The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

pman777 07-24-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otis (Post 1721948)
Having said that, aren't we overdoing it a bit with our concerns about bits and pieces of a liner that has withstood a high-temp burnout? From a logic standpoint, if that sucker hasn't let go by now, how can the temps we smoke at create problems? In addition, once the drum is seasoned, the baked-on grease creates an additional layer of safety, does it not?

It seems that every forum does a great Paul Revere imitation--"The red lining will kill you! The red lining will kill you!!". And from what I can find out about this phenol-based liner, it does release some really nasty stuff when burned. But is it still an issue once it has been thoroughly burned?

I don't believe he's overdoing it one bit. The way you're stating "thoroughly burned" is objective. Just because the epoxy didn't crumble away at 1200 degrees doesn't mean it won't continue to outgas at 300. Outgassing will create bubbles underneath the greased walls and eventually be released.

I can't speak for the toxicity of the epoxy liner but I wouldn't want any remaining layer in a cooker I'd be using for a number of years.

sandiegobbq 07-24-2011 11:50 AM

One day we will get to the bottom of this.

My drum has been a royal pain so far in dealing with this liner.

Carbon 07-24-2011 12:53 PM

Fuel consumption question

I ran a couple of temp test runs during the week using Kingsford blue and Stubb's natural briquettes. Having never used Stubb's before til now (bought a dozen bags during their 2 for 1 sale back in April) I was surprised that it did not burn as hot and did not last as long as the Kingsford in my new UDS.

My charcoal basket size is roughly 13" diameter by 10" tall, mounted 3" above the ash pan. I used the Minion method. I ran these empty (no food).

2 chimney full of Kingsford ran steady at 250F for 12 hours where the same amount of Stubb's the next day only lasted 6 hours tops and required additional vent openings to hold 250F.
Is this difference typical between these two different types of briquettes?

Thanks!

johnnyb1216 07-24-2011 06:08 PM

got mine done

4 Attachment(s)
here it is and first cook. didnt post pics of build cuz i seen it a ton of times in this thread and i did nothing different, but i will say cook grate, lid, and charcoal grate i used from a weber i scored fore $8 at a garage sale.did my first cook today and think i ran hot -butt was done in 8hrs and ribs in 3 the thermometers never went over 215' even with 1 cap off and valve all the way open, no wind and outside temp around mid 80s. wondering if the thermo probes ( not being in middle of cooker ) only go in about an 1 1/2 inches. maybe alot hotter in the middle of cooker? if so will a heat shield over charcoal basket disperse heat more evenly? food was good, not great ribs still juicey, a little overdone= mushy. pulled pork was good ,have to experiment with other rubs for my taste. thanks to all of u for the guidence and education which i have realized is only as good as the experience that i have. already thinkin about next weekends cook and what to cook. thanks again newbie, john

purplewg 07-25-2011 08:30 AM

Anyone having problems with the vertical air intake's? I read somewhere some folks had to cut theirs down or make them horizontal to get them to burn long at the right temps. Just curious what folks are seeing.

LoneStarMojo 07-25-2011 11:32 PM

Well I'm doing the traditional read of the entire UDS thread before I build my own and well.....little did I expect to find the S&M/UDS.....She dirdy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint (Post 1575623)

pman777 07-26-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb1216 (Post 1722696)
here it is and first cook. didnt post pics of build cuz i seen it a ton of times in this thread and i did nothing different, but i will say cook grate, lid, and charcoal grate i used from a weber i scored fore $8 at a garage sale.did my first cook today and think i ran hot -butt was done in 8hrs and ribs in 3 the thermometers never went over 215' even with 1 cap off and valve all the way open, no wind and outside temp around mid 80s. wondering if the thermo probes ( not being in middle of cooker ) only go in about an 1 1/2 inches. maybe alot hotter in the middle of cooker? if so will a heat shield over charcoal basket disperse heat more evenly? food was good, not great ribs still juicey, a little overdone= mushy. pulled pork was good ,have to experiment with other rubs for my taste. thanks to all of u for the guidence and education which i have realized is only as good as the experience that i have. already thinkin about next weekends cook and what to cook. thanks again newbie, john

It appears you have the same short thermometer I have. Is that the glow in the dark, $7 thermometer from Amazon? I also have a Walmart thermometer with a 12" stem. The good news is the short thermometer I have is accurate. The bad news is the reading on the wall is not worth much.

