The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quit my job, time to open up a BBQ Restaurant! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271976)

PC Smoker 05-12-2019 11:28 AM

Quit my job, time to open up a BBQ Restaurant!

So it finally came time to hand in my notice at work to prepare for a long (and hopefully prosperous) journey to open a Smokehouse in my home city of Wilmington, NC. I currently am a GM of a "famous" Southern Fried Chicken QSR and am (mostly) prepared for this trip. After binge reading through another post on here about another brethren's journey, I've decided to share mine.

The lease has been agreed to by both parties and now we are signing the documents next week! Food distributors have been lined up, smokers are about to be ordered, and now preparing for the start of everything else! I'm excited, nervous, and anxious but in my heart I know this is what I want to do.

Cape Fear Smokehouse- Coming October 2019!

Mikhail 05-12-2019 11:30 AM

Wow! I hope to be in Wilmington next year. What is your timeframe? I'd be glad to come contribute to a good start.

Curious as to how long it takes to get equipment in.

LloydQ 05-12-2019 11:38 AM

You are a braver man than I! Best wishes on a long and prosperous journey!

MisterChrister 05-12-2019 11:39 AM

Wow, that's really exciting for you, congratulations!!! I look forward to following your journey! What kind of smokers did you settle on?

PC Smoker 05-12-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikhail (Post 4177686)
Wow! I hope to be in Wilmington next year. What is your timeframe? I'd be glad to come contribute to a good start.

Curious as to how long it takes to get equipment in.

My lease will start June 1st. I negotiated a 4 month rent-free build period, so I am praying I open by October 1st! Equipment shouldn't take too long, buying most of it from a local seller. The smokers are going to take about 6 weeks from order to delivery!

Stingerhook 05-12-2019 11:46 AM

Congrats James, we'll all be pulling for you.

bschoen 05-12-2019 11:47 AM

Best of luck!

drunkenmeatfist 05-12-2019 11:49 AM

What smokers will you choose? I would suggest the Pit Boss Copperhead. It has plenty of room. That was a joke. Good luck.

PC Smoker 05-12-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterChrister (Post 4177688)
Wow, that's really exciting for you, congratulations!!! I look forward to following your journey! What kind of smokers did you settle on?

I settled on the Ole Hickory CTO. Ordering 2 of them for different cook temps depending on what we're smoking! Also figured it was good to have a back up just in case! I LOVE the CTO, used it at a prior job. Reliable, holds a LOT of product, and the convection feature is great.

4ever3 05-12-2019 11:52 AM

Congratulations!!!

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

rwalters 05-12-2019 12:03 PM

How exciting! Very much looking forward to watching this unfold :)

PatAttack 05-12-2019 12:08 PM

Good luck!

Next time I'm in Wilmington, I'll stop in.

bam 05-12-2019 12:12 PM

Wish You The Best Of Luck. Keep Us Posted On The Process To Opening Day.

pjtexas1 05-12-2019 12:59 PM

You're a crazy farker! Good luck! Nice to have the 4 month cushion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chingador 05-12-2019 01:13 PM

Wishing you good fortune, good luck, success and happiness. Seems you are coming from a restaurant background so you likely have a good grasp of the business side of things. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

What style BBQ will you serve? Strictly Carolina (eastern,western, both?) or something else? What style is popular in Wilmington?