• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's your favorite way to cook corn?

Q

Qing

Taking a poll - There's got to be a bunch of different ways to cook corn... My favorite method is simple. I remove the silk leaving the husk on. Soak in plain water for a couple of hours. Wrap tightly in foil and place over direct heat and cook till tender. I basically put it on with whatever else I'm cooking so the temp and time vary with each cook. Haven't had a problem getting great results. The most I'll add to the corn is a little sea salt and butter. But if the corn is sweet - I'll eat it naked. What's your favorite way to cook corn?

I also soak the whole ears of corn in cold water before throwing on a hot grill. However, I never remove the silk until after the corn is cooked. I find it is much easier to remove then.

Two days and a dollar short :redface: Thanks for the links. Other than the "Mexican street vendor" style, seems like everyone is basically doing the same thing. Guess at the end of the day, corn on the cob tastes good enough all by itself!

clean it, olive oil, salt and pepper, grill (and at grilling temps, not for very long)

Corn in the husks in beer fridge for 2 days.
2 hrs on my Klose mobile pit at 250 for 2 hrs.
1 hr. on a cookie sheet at 350 in an oven.
Silk, husks pull right off, just rember to wear oven mitts.

Interesting techniques listed above.

I may be getting lazy or old, or maybe old and lazy, but I husk and de-silk the ears, wrap each in a paper towel, run them under the tap, put on a plate, and microwave 2 ears at a time for 5 minutes. Butter, salt, pepper...quite tasty.

My favorite method is to pull the husks back, but not all the way off and then remove most of the silk. Then I just loosely put the husks back in place. From there it's on the grill above a high direct heat for 10 minutes give or take, rotating a quarter turn every couple minutes.

When not cooking outside I use a knife to cut the kernels off the ear and throw them into a pot of salted water. Then simmer for a few minutes until done. Drain, and add a pad of butter to the bowl and it's like canned corn, only 1000% better. :thumb:

There are a bunch o' ways to cook corn on a grill or pit but my fav way to cook corn is ole fashioned fried home style corn.

Allow ~ one corn cob per person

take the shuck off the corn
take silk off the corn
take the cob and position it upright in a large diameter shallow bowl
slice about 2/3 of the kernal off the cob in a downward motion
turn the cob and repeat until the cob is finished
turn the knife over and use the back of the blade to remove the remains of the kernals into the bowl.

Cook about 1 strip of bacon per person.
Roast or fry per your choice.

Crumble the bacon

Use maybe 1/2 of the grease - to your taste - and
place all ingredients in a frying pan
season with salt and pepper and cook till you're happy.

O' course some of this could be done in your pit.

I keep it traditional old school. Shuck, throw in a pot of boiling water, 7-10 minutes soak, time ta eat. L'il S&P and butter.

clean it, olive oil, salt and pepper, grill (and at grilling temps, not for very long)

Basically the same for me. I give it a minimal wipe down with oil, sprinkle on some kosher salt and pepper, and put it on the grill.

This time of year, when sweet corn is available, I can make a meal out of it. I eat it as it comes off of the grill. No butter. Nothing else is needed.

CD

I like the methods like described above. I also sometimes like shaving some fresh corn off the raw cob and into a pan with butter and heat on the grill with some wood chunks to give some smokey flavor.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1698865 said:
I just cut the ends off and throw the ear's on the Grill. :doh:

I hear ya, what's with the soaking in water? :crazy:

Run each cob down a corn creamer, pour corn in pan, add a little milk, water, salt, pepper and butter and simmer for about an hour.

This is a pic of a piece of corn I did on the 4th, Mexican corn. Grilled the corn on high heat in husks until charred all over. Mixed up equal part of mayo and plain yogurt with 3TBS of lime juice and sprinkeled with a mixture of chili powder,cumin,cayenne pepper and grated parmeasean cheese although it calls for cojita cheese. We also had cilantro on the side to add if wanted. This receipe was taken from Chris Lilly.
Damn good corn, ate another one tonight!!:becky:

2011-07-04_19-23-52_27.jpg

Shuck corn, rub with mayo and season with dizzy pig pineapple head and grill direct high heat turning often until caramelized. SWEET!!

I actually ate some raw a few weeks ago and was shocked at how much I liked it. I won't be doing it every time, but it's a new and viable option for me.

I did corn this 4th a few different ways. The favorite was grilled over high heat for about ten minutes (rotating), then rubbed with sliced lemon, then sea salt. Simple, yet people were raving. This nine-year-old boy couldn't stop talking about it. I always appreciate compliments from the kids more. You know they're genuine.

Back