In my short time (seasoning run and then 2 cookings) I have learned there is a major difference between the center of the UDS reading and a reading near the wall. This discrepancy increases as the temperature increases. When my center reading is about 250, my wall reading is about 190. When my center reading is about 325, my wall reading is about 210. This discrepancy is a bit exaggerated with our wall thermometer because our's, I believe, is shorter than most other wall thermometers. Our's extends about 2" past the wall while many extend 4 to 5 inches in. My Walmart thermometer is 12" long.

Because of this I decided to try a heat dispersment plate. Right now I have a 10" aluminum pie pan just above my charcoal basket which is about 9" below my cooking grate. It reduces the discrepancy but only a small amount. Now when my center runs 250, my wall runs about 200 to 205. I need to increase the diameter of my 10" pie pan or raise it or some combination of both.

1FUNVET 07-26-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo (Post 1724401)
Well I'm doing the traditional read of the entire UDS thread before I build my own and well.....little did I expect to find the S&M/UDS.....She dirdy.

If you have problems with temp controls it could be your pipes.They may be too tall to get a good draft.

DieselDawg 07-26-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1724723)
If you have problems with temp controls it could be your pipes.They may be too tall to get a good draft.

I too had been wondering about the vertical pipes, and whether they'd be able to suck enough air into the bottom of the barrel. I decided to split the difference and use 12" up pipes. We'll see how that goes as far as maintaining temps. That's easy enough to change out if I need to just go back to horizontally mounted valves. I also plan to use a few thermometers in my UDS. I'm a "gauge guy" so I plan to have a long stem thermometer in the side, as well as a short one next to it so I can see the temperature difference between the edge and the center. I might put one in the lid, just for the fun of it. But I think it would also be useful to get a cheap-o oven thermometer and set it right on the grate next to the food. That way, when you open the lid to turn the food, you'll be able to see what the temp is right on the grate. If I keep this up, my poor UDS is going to look like the cockpit of a fighter jet! :doh:

FatDaddysBBQ 07-26-2011 12:35 PM

I have read up to about 125 in the past week and am very impressed with the level of information that is in this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a drum in my area (Baltimore, MD) I am ready to get started. If I didnt have to burn out that would be great too since I'm in ..... Baltimore.

Carbon 07-26-2011 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselDawg (Post 1725016)
I'm a "gauge guy" so I plan to have a long stem thermometer in the side, as well as a short one next to it so I can see the temperature difference between the edge and the center.

I love gauges too. I wished Stewart-Warner or VDO made smoker gauges. That would be cool....lol...

Noting the temp differences while I was seasoning my drum over the weekend I decided to install a brass nipple next to my short stemmed gauge so I can slide a 12" stemmed fryer thermo through. I picked up the brass nipple and cap (which I drilled thru) at Home Depot last night.

fat_bastard 07-26-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 1725090)
I love gauges too. I wished Stewart-Warner or VDO made smoker gauges. That would be cool....lol...

Noting the temp differences while I was seasoning my drum over the weekend I decided to install a brass nipple next to my short stemmed gauge so I can slide a 12" stemmed fryer thermo through. I picked up the brass nipple and cap (which I drilled thru) at Home Depot last night.

I did the same thing except I ignored the cap. I drilled the hole in my drum small enough that the nipple screws into it tightly and the thermometer seals it up enough.

schellter 07-26-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddysBBQ (Post 1725037)
I have read up to about 125 in the past week and am very impressed with the level of information that is in this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a drum in my area (Baltimore, MD) I am ready to get started. If I didnt have to burn out that would be great too since I'm in ..... Baltimore.

