• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Thigh Practice (Mega Pron)

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since I moved to Texas, I only do one KCBS contest a year. Decided to practice chicken thighs today for Mobile in a few weeks.

It was a beautiful North Texas afternoon - about 70 degrees and a full fridge...
2009_02220008.jpg

Note - The Miller Lite is for my neighbor - I am a Bud Lite man....

FYI - have not posted pics for a while (since Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl) - this was a playoff game....
2009_02220002.jpg

Decided to try my brine I had finished last year on the half chickens I cook for IBCA and LSBS for the thighs - the first group brined for 2 hours the second for 5 - seeing if the thighs staying in longer were more salty. Also testing low and slow versus high temp texas chicken cooking. So - half of the two hour brined chicken went into the egg and the other half into an Aussie. Likewise, half the 5 hours went into the egg and the other half into the Aussie.
2009_02220004.jpg

2009_02220005.jpg

2009_02220007.jpg

2009_02220009.jpg

So the results.....

Egg - skin pulled up (was not comparing that, but should have trimmed less)....
2009_02220011.jpg

Grill - glazed too late to crisp the chicken (knife holes - checking for tenderness)....
2009_02220019.jpg

Results - I thought the grilled (hot temp) thighs were more juicy, and the 5 hour brined chicken were more juicy than 2 hour chickens, not more salty- therefore I declared them the winners......

Then I let the neighbors tell me what they thought. So 30 minutes later, juicieness was the same and the flavor from the low and slow was perceived to be better - Uuuuggghhhhh - I got no where, except I am out of Guinness....
2009_02220021.jpg

(Half of the thighs were glazed with my sauce, the other half with Texas Pepper Jelly)

Last edited:
Have you tried raised direct in the BGE? I have a Woo ring if you want to borrow and give it a try. It raises the grate to felt level. And with a grate extender, you can get them high in the dome to crisp the skin with the reflected heat from the dome.

Back