• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Barrel House Vertical Cooker?

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anyone got one and is the a BHC thread? I did a search and nothing solid.

or is that a bad thing??

I don't think that cooker is gonna get much play around here.

This is too small a community to get away with the bhc's funny business

Enlighten me - what funny biz?

You can check the pbc appreciate thread...or amazon reviews...its been alleged that the makers of the barrel house cooker had a no compete with pbc and decided to wipe their arse with with the agreement. Again this is only what ive heard.

You can check the pbc appreciate thread...or amazon reviews...its been alleged that the makers of the barrel house cooker had a no compete with pbc and decided to wipe their arse with with the agreement. Again this is only what ive heard.

What Ninja is saying is correct. PBC contracted with MD manufacturing (the company that now makes the barrel house cooker) to manufacture the barrels for the PBC. All design and research info was given to MD to help with the process. At the last minute MD backed out of the contract. A few years later when the PBC had become highly successful, the GM of MD Manufacturing (I believe that was his title....I don't want to put his name on here per Phil's request) started making the Barrel House Cooker....an obvious knock off of the PBC. If you search you can find the actual allegations that were filed in the lawsuit.

MD manufacturing makes a lot of home central vacuum systems. If you look them up you will see that the cooker looks very similar to their vacuum systems.

http://builtinvacuum.com/

To me it's not a matter of whether or not the cooker works well. It's the sleezy way it came to market that would turn me away. But that's just my opinion. Obviously it's up to those interested to determine if they wanna support a product like that.

Myself, an EggHead, I had to read the comparison they have of their cooker to an Large Big Green Egg. Once I quit laughing, it's obvious these guys are a different breed.
In so much as most of their marketing materials and comparisons remind me of a "Old DOOR to DOOR Vacuum Cleaner Salesman's" routine.
I not a barrel cooker so I can't say one is as good or better than the other. But I can say, I would not buy anything from these guys!

Had to chuckle when I read this thread, then went back to the Q-talk homepage and saw these two ad banners together!

1484326783_zps5yq4yirh.png

What Ninja is saying is correct. PBC contracted with MD manufacturing (the company that now makes the barrel house cooker) to manufacture the barrels for the PBC. All design and research info was given to MD to help with the process. At the last minute MD backed out of the contract. A few years later when the PBC had become highly successful, the GM of MD Manufacturing (I believe that was his title....I don't want to put his name on here per Phil's request) started making the Barrel House Cooker....an obvious knock off of the PBC. If you search you can find the actual allegations that were filed in the lawsuit.

MD manufacturing makes a lot of home central vacuum systems. If you look them up you will see that the cooker looks very similar to their vacuum systems.

http://builtinvacuum.com/

To me it's not a matter of whether or not the cooker works well. It's the sleezy way it came to market that would turn me away. But that's just my opinion. Obviously it's up to those interested to determine if they wanna support a product like that.

I agree. Noah and his wife are very good people that go out of their way to employee and help veterans and to give back in many ways to the community.

OK

I think I'm beginning to get it. So all the negative vibes are due to whatever shady dealings have transpired between these two companies. I got no dog in that fight.

So, I don't suppose I'll be getting any public feedback here on the pros or cons of said shady 14" hanging meat drum smoker?? Other than its a ripoff of PBC, or any other drum that has some kind of right to claim its the one and only.

I'll be upfront about this - I ain't buying one, I'm gonna clone one! I mean there is nothing groundbreaking about a direct fired 15 gallon drum on a charcoal basket.

I just wanna know if a 14" Weber Smokey Joe lid will fit on a BHC?

Has anyone that built a Mini Smoker Joe "aka the Tamale Pot mod" using any of the BHC grates or hanging racks?

OR

Using the BHC hanging meat rack in a 14" WSM?

This is the kinda chit I want to know and haven't been able to find!

https://www.barrelhousecooker.com/products/cooking-accessories/all/

I've been around here long enough to see virtually every type of drum imaginable and kind of have the clones covered. When someone mentioned BHC makes central vacuums, I always think the ones I see at the local scrappers would make a good smoker!!

This is what I'm playing with at the moment

I don't mean to get anyone in a huff (which apparently I unknowingly did with someone I kind of respected that is a PBC owner) so if anyone has any answers to my inquiries I'd really appreciate it! Feel free to PM me or post it here.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Last edited:
Yeah you are probably right about the negative stuff. Not sure what PBC owner got upset with you or why......As a PBC owner I wasn't offended by anything you said.

If you build a BHC replica that'd be cool I think. I actually like scrolling through build threads. There are some talented builders here! I'd also be interested in hearing how it cooked if you built one.
You can get some of the accessories you are looking for at the PBC site too. Could probably make your hanging grate out of a Weber 14" and cut all but 2 or 3 of the cross bars out....

Can't help you with you other questions but good luck! :thumb:

I don't think that cooker is gonna get much play around here.

This is too small a community to get away with the bhc's funny business

Can I say "he who remains nameless" then go off on MD Manufacturing and Barrel House Cooker?

I am preparing a HUGE thread about it (written professionally with attached documents) anyway. As well as some videos. So I am trying to weigh the gentlemanly way AClarke handles this and the ruthless, people better get out of the way of the flack, Pitmaster T way.

Can I say "he who remains nameless" then go off on MD Manufacturing and Barrel House Cooker?

I am preparing a HUGE thread about it (written professionally with attached documents) anyway. As well as some videos. So I am trying to weigh the gentlemanly way AClarke handles this and the ruthless, people better get out of the way of the flack, Pitmaster T way.

Thats not going to help me.

Back