Someone else asked this question here:
http://www.mdshooters.com/archive/in...p/t-51665.html

Good luck

johnnyb1216 07-26-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pman777 (Post 1724711)
It appears you have the same short thermometer I have. Is that the glow in the dark, $7 thermometer from Amazon? I also have a Walmart thermometer with a 12" stem. The good news is the short thermometer I have is accurate. The bad news is the reading on the wall is not worth much.

In my short time (seasoning run and then 2 cookings) I have learned there is a major difference between the center of the UDS reading and a reading near the wall. This discrepancy increases as the temperature increases. When my center reading is about 250, my wall reading is about 190. When my center reading is about 325, my wall reading is about 210. This discrepancy is a bit exaggerated with our wall thermometer because our's, I believe, is shorter than most other wall thermometers. Our's extends about 2" past the wall while many extend 4 to 5 inches in. My Walmart thermometer is 12" long.

Because of this I decided to try a heat dispersment plate. Right now I have a 10" aluminum pie pan just above my charcoal basket which is about 9" below my cooking grate. It reduces the discrepancy but only a small amount. Now when my center runs 250, my wall runs about 200 to 205. I need to increase the diameter of my 10" pie pan or raise it or some combination of both.

i was thinkin about the plate above charcoal basket too. if you used a 10" maybe ill run down to the old local pizza joint and ask if i can have an old 12" pizza pan and maybe a 16" too (im very much into tryin to scavange as many parts as possible so i can tell people i got less than $50 in it and produce great bbq) and try them mounted above my basket my next question is gonna be should i drill holes or not how big of holes and how many? or i'll just experament with them until i get a good balance. another thing is ill start mounting closest to the basket cuz i know aluminum doesnt hold heat so its more for the heat to go around ( and through if i drill holes). and yup i got the same $7 thermos on amazon .now i need to find the 12" thermo you got at walmart. was it lables a fryer thermometer candy thermometer or what? and how much? also after reading some more posts im gonna take my verticle pipe off and just run a valve off the nipple just to nip any drafting problems right in the bud. thanks for helpin me with my questions and being about the same experience with these uds' we can help each other with this

NapalmRunner 07-27-2011 12:34 PM

This thread is EPIC!! I've made it to page 435 and I have gotten alost everything i need for a build. Pics to come soon!

colonel00 07-27-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb1216 (Post 1725561)
i was thinkin about the plate above charcoal basket too. if you used a 10" maybe ill run down to the old local pizza joint and ask if i can have an old 12" pizza pan and maybe a 16" too (im very much into tryin to scavange as many parts as possible so i can tell people i got less than $50 in it and produce great bbq) and try them mounted above my basket my next question is gonna be should i drill holes or not how big of holes and how many? or i'll just experament with them until i get a good balance. another thing is ill start mounting closest to the basket cuz i know aluminum doesnt hold heat so its more for the heat to go around ( and through if i drill holes). and yup i got the same $7 thermos on amazon .now i need to find the 12" thermo you got at walmart. was it lables a fryer thermometer candy thermometer or what? and how much? also after reading some more posts im gonna take my verticle pipe off and just run a valve off the nipple just to nip any drafting problems right in the bud. thanks for helpin me with my questions and being about the same experience with these uds' we can help each other with this

Walmart carries a 16" pizza pan for $3. Also, check out thrift stores like Salvation Army and Goodwill if you have them in your area. They are great for finding stuff like this. Below is what I grabbed on day for only a couple bucks. The black one worked really good.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...0/IMAG0088.jpg

Rick T 07-27-2011 01:09 PM

For a little more control I drilled a 3/8" hole at the end and bottom of the nipples, so some air can get in if I wish with the caps on.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/Ruffly/UDS.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...UDS/UDS001.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...S/defusers.jpg

