The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

sfbbqguy 01-15-2009 12:19 PM

Know what you mean...full of piss and vinegar...I think I did the same to my neighbors when cleaning my drum out, and I live in the city!
They'll get over it when you show up at their door with some good que from the drum. Then they'll be grinding theirs out.
Just keep cleaning that sucker out and get on to the cooking.

Jackson Colfer 01-15-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 826724)
Know what you mean...full of piss and vinegar...I think I did the same to my neighbors when cleaning my drum out, and I live in the city!
They'll get over it when you show up at their door with some good que from the drum. Then they'll be grinding theirs out.
Just keep cleaning that sucker out and get on to the cooking.

Haha, I appreciate the encouragement, but I'm going to give the crazy old lady a break ... today anyway. She's now my official excuse to slack off.

Me, feed her? Oh the stories I could tell about living across the street from that woman! Then again I guess she could say the same thing about me, but at least I am no peeping tom! (What's the preferred nomenclature for a female peeping tom?)

If'n it weren't for ...odd neighbors, I'd have none 'tall.

jocosa 01-17-2009 12:07 PM

Gotta love your neighbors, anything that happens in our yard is 'normal' to them... from the noise of cutting the top out of a 15 gallon beer keg (to make a brewing kettle), to whack and smash guys in armor beating up on each other (we do medieval reenacting), to having a yard full of tents from the 11-14th centuries (reenacting thing again), to the light of 10 ft tall propane torches lighting up the back yard because we have a house full of people over for the weekend, to the mouthwatering smells coming from our smokers... they more or less just throw up a hand and yell 'hey, what's up today?'

If we have to grind out the liner in a drum, it'll just be "another day in the neighborhood." :)

Jackson Colfer 01-19-2009 09:58 AM

I was talking to my buddy last night and when I mentioned that I needed to pick up a few new knotted wire brushes for my grinder he produced a new in package 40 grit 4.5" 'Norton Zirconia Abrasive Flap Disc'.

Looks like it's made of resin backed fiber and some sort of glue binding the zirconia abrasive media to the flaps.

Anybody think it'd be a hazard to use this inside a smoker?

Dr_KY 01-19-2009 10:48 AM

Nahh I would just get aftr it ad see what happens.

Jackson Colfer 01-19-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 829946)
Nahh I would just get aftr it ad see what happens.

Damn, that thing is worth it's weight in gold. 40 grit at a few thousand RPM will get /something/ done in a hurry.

I'm 95% done with the drum liner, just need to pick up one of those wire wheels that's made up of the single strands of wire so I can get into the tight cracks around the bottom rim.

Then all I've got to do is clean the drum lid, double check the inside of the drum for missed spots and I'm ready to make a charcoal ring, ash pan and mount the grates and thermometer.

You guys have been a huge help to me, thanks a lot!

Dr_KY 01-19-2009 03:28 PM

That's what I'm talkin bout!

drunk chicken 01-20-2009 02:56 PM

Thanks

I've just completed my first UDS build. Pics to follow. I have to admit, I read the first 50 pages of the thread, took copious notes and then read the redneck UDS thread too. I had enough information and measurements floating around in my head that I almost overthought how simple this really is to put together.

Unlike many Brothers out there, I had none of the required materials and invested in new stainless hardware, casters, grills, wire mesh, barrel, handles, ball cock valve, spiced wine thermometer, and step drill.

Having said that, for the $160 I spent, I could not be more proud, nor could I have bought a new BBQ pit, of the quality for anywhere close to that price. I am very particular and have the satisfaction in knowing that this thing is well built and will no doubt outlast me.....

I built a "twin" for my golfing buddy who is thinking of getting into BBQing. I've had a NB Bandera, Custom offset and a WSM and this UDS has the best qualities of each. Ease of use, quality of result and it's a great conversaton piece!

Thanks to all the Brothers out there who added to the UDS thread and especially for the detailed information and priceless pictures.

Many Thanks!

JD McGee 01-21-2009 01:36 PM

Check out this guys paint job...pretty slick! There's some pretty good pron pics as well...he might be a Brethren...or should be. Here's a link to the sales ad on craig's list.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/999732109.html

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...S/2b307145.jpg

Here's a link to the sales ad on craig's list.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/999732109.html

Barbarian 01-21-2009 02:59 PM

I am building a new UDS and have a question. The one I built last year I built a new lid for and did not mess with cleaning out the foam seal around the inside lip of the drum lid. So what is the best way to get that sticky stuff outta there?

Bbq Bubba 01-21-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 831767)
I am building a new UDS and have a question. The one I built last year I built a new lid for and did not mess with cleaning out the foam seal around the inside lip of the drum lid. So what is the best way to get that sticky stuff outta there?

I suggest you go back and read this entire thread, your answer is there. :twisted:

Barbarian 01-21-2009 03:39 PM

Thanks bubba, did that last year but gettin' old and cannot recall everything or the stuff I did not use.

Bbq Bubba 01-21-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 831815)
Thanks bubba, did that last year but gettin' old and cannot recall everything or the stuff I did not use.

J/K Jerry, mine usually come out clean but i have taken a small torch and burned the glue off one. :biggrin:

Barbarian 01-21-2009 04:15 PM

Thanks bubba, was worried about using the weed burner and warping the lid.

Barbarian 01-21-2009 04:16 PM

This lid left quite a bit of the sticky chit behind when I scraped out the foam seal.