The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sam's Club Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267344)

West River BBQ 12-07-2018 09:44 AM

Sam's Club Brisket

Sam's Club is our big-box store here in the high plains of SD. They recently started carrying Prime grades of beef and the Brisket caught my eye. Their regular grade is Select. Price difference was $3.59 versus $3.09, so I didn't feel like I was gouged. Picking up a brisket from the local butcher shops will run over $6.50/lb, and this is cattle country! I chose a 15 lb brisket. Trimmed it today for cooking tomorrow. Here's the part I wanted to say: The marbling looked very good and I was very impressed. Others may want to give them a chance. (This is not a paid endorsement but if anyone from marketing is reading this...)

boomers bbq 12-07-2018 12:04 PM

Sam's is where I get mine all the time.

medic92 12-07-2018 12:26 PM

I get mine from Sam's as long as it's the Black Canyon brand. When they bring out the Excel briskets I leave them where they are.

sudsandswine 12-07-2018 12:44 PM

I too prefer the choice black canyon briskets over the Excel choice. I never buy Sam's prime briskets which are usually Excel, I've had better results with their "black angus" choice.

jread23 12-07-2018 12:47 PM

I also avoid the excel primes at Sam's

electron_si 12-07-2018 01:00 PM

I’ve used the excel primes and have had decent results but prefer the CAB choice over the excel

SmoothBoarBBQ 12-07-2018 02:12 PM

I ordered a case of briskets from Sam's recently....when it came it was Tyson brand and was all pure garbage. Flats were heavily butchered and the points were almost entirely trimmed off...never seen any other butchers do that. Also some of the briskets (full packers, well, sort of) were 6-7Lbs, and a couple were 9-10Lbs. 100% pure garbage and never doing that again.

Lucky for you guys that you're finding a much better quality product. I've had great luck with Costco Primes at between $3.49-3.99 / Lb. My overall best results have actually been the Choice Superior Angus (CAB) from Restaurant Depot. Great price and consistently tasty results each time.

pjtexas1 12-07-2018 02:13 PM

Never seen good briskets in my Sam's. Select or choice flats only.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

West River BBQ 12-07-2018 05:16 PM

i didn't read the label that carefully. I'll do better next time.

Burnt at Both Endz 12-07-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic92 (Post 4106027)
I get mine from Sam's as long as it's the Black Canyon brand. When they bring out the Excel briskets I leave them where they are.

+1 on what Kevin said.

I have seen a few "members mark" brand briskets that were decent. Had a discussion with the meat cutter a few months ago. I told him that he needed some more Black Canyon briskets in the cooler, he told me that he only had a few cases left that were spoken for. I said the brisket looked a little "light" , he responded by saying he would see if he had anything heavier in the cooler.

When he came out with a half dozen 18lbers or so, I told him that the "members mark brand" brisket was false advertisement, because they said fresh never frozen. I pointed out all the purge on the previous frozen ones that were in the cooler. His reply was, " I wish they wouldn't put that sh!t on the package". :tsk:

highergr0und 12-07-2018 08:15 PM

I grab them from Sam's on occasion. Mine usually only has 1 or 2 out so I ask the workers to bring me a case to choose one.

As a side note, my local Sam's now opened an actual meat counter. They sell some great looking prime stuff and even have some "wagyu" steaks that look pretty good

bbqwizard 12-07-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highergr0und (Post 4106272)
I grab them from Sam's on occasion. Mine usually only has 1 or 2 out so I ask the workers to bring me a case to choose one.

As a side note, my local Sam's now opened an actual meat counter. They sell some great looking prime stuff and even have some "wagyu" steaks that look pretty good

I'm jealous for two reasons. 1. I see you live in Franklin, TN. My wife and I would love to move to that area.

2. I wish my Sam's had a counter.

sudsandswine 12-07-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqwizard (Post 4106295)
I'm jealous for two reasons. 1. I see you live in Franklin, TN. My wife and I would love to move to that area.

2. I wish my Sam's had a counter.

Yeah they're remodeling all the Sams here to have the counter...Berkshire pork, grass fed, prime, and wagyu beef at the counter, no mechanical tenderizing *cough costco cough*. Head to head I much prefer Sam's to Costco for meat. I still really like the IBP prime packer briskets I get from Costco, no business centers or SRF or CAB prime here though.

Stlsportster 12-07-2018 10:41 PM

As with most things that make me spend more money...I like different stuff at each place so I pay to belong to both.

I generally like the meat better at Costco. Picked up a prime packer tonight for 2.99/lb. They also have pork belly and i like their prepackaged chicken breasts and wings better.

But I like the full spares from Sams and they have outstanding CAB tri tip and plate short ribs they sell me out of the back in the cryo. Sams also has bone in butts.

Pork tenderloin, chuck, eye of round, and ground beef are fine at either.

Huskres 12-08-2018 09:47 AM

All I have ever seen is excel brisket at Sams in Tulsa. Sometimes it’s hard to get prime brisket at Sams though. I’d love a Costco card but it’s a bit of a drive for me and I would rarely use it.