Carbon 07-27-2011 02:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed a brass nipple just underneath the top grate for my 12" stemmed fryer thermometer.

pAT_13 07-27-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddysBBQ (Post 1725037)

Abbey Drum Company
1440 Chesapeake Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21226
PHONE: (410) 355-3111

Dave S 07-27-2011 06:48 PM

Abbey Drum Company is where I bought mine a few weeks ago. Great place to get a new or re-conditioned drum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pAT_13 (Post 1726849)
Abbey Drum Company
1440 Chesapeake Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21226
PHONE: (410) 355-3111

pman777 07-27-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb1216 (Post 1725561)

Here is my drum.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...7/IMG_1953.jpg

The thermometer on the left is the Walmart 12" thermometer. Walmart does not have it on their website. It is in several of the Walmarts in my Fayetteville, AR area. It sells for 4.99 and it's quite accurate. It was in the bbq grill accessories dept. The square looking framed part at the top of my thermometer is not a part of the thermomter. The part that looks like a square frame to the top of my thermometer is the outer brace for my ubolt system holding up my grate. The thermometer looks like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayou-Clas...meter/11902779

only my thermometer doesn't have the red on the face. Check your local Walmart. I'm pretty sure it was only labeled Mainstays Thermometer. Mainstays is a Walmart brand name.

I'd definitely be interested in your feedback with larger plates. I'm going to wait until I get a change in the heat balance before I start drilling holes. I like to change only one variable at a time.

colonel00 07-27-2011 08:54 PM

Looks good pman. If you put [IMG] and [/IMG] around the photo links they will show up in the thread without having to click on them.

mike5150 07-27-2011 09:42 PM

My New Drum Liner & Lid Question

Picked up this Drum off Craigs List $10.00 seem like a great buy. It had some oil for making hand lotion. The liner seems to just be paint to me i am guessing a good burn would do the trick to remove? I also panicked when I took the ring off and tried to put the lid back on the lid did not fit good at all....So i pulled the seal out of the lid and pushed it back on and BINGO it fit like a glove is this how they all do? Should I be worried ?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f...s512/Drum1.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X...s512/Drum3.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j...s512/Drum2.JPG

Norcoredneck 07-27-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike5150 (Post 1727173)
Picked up this Drum off Craigs List $10.00 seem like a great buy. It had some oil for making hand lotion. The liner seems to just be paint to me i am guessing a good burn would do the trick to remove? I also panicked when I took the ring off and tried to put the lid back on the lid did not fit good at all....So i pulled the seal out of the lid and pushed it back on and BINGO it fit like a glove is this how they all do? Should I be worried ?

Long as you get it to seal. Drums get out of round easily. Be careful not to warp lid in burning process.

Norcoredneck 07-27-2011 10:00 PM

For those who skipped the meat of this novel, do yourself a favor. Do a search for "Thirdeye Hoe Scoop". Aids in cleanup

pman777 07-28-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 1727092)
Looks good pman. If you put [IMG] and [/IMG] around the photo links they will show up in the thread without having to click on them.

I suspect you'll change your mind once I get the gold paint on it, paint the top dome into a football helmet, put the number 10 front and back along with some Mizzou emblems. :-P

Thanks for the compliment and tip but I imagine I just got lazy and forgot to click the insert image button.

fat_bastard 07-28-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 1727198)
For those who skipped the meat of this novel, do yourself a favor. Do a search for "Thirdeye Hoe Scoop". Aids in cleanup

I prefer the shop-vac mod :-D

colonel00 07-28-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pman777 (Post 1727671)
I suspect you'll change your mind once I get the gold paint on it, paint the top dome into a football helmet, put the number 10 front and back along with some Mizzou emblems. :-P

Thanks for the compliment and tip but I imagine I just got lazy and forgot to click the insert image button.

