The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

BadHorsieBBQ 02-17-2010 10:36 PM

I stopped by Big Lots on my way from a apointment this morning and bought one too.

dubster 02-17-2010 11:25 PM

2nd UDS

I finally got around to building my 2nd UDS and am doing a seasoning run tonight. Sorry for the lack of pics on the build (too much beer mod:roll:) I went with the k.i.s.s. build, the only mods made were the big belly mod, and a set of wheels. My question is its been going roughly 1 1/2 hours, and only reads 210* in the side gauge. I have one nipple, and my ball valve wide open, and am using the large bung for exhaust. Shouldnt my temps be higher? I was hoping for better control with this one, as my other one has only one 2 1/4" intake, and one 2 3/4" exhaust. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Draven Q Smoker 02-18-2010 02:35 AM

Any thoughts on the CharBroil Sure2Burn firestarter packets?Just scored a few, and I'l like to know how effective they are before I decide to use them with a cook.

h20loo 02-18-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubster (Post 1186199)
I finally got around to building my 2nd UDS and am doing a seasoning run tonight. Sorry for the lack of pics on the build (too much beer mod:roll:) I went with the k.i.s.s. build, the only mods made were the big belly mod, and a set of wheels. My question is its been going roughly 1 1/2 hours, and only reads 210* in the side gauge. I have one nipple, and my ball valve wide open, and am using the large bung for exhaust. Shouldnt my temps be higher? I was hoping for better control with this one, as my other one has only one 2 1/4" intake, and one 2 3/4" exhaust. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You had it right the first time LOL!! I like the large hole intake as it is easy to empty the ashes, you can reach in and give the basket a shake and you can quickly ramp up the temps for pizza.

dubster 02-18-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1186285)
You had it right the first time LOL!! I like the large hole intake as it is easy to empty the ashes, you can reach in and give the basket a shake and you can quickly ramp up the temps for pizza.

Except mine goes up the side (another big belly mod). I dont think i have quite enough exhaust on that one to get the proper draft. As for last night i shut it down around 11 and had temps as high as 250*. Ill give it another go maybe Friday or Saturday, and see what happens. Maybe with a fatty:-D

NASCARican 02-18-2010 08:52 AM

try a pipe reducer bushing

dubster 02-18-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NASCARican (Post 1186426)
try a pipe reducer bushing

To make the intake smaller?

BadHorsieBBQ 02-18-2010 09:28 AM

Would oak fire wood be good enough to burn my barrel out with. I am having trouble locating pallets for the task.

porcinepirate 02-18-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblehead (Post 1185633)
Finallly got around to making my drum. I've been reading this thread since it only had about 150 pages and have read all of them since. I've also read every other site I could find, so I didn't really have any questions when I fianlly jumped in. I just wanted a simple, decent looking drum that was easy to operate. Anyway, he's the final product.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/f60ffef2.jpg

I realy like the look of your smoke stacks, what are they made from, or where did you get them.

Porcine Pirate

" Pigs are our Tasty Friends "

Boshizzle 02-18-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ (Post 1186476)
Would oak fire wood be good enough to burn my barrel out with. I am having trouble locating pallets for the task.

Oak is good. You just need some hardwood for a nice, hot fire.

BadHorsieBBQ 02-18-2010 09:45 AM

Good I have free access to quite large stash oak and mesquite. i will go and retrieve some on my way to work and do my burn tomorrow night.

