The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Road Trips (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Where to go? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275621)

alisonalivesey 09-20-2019 05:52 AM

Where to go?

My friend is coming to the US and will be travelling from Chicago to New Orleans. She likes music and food and is looking for recommendation for places to visit. I said South East North Carolina for BBQ and she ha asked me for any recommendations for places to visit for great BBQ. As I am in the UK and have never been but been told on here that the best place for BBQ I thought I'd ask.

Blythewood BBQ'er 09-20-2019 07:29 AM

It might be out of her way but Charleston SC has both great BBQ and lots of good music. Rodney Scott's, Lewis BBQ, and Swig and Swine seem to be the top down there.

Ron_L 09-20-2019 10:38 AM

If she is going from Chicago to New Orleans the Carolinas are waayyyy out of her way :-D

The most direct route will take her through Memphis, which is a great place for BBQ.

St Louis is not a bad detour and has a great history in BBQ and Music. That route would likely go through Memphis as well.

A longer detour would be to go through Indianapolis and then Nashville. Nashville also is great for music and BBQ!

Once she picks her route we can add suggestions. I moved this thread to the Brethren Roadtrips section of the forum, and there are suggestions for all of these in this section as well.

If she needs suggestions for the Chicago area, we can add that as well!

Stlsportster 09-20-2019 05:16 PM

St Louis to Memphis. St Louis is about 5.5 hours right down a major highway (55). Memphis is another 4 hours south.

Both would be great stops!!

cowboyupbbq 09-20-2019 10:57 PM

If she wants bbq, it’s not a far trip to KC, which has great bbq.

alisonalivesey 09-21-2019 03:49 AM

Where to go

Thank you so much - you are all so helpful. I have passed on the suggestions and am really jealous I am stuck here in Warwickshire! Of course it you are ever in Blighty I do an awesome brisket!

LYU370 09-21-2019 03:27 PM

If she goes through Memphis, please tell her to avoid Rendezvous. No matter what kind of great reviews she may have read. She'll thank you later. I've tried it several times and will never ever go back there again. :puke:

BUT! Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken is not to be missed.

17th Street BBQ in Murphysboro IL is another great spot.

Let us know what route she's thinking of taking. In Chicago, tell her to stay far, far away from the far South & West sides of the city. The John Hancock has better views than the Sears Tower.