A Mutiger in Fayetteville? You are a brave soul. Why don't you paint the top to look like a basketball instead...er, nevermind :heh:

byounghusband 07-28-2011 11:09 AM

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I did the same and mine seals up SO well that it did a 24 hour burn at 225* and only about 8 lbs of charcoal were used..... I say Smoke Away!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike5150 (Post 1727173)

johnnyb1216 07-28-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pman777 (Post 1727069)
Here is my drum.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...7/IMG_1953.jpg

The thermometer on the left is the Walmart 12" thermometer. Walmart does not have it on their website. It is in several of the Walmarts in my Fayetteville, AR area. It sells for 4.99 and it's quite accurate. It was in the bbq grill accessories dept. The square looking framed part at the top of my thermometer is not a part of the thermomter. The part that looks like a square frame to the top of my thermometer is the outer brace for my ubolt system holding up my grate. The thermometer looks like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayou-Clas...meter/11902779

only my thermometer doesn't have the red on the face. Check your local Walmart. I'm pretty sure it was only labeled Mainstays Thermometer. Mainstays is a Walmart brand name.

I'd definitely be interested in your feedback with larger plates. I'm going to wait until I get a change in the heat balance before I start drilling holes. I like to change only one variable at a time.

looks good p man, wifey found the wallyworld thermometer, gonna pick up nipple, cap and12" pizza pan tomorrow punch some holes in it and test it out sunday with some chickens and a couple fattys. now that i have the long thermo i feel alot more confident on my heat control. il post picks when i finish the heat shield and let u know the the sunday results

hendunesia 07-28-2011 06:55 PM

Messing around with my first build, I know its not going to be pretty. I have to fix the edge, messed it up when cutting the lip off..... Anyway.

So I decided to play with my new Propane Torch and melt away some of the black paint off this Old drum I took home from work. And underneath the paint read the following:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5027517_n.jpg

I had plans to paint it Cubs blue and throw some Cubs logo's on it, now I just feel like leaving it ugly if the "Hot Charcoal Only" survives the burn this weekend.

I cant say this for sure, but this drum may be from the 1940's. My company leases an Old Factory building on a military base, the building we are in used to manufacture Tanks and other War Machinery during WWII. Its been used for some other manufacturing since, but thought this was neat enough to share.

rondini 07-28-2011 07:38 PM

hendunesia I think you have the 1 in a trillionth! :-P

johnnyb1216 07-28-2011 07:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendunesia (Post 1728521)
Messing around with my first build, I know its not going to be pretty. I have to fix the edge, messed it up when cutting the lip off..... Anyway.

So I decided to play with my new Propane Torch and melt away some of the black paint off this Old drum I took home from work. And underneath the paint read the following:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5027517_n.jpg

I had plans to paint it Cubs blue and throw some Cubs logo's on it, now I just feel like leaving it ugly if the "Hot Charcoal Only" survives the burn this weekend.

I cant say this for sure, but this drum may be from the 1940's. My company leases an Old Factory building on a military base, the building we are in used to manufacture Tanks and other War Machinery during WWII. Its been used for some other manufacturing since, but thought this was neat enough to share.

this is how i cut my lid,hammer and chisel then the angle grinder this way no sharp edges to worry about

soapy_junk 07-29-2011 08:15 AM

first post

this is my first post.. i have been reading through this monstrosity of a post now for the past week.. getting ready to start my build next week.. i have secured a unlied referbed open top barrel and am looking forward to some nice smokey meat.. On a side note.. i am new to smoking too.. but something i have wanted to get into..

few questions..

with regards to the intake vents... it seems the accepted practice here is the 3" holes with the pipe nipples.. 2 capped and 1 ball valve.. with that said.. is there a performance differnece between having the ball valve intake short and stubby right off the barrel vs having it elevated along the side of the barrel? or is it just a cosmetic / not bending over preference?

