The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

PaulG78 08-04-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stglide (Post 1359165)
On to the next delima... getting ready to build the coal box. 18" weber bottom grate, and 12x24 expanded metal. Will take 2 full pieces and part of a third.

Question is I've seen where some weld these together. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder. Figured I could wire them together, and realized my wire is a galv wire. Not sure if that will be a huge problem since everyone uses SS. I'm a little nervous about it.

Any suggestions, as I go back through this thread to see if I can pics and ideas???

Tks!!

Stainless steel zip ties, copper wire, steel coat hanger, that's all I got right now.

pyroskier 08-05-2010 11:51 PM

SoCal Drum Source

I am still looking for a drum out in Ventura County. Anyone have a specific lead? I am still looking at Craigslist, ebay, and calling some engine shops but so far not yet.

Also, here are some good leads closer to Los Angeles if it helps anyone.

http://www.ditty.com/contact.htm

http://www.iconserv.com/company/location.html

stl-rich 08-06-2010 12:15 PM

I was thinking "gotta get some expanded metal for my charcoal bucket" then I thought "Why not use the one from my 18.5" WSM?"

Has anyone tried that? If full of briq wonder how long it will burn?

Comments??

Jay871 08-07-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stglide (Post 1359165)
On to the next delima... getting ready to build the coal box. 18" weber bottom grate, and 12x24 expanded metal. Will take 2 full pieces and part of a third.

Question is I've seen where some weld these together. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder. Figured I could wire them together, and realized my wire is a galv wire. Not sure if that will be a huge problem since everyone uses SS. I'm a little nervous about it.

Any suggestions, as I go back through this thread to see if I can pics and ideas???

Tks!!

I built mine the same way, 18'' weber charcoal grate and 2 pieces of 12 x 24 expanded metal. I fromed the pieces around the grate and attached the ends of the expanded metal with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. Then I used a steel coat hanger for a handle. Works great

codger 08-08-2010 12:34 PM

I've just finished page242, but couldn't wait any longer to post something. I've never seen this big of a group that have had the success of sticking to the ideals they started up with. Long before now most would have had at least a group of them try to make it "All about Me!" I want to add my thanks to all of you for making it possible for people to see what's so accessible to us. I
can't wait till I can get my drum and start. It's coming just have to wait abit. One thing about that is I'll read the rest of this in the meantime.:rolleyes:

chaddie 08-08-2010 12:53 PM

The breathren are all GREAT and have a vast amount of knowledge! :clap2:
With the UDS remember the K.I.S.S. :becky: And welcome aboard, codger! :thumb:

BWJ 08-08-2010 05:50 PM

Well I just aquired a new 30 gallon unlined drum. Gonna make UDS #2. I am thinking on this one I would like to try a BGE draft door. From what I have read it seem most are using the medium/large size door and only need it cracked open. Has anybody used the small/mini sized door? I figured I would use the smaller one being its a smaller drum. Now I just need to find a doner 18.5" kettle for the lid.

stglide 08-08-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay871 (Post 1362033)
I built mine the same way, 18'' weber charcoal grate and 2 pieces of 12 x 24 expanded metal. I fromed the pieces around the grate and attached the ends of the expanded metal with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. Then I used a steel coat hanger for a handle. Works great

Jay... any chance of posting a pic or two of what you did? Would love to see how you did it.
Tks!

otis 08-08-2010 09:32 PM

I just used 1-inch hardware cloth to make the walls for my charcoal basket. Works great, easy to use, cheap, and it really torques some folks when they realize it is **gasp!!** galvanized. I don't figure there is enough galvanizing in the amount used to be an issue.

Rodney 08-09-2010 01:51 AM

Although I didn't use the easiest method to build my basket, the video I made (see my signature) may provide some pointers on basket construction (on what to do AND what not to do! LOL)

-Rodney

henno 08-09-2010 07:01 AM

I have given this thread a good go but I just can't do it guys. I got through the first twenty or so pages and then another 40 or so in the middle but think I now have enough to put together my first UDS.

A question I have not seen asked though is about the dreaded red lining on food grade drums, which yes, I unfortunately acquired. Has anybody considered using paint stripper to remove this instead of all the manual labour of grinding and sanding. I am on a 4 acre property so doing a big burn is not a problem but was wondering what would be wrong with paint stripper to do the bits the burn doesn't get out?

I have read the entire thread by norecore and his redneck UDS and will do a very close copy of his design.

Thanks in advance guys
Henno from Aus

motherlu 08-09-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl-rich (Post 1360908)
I was thinking "gotta get some expanded metal for my charcoal bucket" then I thought "Why not use the one from my 18.5" WSM?"

Has anyone tried that? If full of briq wonder how long it will burn?

Comments??

That's what I did. Fastened the Charcoal ring from a 18.5" WSM to the charcoal grate from a 22.5" Ketttle with U-bolts. The 3 inch U-bolts also act as the legs. I actually used 2 charcoal grates together with the grids running the opposite way on each in order to keep less of the charcoal from falling through. Just did a test burn and it worked out great. A level filled charcoal ring of Kingsford burned at 350 for 1 hour and then fell to 225+/- for the next 15 hours until we just decided to kill it. There was still charcoal left.

Paul B 08-09-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWJ (Post 1362750)
Well I just aquired a new 30 gallon unlined drum. Gonna make UDS #2. I am thinking on this one I would like to try a BGE draft door. From what I have read it seem most are using the medium/large size door and only need it cracked open. Has anybody used the small/mini sized door? I figured I would use the smaller one being its a smaller drum. Now I just need to find a doner 18.5" kettle for the lid.

Smaller one would probably work fine...

Here is a look see at mine...sorry brethern couldn't resist.....

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/DSCF5746.jpg

This is also showing my mod for the ROL (rib-o-lator) and Auspit spit. The spacer ring is also SS.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

stglide 08-09-2010 09:45 PM

Anybody tell me where I can find SS wire? Didn't see it at Lowe's, I stopped by an ACE this weekend, and they didn't have it. Just curious if there was a good source for it out there...

Tks!

stl-rich 08-09-2010 09:50 PM

I went to HD and bought annealed steel rebar wire - should do the job and its cheap :clap: