The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

pigdog 01-31-2010 05:36 PM

one more question, where can you buy the threaded thermometers? Looks like 3/4 or inch nipple around off the dial

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 01-31-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigdog (Post 1163756)
one more question, where can you buy the threaded thermometers? Looks like 3/4 or inch nipple around off the dial

http://www.teltru.com/s-44-food-service.aspx

The 12" one will get to the middle. The "R" part of the number means that it can be re-calibrated.

Boshizzle 01-31-2010 06:50 PM

I'm collecting parts to build a UDS. Do these smokers require a diffuser? How do they perform with one and without one?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 01-31-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1163847)
I'm collecting parts to build a UDS. Do these smokers require a diffuser? How do they perform with one and without one?


It is well worth the time to read this thread from the beginning. You will find several areas of discussion regarding diffusers.

armor 01-31-2010 06:53 PM

No they do not require a diffuser. you ought to read this thread before you shut it down for the evening. :-P

Boshizzle 01-31-2010 06:57 PM

I've read it, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the diffuser thing. I'm thinking that if I ever want to try a hot and fast brisket cook that it may burn if there isn't a diffuser in there.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 01-31-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1163857)
I've read it, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the diffuser thing. I'm thinking that if I ever want to try a hot and fast brisket cook that it may burn if there isn't a diffuser in there.

Having the meat drip directly on the coals is a major part of the UDS concept. Having the grate 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket is key to not burning the meat. Many people believe in turning briskets during the cook, but others leave it fat cap down without turning.

Boshizzle 01-31-2010 07:02 PM

I guess I will just have to experiment. I don't usually turn brisket, but I can change my ways if I have to. I have read a lot about the drippings in the charcoal but never tried it. So, I'll just have to wait and see. If I ever get a drum, I will post some results of my experiments.

pigdog 01-31-2010 07:03 PM

I am looking for the threaded thermos that norco used in his first build and on his tutorial. Any idea where you find the threaded ones?

thanks

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 01-31-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigdog (Post 1163867)
I am looking for the threaded thermos that norco used in his first build and on his tutorial. Any idea where you find the threaded ones?

thanks

Norco used the one from Spicewine Ironworks. Spice is a Brethren.

http://www.spicewineironworks.com/Me...egory_Code=acc

pigdog 01-31-2010 08:13 PM

bingo thanks sir. I am looking back through and trying yo find that coal basket with the square frame and squarehandles coming up . should have written it down

pigdog 01-31-2010 08:17 PM

found the square box on page 173......
 
it is barbarian's firebox. Wonder how that worked out?

Smokin'Ron 02-01-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1163857)
I've read it, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the diffuser thing. I'm thinking that if I ever want to try a hot and fast brisket cook that it may burn if there isn't a diffuser in there.

Make something temporary to start with. Cook with and without a diffuser and decide which you prefer. I used the oriiginal ash pan from the donor weber I used. Drilled 2 7/8" holes in the bottom so it was able to allow those nice juices to get to the coals.

My first cook went well with the diffuser, but my next will be without so I can decide which i prefer.

devious 02-01-2010 07:35 AM

im about half way doen with my UDS build. i cut the top off my drum so the weber lid will fit. the ? is.. is there a type of rubber gasket that i could put on the drum.. not only to keep myself from cutting myself but to help keep the heat in.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-01-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devious (Post 1164230)
im about half way doen with my UDS build. i cut the top off my drum so the weber lid will fit. the ? is.. is there a type of rubber gasket that i could put on the drum.. not only to keep myself from cutting myself but to help keep the heat in.

Did you cut off the entire rim or just inside it?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.