for the stack.. i was planning on utilizing the 2" bung hold in the lid and threading in a section of pipe and adding an adjustable damper to it.. is that enough of a vent.. i see some barrels have about 8 holes drilled in the top

besides cost.. is there any reason to use Black pipe nipples / caps vs copper?

with Seasoning... is it just spraying PAM on the inside and running it through a burn cycle?.. low and slow or hot?

and my last question.. (for now)... water tray.. i see some people use them.. some don't.. I know there are arguments for direct heat source vs indirect.. i am new to smoking.. is there a preference?

thanks for all your help.. i will post pictures when i start

Carbon 07-29-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapy_junk (Post 1729015)
few questions..

with regards to the intake vents... it seems the accepted practice here is the 3" holes with the pipe nipples.. 2 capped and 1 ball valve..

I hope you meant 3/4" vents. Instead of having three separate vent openings a single 1.5" ball valve should also do the trick. The 1.5" ID vent gives you more intake volume, somewhere close to having four separate smaller vents. I think this approach gives you more latitude from a single vent.

soapy_junk 07-29-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 1729298)
I hope you meant 3/4" vents. Instead of having three separate vent openings a single 1.5" ball valve should also do the trick. The 1.5" ID vent gives you more intake volume, somewhere close to having four separate smaller vents. I think this approach gives you more latitude from a single vent.

yeah i did mean 3... 3/4" vents..

now with using the 1 larger vent.. does that have any impact on the fire since all the air is coming in from one side as apposed to spread out aroudn the bottom?

Carbon 07-29-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapy_junk (Post 1729339)

now with using the 1 larger vent.. does that have any impact on the fire since all the air is coming in from one side as apposed to spread out aroudn the bottom?

Absolutely no difference IMO.

Even with the smaller vents once the temperature settles you'll be controlling intake from one single valve only. I don't think it matters which direction the air is coming from, it'll find its way to the rightful coals.

But cost wise, the bigger ball valve and its fittings will be a lot more expensive so that's something to consider also. And also the bit to open up a hole that big.....but there are other ways to get around that.

Crazy Harry 07-29-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapy_junk (Post 1729015)
this is my first post.. i have been reading through this monstrosity of a post now for the past week.. getting ready to start my build next week.. i have secured a unlied referbed open top barrel and am looking forward to some nice smokey meat.. On a side note.. i am new to smoking too.. but something i have wanted to get into..

few questions..

for the stack.. i was planning on utilizing the 2" bung hold in the lid and threading in a section of pipe and adding an adjustable damper to it.. is that enough of a vent.. i see some barrels have about 8 holes drilled in the top

I'm using a length of pipe screwed into the bung hole for the vent. do not put a damper on the exhaust, control the temperature with the intake valves. shutting off the intakes and leaving the exhaust open will still snuff out the coals.

soapy_junk 07-29-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Harry (Post 1729669)
I'm using a length of pipe screwed into the bung hole for the vent. do not put a damper on the exhaust, control the temperature with the intake valves. shutting off the intakes and leaving the exhaust open will still snuff out the coals.

what about the ability to close it when its not in use.. to keep water out?

johnnyb1216 07-29-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapy_junk (Post 1729687)
what about the ability to close it when its not in use.. to keep water out?

cut the top off your last beer can you drank while smokin and put it over the stack

Arat 07-29-2011 06:32 PM

Gettin' ready to do my intakes. Anybody ever used these step bits from Harbor Freight? If so... how'd they do?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html

fball1208 07-30-2011 02:09 AM

Ive used them, Worked to drill out my holes dont know if they have much life left but havent used them since

Skidder 07-30-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb1216 (Post 1729760)
cut the top off your last beer can you drank while smokin and put it over the stack

You can also use the top to a spray paint can

gaspipe1 07-30-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 1727198)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...18&postcount=3

MushCreek 07-30-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arat (Post 1730111)
Gettin' ready to do my intakes. Anybody ever used these step bits from Harbor Freight? If so... how'd they do?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html

I've done three stainless drums and one steel one- they're still working. SLOW RPM and a little oil helps a lot.