Draven Q Smoker 02-18-2010 09:59 AM

Haven't been around in a while, but I've got my second cook going right now. Two butts and a brisket over hickory with mesquite chips.

h20loo 02-18-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubster (Post 1186421)
Except mine goes up the side (another big belly mod). I dont think i have quite enough exhaust on that one to get the proper draft. :-D

What you will find with UDS builds is that you don't have enough air flow at low temps to allow draft action like on a fireplace etc. A UDS is a demonstration of convection with an air exchange. That's why some builds just have a bunch of 1/2" holes around the lid and work fine. A stack on the UDS is all cosmetic and this can be proven by stabilizing a UDS at temp and then unscrewing or removing the stack- no decrease in temp of the UDS. I have had as much as 12' of 6" exhaust with no effect.
I have experimented with the high intake and found two things.
Every 90 bend and length of pipe requires more diameter to achieve the same airflow at the bottom of the barrel. While not scientific in my approach I found that a 1" intake hole flowed the same as an extended 1 1/2" intake with a 90 and 20" of pipe.
The 2nd thing I found was that the closer I raised the intake opening to the top edge(lid) of the barrel, the more difficult it was to control the temp or make minor adjustments. Also, I found that gusting breezes caused me heartburn. A finickety barrel is no fun.
From all of my experimenting I now go with a 2" ID exhaust and a 2" intake with my favorite control being the Primo or BGE slider style system. The next one I do will be a BGE slide turned 90 degrees and attach a control cable (lawnmower throttle) to the top of the barrel ala fat man mode. The guys with their little pipes hanging out around the barrel are novice builders who have something that may work but they don't know why. It was interesting to see Myrons intake on his trash can and I'm sure this will catch on like his muff tins. The reason he has this single intake is because it works and he has had the boys experiment to find this.
Back to work LOL...

h20loo 02-18-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ (Post 1186505)
Good I have free access to quite large stash oak and mesquite. i will go and retrieve some on my way to work and do my burn tomorrow night.

Adding air from an air compressor or a vacuum is fun. I have a 3' steel extension on my blowgun and I stick that in the intake. It is easy to "rosey up" any stubborn spots. Oh hell- its just fun!! Many times the burn leaves the bottom untouched. Make sure you get to it while you have the fire going.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-18-2010 12:26 PM

I just finished building a new charcoal basket from 3/4" x #9 expanded metal .
The grate is an 18 1/2" WSM charcoal grate with three 1 1/2" x 1/2 bolt legs.
Neither basket is attached. They both sit on the grate between the bolts and the outer ring.

For shorter cooks I use the 4 3/4" high charcoal ring from the WSM.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/4WSMRing.jpg

For longer cooks I will use the 8 1/4" high expanded metal version.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...ke/4Basket.jpg

The original post of the build is #5041

For anyone interested there is also separate thread on this build
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78156

NoviceBBQmovinUp 02-18-2010 03:11 PM

New to the build and i am about 80% done with gathering up all the parts i need. But have a few problems. Yes i have read the entire thread.

1. I bought a long stem thermometer from WalMart and tested the accuracy. its way off. So i know alot of you like a particular long stem thermometer can someone let me know where i can get one, i live in AZ so it might have to be an online order.

2. I am going to do the magnet route, i want to drill three holes, where one will be a ball valve, for the two holes that will be covered by magnets i cant decide between 1 inch holes or 3/4 holes.

Hey thanks in advance everyone. Ill be posting pictures as soon as i get all my supplies and all questions i need answered.

Draven Q Smoker 02-18-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp (Post 1186903)
New to the build and i am about 80% done with gathering up all the parts i need. But have a few problems. Yes i have read the entire thread.

1. I bought a long stem thermometer from WalMart and tested the accuracy. its way off. So i know alot of you like a particular long stem thermometer can someone let me know where i can get one, i live in AZ so it might have to be an online order.

2. I am going to do the magnet route, i want to drill three holes, where one will be a ball valve, for the two holes that will be covered by magnets i cant decide between 1 inch holes or 3/4 holes.

Congratulations on your first build. Finished mine in October, and I'm doing my second cook right now.

I bought my thermometer off of Amazon, I forget what the price was, but it's an actual barbeque thermometer. Works great.

I'd probably go with the 3/4 inch holes. When installing the nipples I used one inch nipples, which provides three-quarter inch intake.

Happy smoking!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-18-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp (Post 1186903)

The 12" one is able to be re-calibrated.
http://www.teltru.com/s-44-food-service.aspx

h20loo 02-18-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draven Q Smoker (Post 1186930)
Congratulations on your first build. Finished mine in October, and I'm doing my second cook right now.

