The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bandera 101 Document (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42718)

Solidkick 05-18-2008 09:05 AM

Bandera 101 Document

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the original Bandera 101 document. It is in Word format.

edit:

Baffle template by Dark thunder added.

Brauma 05-18-2008 02:28 PM

Like, duh!! :idea: Why didnt we think of making this a sticky a long, long time ago?? :lol:

Thanks for making it easier to find. :wink:

QansasjayhawQ 05-18-2008 03:35 PM

AND - if anyone needs it in Rich Text Format (read: NOT Microsoft Word) just send me a message and I'll email it to you.
(file upload didn't work from this Macintosh for some reason)

dbhost 07-02-2008 09:52 AM

The Bandera 101 document needs some correction / updating to include some of the newer mods. I have an updated copy. Any way to send it on where it can do some good?

Jorge 07-02-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbhost (Post 676779)
The Bandera 101 document needs some correction / updating to include some of the newer mods. I have an updated copy. Any way to send it on where it can do some good?

Check your PM box

dbhost 07-02-2008 12:49 PM

Done, I will send it from home. No problem!

elwood 07-24-2008 01:20 PM

I live in Bandera and have a Bandera Smoker...sweet huh!

The smoker needs a new coat of paint, anyone have suggestions as to what paint I should use?

BBQchef33 07-24-2008 03:23 PM

high temp rustoleum is what I use.

howy61 10-29-2008 08:31 AM

How do I get to the Bandera 101? Everytime I click the link, it asks me to log on again and then tells me I don't have the authority.

Wish this discussion was around in '05 when I bought mine. Sounds like better solutions than I came up with like raising the fire grate using rebar.

--------------- UPDATE ---------------
Ok never mind the doc request. A couple hours later when I tried the link again it worked.

Going through the doc, I saw oil smoke points came off the Good Eats fans site. That made me think maybe a quarry tile would work in the smoke box. That was an Alton Brown's suggestion for a cost effective alternative to a pizza stone in the oven. Since his recipe has the oven at 500 degrees with the tile, it should work in the bottom of the smoke box. Got to like Brown's hardware store solutions over expensive kitchen stuff.

howy61 12-31-2008 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is there any more info on the silicon door gasket (Brand, etc.)?

I am trying a different lay out in the fire box hoping it will hold more heat. At minimum it will keep all coals off the steel box walls. The cinder tray will not fit, but some aluminum foil should keep clean up easy. The same basic layout was used in the smoke box too with vertical bricks on only 2 sides.

Ace Hardware can order split fire brick, but the price was almost 3 times what I paid at a brick yard ($1.10 per brick). The manufacturer has links on the site to their dealers: http://www.rumford.com/store/firebrick.html.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you also need a masonry cut off wheel to cut and notch the bricks to fit. A 7 inch wheel was $2.09 at Home Depot. Take your time. Fire brick are much harder than conventional brick. Don't be surprised if you wear down the wheel. Finally, if you have a respirator mask, use it! The dust from cutting especially this type of ceramic brick would do a real number on the lungs.

howy61 01-30-2009 12:50 PM

Fire bricks makes all the difference. I setup the firebox the same way I always did and the next thing I knew, the smoke box was reading 350 degrees. HELLOW!!!

It use to be a struggle to keep the smoke box a 225 degrees. Now 250 is easy.

Also found that the ash tray can be retasked into the bottom of the smoke box. Import for me because I do not use the bowl. I perferr to mop my ribs once an hour instead.

Finally, any update on the silicon door seal?

Bogus Chezz Hawg 03-17-2009 11:33 AM

Thanks for the tips. I will give the fire bricks a try in my BSKD.

swamprb 05-05-2009 07:00 AM

I've got and read the Bandera 101 Document, are there any updates that have been added?

I plan to do the firebrick mod.

The smokebox door seems fairly tight, not known yet how much smoke/heat loss it may have, but am thinking it won't be all that hot that a BGE felt gasket or Cotronics gasket would work-any thoughts??

I need grates/racks, besides buying replacements from Char-Broil or having some expando welded up- what are some other options? I have some NSF chrome Metro shelves that I may donate to the cause.

Anyone using a Guru or Stoker on theirs?? Can you show me your setup?

How about some charcoal basket designs? I could use some inspiration!

Thanks in advance!!

fatty7879 05-16-2009 11:24 AM

I may be too dumb to find it but where can I find the so called files section for these mods?

bbqlover 05-22-2009 09:07 AM

Need fire basket

Loved the Bandera 101 Word doc. Just ordered a new Bandera and am waiting for it to arrive so I can start with the recommended mods. Is someone currently making and selling charcoal baskets. I want to buy one.

Thanks for the help!