The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

cjs27410 01-10-2014 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. I used screen spline to cover the sharp edge.

Wahoo95 01-10-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjs27410 (Post 2760300)
Here's mine. I used screen spline to cover the sharp edge.

Perfect...thanks!

ITBFQ 01-10-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahoo95 (Post 2760230)
What are you guys using to secure your side mounted thermometers.....to keep them snug and steady in the drum? I have a cork on mine but it loosens and allows the thermometer to move

Also looking for ideas on how to route my temp cords into the smoker without going through the exhaust ports or under the lid? I was thinking about cutting a couple of small notches in the rim of the drum so that the cords can recess down in there while still allowing the lid to seal.

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...57490935lg.jpg

This is what I used for mine.

Wahoo95 01-10-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITBFQ (Post 2760576)

I have one of those but can't get the clip of my temp probe to fit thru it. I guess it would work great for the thermometer I have mounted into the drum.

Jah62370 01-11-2014 06:34 AM

I just went simple and drilled two 1/4" holes near the top of my drum and used a rubber grommet in each to protect the probe cords. I don't believe 2 holes that size will make that big of an impact on the air flow. Just my opinion.:thumb:

jdwest 01-12-2014 06:34 PM

All i did on mine was drilled a 3/8 hole in the side and used a rubber grommet so it would get torn up.

N2entropy 01-13-2014 04:21 PM

must be single

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahoo95 (Post 2760163)
My UDS is almost complete. All that's left is I need to spray the drum with some navy blue paint, however the weather hasn't been cooperating the last few weeks as its been too rainy or cold for painting. I decided to go ahead and hit it with some high heat primer to and go ahead and take it for a test burn. I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this thing! Initially my temps shot up to almost 400 degrees while I was getting things sorted out and I had a hard time getting them to simmer down, however eventually it came down and settled in at 250deg after about an hour. Amazingly it held between 240-260 degrees for the next 13 hours! I only shut it down because I woke up to rainfall but it still had plenty of coal left to burn.

Thanks to all who've contributed so much info to this thread as I'm looking forward to many good cooks out of this new UDS!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps255bc984.jpg

My wife would kill me if I kept my drum in the bed room! looks good though.

Wahoo95 01-13-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2entropy (Post 2764283)
My wife would kill me if I kept my drum in the bed room! looks good though.

Its just an extra bedroom/guestroom so no issues....plus that was before it go at smokey :)

On another note, got it running today with the flat lid and realized I had some flow issues. After a detailed look over I realized the lid was slightly bent and that one of the intakes was loose...loose enough to cause airflow issues. Gonna add some conduit washers to tighten them down.

Peddler 01-28-2014 07:26 AM

Has this thread reached it's limit?

RT 01-28-2014 10:21 AM

Hope not......

dadsr4 01-28-2014 11:35 AM

Build a UDS.

jeeptime1 01-29-2014 09:26 PM

Wow! I finally are it through this epic thread. I may have skimmed a few thousand posts:icon_smile_tongue: I am looking forward to my own UDS. I will start out with the KISS method. I really like a lot of these mods though.

Peddler 01-30-2014 03:51 PM

Mine started as the kiss method also and has progressed from simple to 3 shelves, a dome lid, a shelf, 3 thermometers, extended air pipes (old fart mod) and two Maverick digitals and 4 wheels.

BC2_BBQ 01-31-2014 07:46 AM

I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at [email protected]. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.

Drunk Monkey 01-31-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITBFQ (Post 2760576)

What is that and where can I find one?

Also (sorry I am being lazy) what do you guys use to secure the vertical intakes to the drum for added stability. Thanks