I bought my thermometer off of Amazon, I forget what the price was, but it's an actual barbeque thermometer. Works great.

I'd probably go with the 3/4 inch holes. When installing the nipples I used one inch nipples, which provides three-quarter inch intake.

Happy smoking!

It doesn't matter how big the hole is- it only matters how much is open. If you are doing Wi. winter smoking then you need more intake. I would do a 2" intake and cover it with a magnet. A 2" hole will allow you to reach in(with a poker) and give your basket a shake in those overnight smokes without opening the lid. It should also allow you to do pizza at high heats. The Walmart thermos are secured by a nut. Turn the round part until you have the proper 212 degrees. Double check it at room temp.

Smoothsmoke 02-18-2010 08:05 PM

I can get some brand new 55 gallon drums, that have a removable lid for 40 bucks. How much more would it cost to build my own??

http://images.craigslist.org/3n83k03...6ab54a1ed1.jpg

Draven Q Smoker 02-18-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1187079)
It doesn't matter how big the hole is- it only matters how much is open. If you are doing Wi. winter smoking then you need more intake. I would do a 2" intake and cover it with a magnet. A 2" hole will allow you to reach in(with a poker) and give your basket a shake in those overnight smokes without opening the lid. It should also allow you to do pizza at high heats. The Walmart thermos are secured by a nut. Turn the round part until you have the proper 212 degrees. Double check it at room temp.

*shrug* I was just sharing what works for me.

Draven Q Smoker 02-18-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1187079)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitBully (Post 1187207)
I can get some brand new 55 gallon drums, that have a removable lid for 40 bucks. How much more would it cost to build my own??

Depends. When I built mine, I had to buy all the tools (hole saw, various drill bits and whatnot). It also depends on whether or not you're cannibalizing other parts (I also bought the grates) or can get things either cheaply or free.. The hardware itself? A lot also depends on what design you'll be using. Some make the holes and use magnets, others use nipples, caps, and a ball-valve.

sdb25 02-18-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Try this guy instead. Only $15 dollars and you get a choice of color.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...604438483.html

dubster 02-18-2010 11:03 PM

And here is a pic of my new drum. this is the only pic as when assembly was done i used the too much beer mod:roll:

Boshizzle 02-18-2010 11:06 PM

Nice UDS build, dubster!

dubster 02-18-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1187364)
Nice UDS build, dubster!

Thanks! I will be doin a couple of fattys on her tomorrow evening. Will be posting some pron in my thread on them. Should be wonderful!

sdb25 02-18-2010 11:13 PM

Lovely! Uh, I mean UGLY!

dsmith27 02-18-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblehead (Post 1185633)
Finallly got around to making my drum. I've been reading this thread since it only had about 150 pages and have read all of them since. I've also read every other site I could find, so I didn't really have any questions when I fianlly jumped in. I just wanted a simple, decent looking drum that was easy to operate. Anyway, he's the final product.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/f60ffef2.jpg

Loaded up with 20 lbs of butt.
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/a280b7b6.jpg

Flipped half way through.
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/0de74b14.jpg

Pulled and ready to eat!!!
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/fb1414d8.jpg

If you are looking to build one and have trouble locating expanded metal, Go to the closet organizer section in Home Depot and pick up one of these (11 bucks) it measures 16"x16" and is 10" deep. Just have to burn off the paint.
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/e5b5722c.jpg

I realized I had galvanized washers and replaced them prior to use.

Hey i REALLY like those smoke stacks..where did you get those or how did you make them? thanks

NoviceBBQmovinUp 02-18-2010 11:23 PM

So where can i find some expanded metal that is not 24x12 or 24x24 like at the lowes and HD by my house. Is there a place i can get to cut me a piece that is about 8x45. please chime in and tell me how you all got your larger pieces of expanded metal and what guage you picked that was not to weak but was still able to bend it into a circle. thanks!!!

