The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

knitmar 03-30-2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglefootballdad (Post 2862801)
Got on it and got it done. It's my first one, so I'm not very worried about fancy paint...yet. Giving it a test fire to tonight! Excited! Mostly because I have two slabs of babies and a few pounds of thighs to put in that puppy tomorrow!

Good looking build as it stands now.:clap2:

Menigar 03-30-2014 04:42 AM

Greetings from Sweden!
Recently built my first UDS and it is a great cook! Thanks for all the information available on this forum, just fantastic. I went for a dome configuration with adjustable shelfs. Had a lot of problems sorting the parts, expanded metal and the drum in particular.
But now it's done and I love it like a pet.
On the to do list is a respray with heat resistant paint since the original paint on the bottom is flaking off, some shelfs on the outside, wheels and a temp controller PID-style.
For the moment though I'm very happy with it as is.
pic:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-v...330_113048.jpg

eaglefootballdad 03-30-2014 06:12 AM

Thanks! I built houses for a long time and am comfortable working with wood, but not so much with metal. I was worried about my welding skills to pull off a decent looking coals basket, but I limped through it. Now that I now what the heck I'm doing, I'm already planning my next one. I'm thinking a Packers or fire truck theme.

eaglefootballdad 03-30-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglefootballdad (Post 2863330)
Thanks! I built houses for a long time and am comfortable working with wood, but not so much with metal. I was worried about my welding skills to pull off a decent looking coals basket, but I limped through it. Now that I now what the heck I'm doing, I'm already planning my next one. I'm thinking a Packers or fire truck theme.

Just realized I said I was comfortable working with wood.

Rookie move.

Stingerhook 03-30-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglefootballdad (Post 2863396)
Just realized I said I was comfortable working with wood.

Rookie move.

Don't worry, nobody will pick up on it.

Right!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nagel jason 04-01-2014 11:39 PM

Got my uds built. I took it out for a seasoning/trial run and my temps were all over the place. I couldn't not get it down to 225. It would go up to 270 so I would close the ball valve some and then it would drop down to 215 or a little lower. I just can't seem to get it steady.

ebijack 04-02-2014 04:51 AM

From your post, it sounds like you did not catch the temp on the way up. Bringing temps down is tougher than raising them, but very doable. Just a learning curve. How you start your coals is also a big part of the temps your planning on cooking on. You should plan on 30 minutes after making any adjustment to let it settle before doing another adjustment or you will be chasing temps.

Nagel jason 04-02-2014 06:40 AM

When should I start closing my air intakes? I put about 6 pieces of charcoal on top of the basket and spread them out. I thought I read somewhere put them in the middle? Anymore wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beentown 04-02-2014 07:42 AM

Are you using both the intake and exhaust for temp control? If so I recommend opening your exhaust all the way and controlling with just intakes. Good luck. Also I let mine slowly rise with very little intake using the minion method. Takes longer but seems to be perfectly stable.

N8man 04-02-2014 08:03 AM

For those of you new to the DrumPit experience, click the link below my signature...

it's a little something I put together to give you a helping hand...

Nagel jason 04-02-2014 09:08 AM

Thanks for the information! I am using three air intakes in the bottom. One with a ball valve and the others are capped. They all are 3/4 inch. I have a 2 inch exhaust on top. The hole that was already there. I think I didn't not catch it on the way up. I will give a try to using less air at the beginning. I was trying to keep it around the 225 to 235 range. Thanks!

TrueBlueEagle 04-02-2014 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i've already posted this on my own thread, but figured I would be a part of the never ending thread too! Again, the tag is just a temporary hung by a magnet until I get the real tag I want.
here's mine:

waxdart 04-03-2014 02:08 PM

Hey fellas.

I found a local place that sells unlined drums.

I plan on walking in there with my Weber grate and lid to ensure they fit but I'd rater not sort through a bunch of drums to find the right one.

Any idea which 55gal drum I will be looking for?

They have open head, tight head, different bung options..

This is their site:

http://maxicontainer.com/steel-plast...eel-drums.html

cmwr 04-03-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waxdart (Post 2869638)
Hey fellas.

I found a local place that sells unlined drums.

I plan on walking in there with my Weber grate and lid to ensure they fit but I'd rater not sort through a bunch of drums to find the right one.

Any idea which 55gal drum I will be looking for?

They have open head, tight head, different bung options..

This is their site:

http://maxicontainer.com/steel-plast...eel-drums.html

I would look for an open head drum. Any 55 gallon drum (open or closed head) will fit a weber rack. An open head drum will give you a built in lid and in my opinion a flat lid looks cooler. A closed head you will have to find a weber lid for or make your own. Depending on your fabrication skills and access to welders ect, you should probably look for an open head with a 2" bunghole in the lid. That will be your exhaust. Some guys cut their own exhaust holes but if the lid already has one built in I prefer to use it.

waxdart 04-03-2014 07:32 PM

Thanks for the great advice, I'm looking to make this easy, pretty pressed for free time.