during our cook that I didn't seem to be using NEAR as much charcoal as I normally go through. AND when we got back from our neighbor's house where we had all gathered for dinner, some four hours after the last meat came off, the pit temp was STILL at 210. The Spicewine is good but it's never done that good before. I also got a lot better smoke ring on the brisket than I normally do...

Bill-Chicago 09-05-2006 10:45 AM

It was my pleasure Ron.

And QCzar, I left out one part of my cook.

While I was moping around the yard, reflecting on everything, talking and calling people, I started getting a bit depressed.

I was cooking, but then the thought came into my head that I probably wasn't going to eat it.

It was at that exact moment that "WHAP!", a farking yellow jacket tagged me in the neck.

Smacked it, ripped out the stinger, hurt like hell, and heard "e" laughing.

In his voice in my head: "Don't feel sorry for me brother, this will give you something else to think about. Now go eat"

It was the best damn ribs I ever cooked on the kettle. no lie.

SmokeInDaEye 09-05-2006 10:57 AM

My heart goes out to Scott's entire family and to each of you who were touched by his life. Unfortunately we never met face-to-face, but I am glad that I found the Brethren in time to call him my brother.

Late Friday/early Saturday, I was sitting outside under the canopy, watching the rain, watching the temps on my smoker, and doing some random searches through the site.

I don't know what I typed in, but I came across the same post The Kapn had mentioned a little bit ago (http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17085) and was thinking how proud Scott was of his grandkid and how nice it was to be able to share that with him, even if we were half a country away.

And fortunately those memories are here forever so that some other guy (or girl) has the chance to randomly type something into the search box and discover a posting from a proud grandpa sharing a picture of his greatest joy.

Smoker 09-05-2006 11:36 AM

Can someone get a small tribute forwarded to the KCBS and have it put in the BullSheet? Seems Scott deserved to be known to the rest of the BBQ world.

scottyd 09-05-2006 11:38 AM

Thoughts and prayers for his family Scott Will be missed

BBQchef33 09-05-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker
Can someone get a small tribute forwarded to the KCBS and have it put in the BullSheet? Seems Scott deserved to be known to the rest of the BBQ world.

i am allready working on this.. Was on the phone Carolynn Wells this morning and will be sending in a tribute to the Bullsheet.

offa1a 09-05-2006 12:12 PM

A brother lost to us is one added in Heaven. God Bless Brother

chad 09-05-2006 01:11 PM

Thanks to Tim (Kapn) for finally getting hold of me yesterday...we were out of town and with all our kids...and to Phil and Bill for trying to contact me too.

Scott and I met at the Bash quite a few of the pics Phil posted are from...good memories. Seems he and I had crossed swords a few months prior to the Bash - so when we met we growled, sniffed each other's butt, and had a shot of Cabo - all was right in the world...I'll miss him, a lot.

I'll be in on PayPal but can't make the trip...as many have said, I'll be there in spirit.

Pig Headed 09-05-2006 02:20 PM

Thanks for sharing some stories and memories. My thoughts and prayers for him and family.

Qczar 09-05-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
That is WEIRD! I made a comment to my wife on Sunday during our cook that I didn't seem to be using NEAR as much charcoal as I normally go through. AND when we got back from our neighbor's house where we had all gathered for dinner, some four hours after the last meat came off, the pit temp was STILL at 210. The Spicewine is good but it's never done that good before. I also got a lot better smoke ring on the brisket than I normally do...

Sounds like the same experiance.

Everytime I put my beer down to take a look at my themometers, they read perfectly. Almost like they were frozen? I only added fuel when the fire box looked very low. When I did reload, no rise even. Sat back down and wondered who`s smoker is this ?????

brdbbq 09-05-2006 03:05 PM

So what is the story behind the turtles ?