The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

sparky66 08-20-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro608 (Post 2183253)
Mine will shot to 500 no prob. I to have 3-3/4 intakes and weber lid I just don't go much higher. Worried about paint. I know,it will take it . Still

To peddler
Thanks for pic . Good idea.

Smoke on Jethro!

sparky66 08-20-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 653368)
I have my Redneck Guru. Also Notley Q uses a guru if i remember right. You don't actually need one but you do need to rattle or kick can every so often to shake ash loose.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_2612.jpg

Oh man, I love it! I'm just recovering from laughing so hard. but what's even funnier is the fact that I thought about doing something like this yesterday.

Sparky

Jethro608 08-20-2012 08:32 PM

That is cool do you have any other pics . I'm lost on the gizmos. But I made a redneck fan & trying to figure a way to add temp control. Poor man poor ways:cool: Attachment 69701
Attachment 69699
Really built it for my offset but didn't light enough coals for the uds tried it and it pushed enough air to get that thing hot fast. So....came the next idea temp controler?

Jethro608 08-20-2012 09:15 PM

Oh man, I love it! I'm just recovering from laughing so hard. but what's even funnier is the fact that I thought about doing something like this yesterday.<br />
<br />
Sparky[/QUOTE]
Ok did I miss something. Or r u poken fun at me?

sparky66 08-20-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro608 (Post 2183459)
That is cool do you have any other pics . I'm lost on the gizmos. But I made a redneck fan & trying to figure a way to add temp control. Poor man poor ways:cool: Attachment 69701
Attachment 69699
Really built it for my offset but didn't light enough coals for the uds tried it and it pushed enough air to get that thing hot fast. So....came the next idea temp controler?

J, I'm not sure what norcorednect has going on there but you need 3 things to simulate the stoker or guru: fan, thermostat, with switch controlling the two for set temp. I haven't thought about it enough. I'm an electrician and could probably come up with something if I pondered but I might just break down on a guru or stoker down the road if I start catering.

Sparky

sparky66 08-20-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 659234)
I feel a Weber kettle lid modification coming...I'm thinking on adding 2 more vents just like the first one...equally spaced. I'm thinking this will eliminate the hot spot. Thoughts?

How can you tell if you get a hot spot?

Sparky

sparky66 08-20-2012 11:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Probably not a good idea to use this drum dolly right? From what I can tell, it is plastic. Dude is selling it for $25. Commercial grade dolly, rated to carry a 500-lbs barrel or drum.

sparky66 08-20-2012 11:30 PM

Now I'm thinking it might if I just put some tiles on the bottom because my fire basket is elevated anyway from the bottom of the drum. It sits in an ash pan. I just remembered I have to post some pics of the newly completed UDS anyway.

sparky66 08-21-2012 03:56 AM

Looks like the pioneers of this thread have abandoned this thread and willed it over to the new breed to carry on. Will post some pics maybe tomorrow.

Sparky

Peddler 08-21-2012 08:39 AM

Well this thread is 5 or so years old.

Jethro608 08-21-2012 09:46 AM

They prob. Figure with 9000 post we can figure it out. Heck we might invent some new concoction.. at work right now so I be here later. May be should start a thread to talk & post good chit here

J-Rod 08-21-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky66 (Post 2183686)
Probably not a good idea to use this drum dolly right? From what I can tell, it is plastic. Dude is selling it for $25. Commercial grade dolly, rated to carry a 500-lbs barrel or drum.

I'd steer clear of that plastic dolly, even with an elevated basket or whatever. In the event that your UDS gets a bit hot(which can happen)you'll have a nice melted plastic mess on your smoker and whatever it's sitting on. Not good.

Aside from that, since it's on casters it will most likely move whenever you tend to the meat or fire. That could get annoying.

InTheRedZoneBBQ 08-21-2012 05:47 PM

I would not use the plastic, but the wheels could sure come off and mount directly to the bottom of the drum no problem.

sparky66 08-21-2012 06:02 PM

Yeah, I didn't get the plastic dolly but I def. want a drum dolly like this but not going to spend that much. I'm thinking about just making one. If I welded, I would just weld some caster on but I might just make a furniture dolly with some 2x4's with casters.

Sparky

Jethro608 08-21-2012 06:46 PM

I got mine on wood also. No probs yet. But other have warned against it. Yet I have haven't had anybody say thers caught fire.doesn't seem to get that hot. But plastic:confused: