The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

IronStomach 01-09-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbramm (Post 1139721)
has anyone ever used a weber smokey joe as the charcoal "basket" for a drum? i have a line on a $5 smokey joe and thought that would be fast and easy way to get a charcoal "basket" in a drum. capacity might be an issue and maybe air flow as well.

thoughts?

cheers,

scott

I don't know if airflow is going to be your friend with that... but you could probably use the grill grate as the bottom of the charcoal basket, fwiw. At least that's my plan. :-P

Meat Burner 01-09-2010 10:34 PM

It's nice to see the new ideas and some have some merit. My suggestion would be to build a simple UDS and don't reinvent anything. You might be surprised that it really does work at it's best without reinventing every little thing.

sbramm 01-10-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 1139808)
It's nice to see the new ideas and some have some merit. My suggestion would be to build a simple UDS and don't reinvent anything. You might be surprised that it really does work at it's best without reinventing every little thing.

i have already built 3 drums so far! all have been traditional builds without deviating from the established and proven design. i figured i would throw the smokey joe idea out even though i wasn't quite convinced of its potential for success myself!

cheers,

scott

millsy 01-10-2010 06:22 AM

I say scoop the smokey joe for $5 and try it.If i doesn't work you still have a SJ.

Toyotatruckin 01-10-2010 01:57 PM

Smoker update, even in the cold (below freezing with a nice breeze) the smoker worked flawless! smoked up a nice 10lb butt with cherry and hickory and only had to reload once (didnt get nuff coal in the basket -- was first smoke on the sucker) held nice temps and the intake worked great..love the color coded gauge to just look out the window of the warm house and see where your at.. the other two 3/4 capped emergency intakes I placed on it, Well I did use one when I reloaded the smoker to recover a little quicker so they arnt a waste!!-

MushCreek 01-10-2010 02:32 PM

I just started a second drum today- a steelie this time. It's for a friend of mine at work. We get hydraulic fluid in them fairly often, and they don't have the dreaded liner. I rinsed it out with mineral spirits, then scrubbed it with Dawn liquid soap, blasted it with the pressure washer, and torched it off today. I filled it with cut up pallets and had me a good fire going! I'm kinda surprised the local fire department didn't show up, as I live in dense suburbs where nice people don't do that sort of thing. Next weekend I'll finish her up. I'll post some pics then, but it's gonna be a pretty routine UDS- nothing new or fancy.

h20loo 01-10-2010 03:35 PM

I'm surprised your neighbors weren't all huddled around it and commending you on a good idea!!

MushCreek 01-10-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1140382)
I'm surprised your neighbors weren't all huddled around it and commending you on a good idea!!

That's a good point- the temperature shot up to 42 today after a low of 30.... and this supposed to be Florida! Mid 20's tonight- brrrr! (we need a frozen emoticon)

rau916 01-10-2010 08:01 PM

Basic UDS

I must admit that while all of this information for endless modifications on building a UDS is great...I am really uncertain on what a "basic/traditional" UDS consists of? Could somebody direct me to an old thread or lend a hand?? My barrel is ready to build, I am hungry and I need some help.

Wyley 01-10-2010 08:04 PM

Here you go....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Paul

timmy7649 01-10-2010 08:05 PM

how do you keep your uds from building up water. maybe a little hole in the bottom? what is your all thoughts?

Diamond State Smoker 01-11-2010 01:55 PM

i have a 2"diameterx 4" long black pipe with an elbow. keeps water and snow out. for exhaust at the bung hole

IronStomach 01-11-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmy7649 (Post 1140594)
how do you keep your uds from building up water. maybe a little hole in the bottom? what is your all thoughts?

Do you mean from condensation and/or steam? How is the water getting in in any quantity that builds up?

If you have a hole in the bottom, I'd say to make sure you have a way to control whether or not it's open during a cook otherwise it'd be an intake.

Mark 01-11-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronStomach (Post 1141400)
Do you mean from condensation and/or steam? How is the water getting in in any quantity that builds up?

If you have a hole in the bottom, I'd say to make sure you have a way to control whether or not it's open during a cook otherwise it'd be an intake.

That's exactly my approach. I dont need no steenkin ball valves or magnets.

otis 01-11-2010 10:51 PM

Mark--I guess I'm a bit dense. The last picture shows the round disk wit the tabs...how? Is it in the bottom with the bent tabs down? If so, I assume that allows the air from the bottom vent to come up around the disk and into the charcoal basket? Are the tabs strong enough to support the weight of the charcoal basket when full?

Thanks for clarifying this.