• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Secret Santa!

rockyathabaska

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Bros,
I have been hounded for a wish list for Secret Santa gifts for the awesome BBQ chef that I try to be.
Our family has put a $75.00 limit on gifts this year.
What’s the deal on slow and sear? Are they worth while?
Was also thinking vortex( best size?), or grill grates for searing. Any thought?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance, Rocky

I’ll list my stuff:
Smokey joe
Weber 18”
Weber performer
UDS

I have grill grates and really like them They give great grill marks and are nice for searing I believe they cook at about 150* hotter then the temp of the grill Help prevent flare ups You can flip them and cook burgers as if on a flat top I think

Cheapest I have seen the SNS is $100.
Love the Vortex, but size depends on what you are using it for. the medium is what is recommended for the 22. Here is a size chart.
https://vortexbbq.com/which-size/
I have grill grates for my Pellet cooker, but not really necessary for a kettle, especially if using either of the above items. They will pretty much last you a lifetime though, so probably still a good deal.

I have a homemade vortex and it's become my go to method for chicken pieces and anything else of a similar shape that cooks at high temps. The Slow and Sear is a one trick pony sort of thing. If all you cook is steak or something similar, and you don't mind the high cost, it does the job. But so does two fire bricks, and the bricks store easier. I've been cooking on kettles for decades, mostly indirect cooks, and the SnS would get in my way for most cooks.
This video might be of interest to you.

Do You Really Need the Slow 'N Sear by Adrenaline Barbecue Company for your Weber Kettle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzaDmtzE0U

I have a homemade vortex and it's become my go to method for chicken pieces and anything else of a similar shape that cooks at high temps. The Slow and Sear is a one trick pony sort of thing. If all you cook is steak or something similar, and you don't mind the high cost, it does the job. But so does two fire bricks, and the bricks store easier. I've been cooking on kettles for decades, mostly indirect cooks, and the SnS would get in my way for most cooks.
This video might be of interest to you.

Do You Really Need the Slow 'N Sear by Adrenaline Barbecue Company for your Weber Kettle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzaDmtzE0U

Why do you consider the SNS a one trick pony?

Secret Santa

Yeah, I made a poortex awhile ago and it works a treat; the real deal might be nice.
I,m thinking grill grates might be the best addition to my kit.
I’m a big reverse sear guy; so the grates might up my game.
Wonder if I got the Smokey joe size if they would work on all my Q’s or should I commit to one go to sear Weber?

Getting to feel a bit like Christmas!

Thx Rocky

Why do you consider the SNS a one trick pony?
This diagram shows the ways coals can be placed in a kettle,
picture.php

The SnS doesn't really fit any of them. For the length of most cooks, these arrangements can be accomplished with no additional equipment. For the longer cooks, a couple of bricks or a wood split for smoke work fine. The Vortex compresses the coals into a smaller area than just piling them on their own, allowing more food to fit.
I'm sure the SnS fans will chime in.:mrgreen:

This diagram shows the ways coals can be placed in a kettle,
picture.php

The SnS doesn't really fit any of them. For the length of most cooks, these arrangements can be accomplished with no additional equipment. For the longer cooks, a couple of bricks or a wood split for smoke work fine. The Vortex compresses the coals into a smaller area than just piling them on their own, allowing more food to fit.
I'm sure the SnS fans will chime in.:mrgreen:

I am aware of how to arrange coals, but all of those arrangements are some variation of a direct/indirect combination, and that is what the SNS provides. The difference is in how you light your charcoal, and how you block the charcoal grate. Not a fanboy, since I don't own one, and not convinced, that it is worth it, but I do think it could be used on 90% of cooks, if you wanted to.

I am aware of how to arrange coals, but all of those arrangements are some variation of a direct/indirect combination, and that is what the SNS provides. The difference is in how you light your charcoal, and how you block the charcoal grate. Not a fanboy, since I don't own one, and not convinced, that it is worth it, but I do think it could be used on 90% of cooks, if you wanted to.
True, but I don't like giving up all that space on the food grate for meat on cooks lasting less than a couple of hours. Even for longer cooks, I can arrange the coals to fit the shape of the meat better without the SnS.

Back