Arat 07-31-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MushCreek (Post 1730852)
I've done three stainless drums and one steel one- they're still working. SLOW RPM and a little oil helps a lot.

Thanks. They're ordered. Should be getting the UDS completed next week. Can't wait :-P

Arat 07-31-2011 11:18 AM

Upside down?

Been looking and I've noticed that a lot of folks use an open top drum upside down with a kettle lid on top. Looks like it would be good for easy access to the bottom for cleaning occasionally. My only concern is does grease leak out the bottom?

Carbon 07-31-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arat (Post 1731941)
Been looking and I've noticed that a lot of folks use an open top drum upside down with a kettle lid on top. Looks like it would be good for easy access to the bottom for cleaning occasionally. My only concern is does grease leak out the bottom?

I've asked this before when I was looking for a drum.
It's not for easy access, it's just that the lid fits the other end and not on the open end with the lock band.

Stlbbqstore 07-31-2011 07:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike W (Post 1421631)
Some folks have been asken me to show how I built my racks so here are some more picts.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1351/stp62685.jpg

You can get away with bolts on just one rack but I like the ability to swap out the racks mid cook top for bottom etc. I do some small catering gigs where I cook 3 shoulders per rack. The bottom rack would get done about 3 hrs sooner so now I swap halfway when I foil. The racks can be lifted out with ease. The bolts let the racks act as a stand/table with meat on the racks. I can quickly pull the racks and meat out and close the lid back up. I'll foil than swap rack positions. Having two levels of support bolts (bolted through the drum) doesn't allow for this since your bottom rack will get hung up on the top bolts. I also put my thermometer below the bottom rack. It again is just for looks. It runs about 40 degrees cooler at that level than the center of the top rack.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9826/stp62687.jpg

Here I have a third rack that sits on the top rack. This will allow me to cook two to three racks of spares (St Louis) Rib tips go on the bottom rack. We cook 4 racks for competitions and this method allows me to cook em flat without a rib rack. I also foil ribs so again they can lay flat two racks per rack. This also works for chicken pieces.
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6434/stp62688.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1565/stp62690.jpg

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/2305/stp62692.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8334/stp62694.jpg

Here I have my third rack (rib rack)
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4186/stp62696.jpg

I used pure non plated steel bolts. Hardware total for two racks $5. Stanless steel will set you back $40. These bolts are coated with oil when you buy em to prevent rust. I got mine at Gnahl Lumber (So Cal). My rack bolts that go through the drum are stainless and all other hardware is stainless.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5757/stp62700.jpg

I figured someone would ask about my basket set up so here are some picts. I also picked up a 2x20 aluminum cake pan at a local bake shop. You can also find em online. I’ve seen people use galvanized oil pans but that has led, and I’m kind of against my kids growing a tail. :-D I used two kettle coal grates at 90 degrees. This is to hold lump better. If ya use briquettes I don’t think it’s necessary. I also have a container of used deep fry oil and a paint brush. I paint all metal after each cook with a coat of oil to keep the rust off.

http://cooksdream.com/store/llprd202.html

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9274/stp62698.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2448/stp62697.jpg

This has deffinatly become an addiction. What I love most is scoring higher than folks on $8000 cookers. These little things turn out (in my opinion) the best bbq. Thanks for viewing and sharing your's too. Most of all have fun!

Thanks Mike W

Here is my version of your leg design.
Thanks for the great idea. :clap2:

This is all welded stainless steel done by my B-I-L

Two racks with 6" legs and one rack with 4-1/2" legs

soapy_junk 08-01-2011 12:05 PM

drum

so i found a local hardware store / mom and pop shop.. they have used drums.. open and closed top.. and no liners..

i would be getting one of the open top ones.. but coming from a store w/ no liner would they still need to be burned out?..

what would would be needed to be done for seasoning it..

thanks