Meat Burner 02-18-2010 11:50 PM

Novice, check out one of your local metal fabrication shops. They usually have 6 to 8 inch x 48 inch cut offs that are real cheap and the perfect length. And, they are much much heavier metal. I get them around here for free to maybe $6.00. If you get it free, take them a few fatties for lunch break one day and then the cut offs will always be free.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-19-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp (Post 1187384)
So where can i find some expanded metal that is not 24x12 or 24x24 like at the lowes and HD by my house. Is there a place i can get to cut me a piece that is about 8x45. please chime in and tell me how you all got your larger pieces of expanded metal and what guage you picked that was not to weak but was still able to bend it into a circle. thanks!!!

I used Norco's suggested 3/4" x #9 expanded metal. I got a 3' x 4' drop for $21. It is easy to cut on a bench saw with a metal blade. It is pretty stiff to bend into a circle, but it can be done with a little effort.

If you cut it 8 1/4" wide you will be right in the middle of the joint between the diamonds so you won't end up with unclosed diamonds and therefore ragged edges.

caliking 02-19-2010 09:59 AM

Lowe's or HD around here do not carry expanded metal. I was able to get mine from a steel mill locally. They must get a lot of calls, because when you walk in to their sales office, there is a big stack of precut expanded steel labeled for BBQ use:-D

I was able to easily cut mine with an angle grinder and appropriate disc. I found that expanded metal is much easier to bend when it is 60* outside vs when it is 30* outside. Which suggests that if you run a hair dryer over the expanded metal for a little bit, it might be a little easier to bend.

dubster 02-19-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 1187705)
If you cut it 8 1/4" wide you will be right in the middle of the joint between the diamonds so you won't end up with unclosed diamonds and therefore ragged edges.

If you put the ragged edges on the bottom it wont matter, and you wont filet yourself when playin' with your basket:wink:

Stef 02-19-2010 10:23 AM

For those who can't get it locally, you can buy 12" x 48" sections if expanded metal from Yale Steel.

5laps2many 02-19-2010 11:03 AM

Schweet lookin UDS's Pit boss. So, who's the lucky recipient of the other one?

Smoothsmoke 02-19-2010 12:06 PM

Man this thread is loooong, Just read the first 50 pages and still have over 300 to go!!

Skidder 02-19-2010 12:25 PM

I'm thinking the world was ready for a homemade pit that could be made on the cheap and works. Three quarters of a million hits sure proves it.

suprfast 02-19-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Im not sure if you contacted me about Greif. It cost me maybe 150.00 with the price of the brand new drum for all parts. Expanded metal, weber grate, and ball valve were the expensive pieces. I also splurged on some good high temp paint.
Any questions let me know
kris

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-19-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitBully (Post 1187873)
Man this thread is loooong, Just read the first 50 pages and still have over 300 to go!!

Take notes with post numbers or bookmark them for anything you think you might want to find again.

EatRBBQ 02-19-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepheneleven (Post 1182802)
OK, I'm gonna look thru this thread more thoroughly but in the mean time does anyone have any advice for finding a drum around town besides Craigslist? Like a business or any other kinds of places that typically have leftover drums that would be usuable, or maybe a place online? I dont need it be free or even that dirt cheap but less than $100 shipped at the very least otherwise it starts to defeat the purpose cost wise. I found this but it's over $150 w/shipping. Any advice?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...drum-open-head

Stepheneleven, I sent you a private message but didn't hear back from you. If you're even remotely considering spending $150.00 on a drum, please check your PMs and or look at this thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78492

The guy I get my drums from is about midway between Milwaukee and Madison. $15.00 each non-lined, smooth sided, one use 55 gallon drum, with lid and clamp ring.

Anyone local to northern IL or Wisconsin feel free to PM for contact info.

Pit Boss Honeycutt 02-19-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5laps2many (Post 1187799)
Schweet lookin UDS's Pit boss. So, who's the lucky recipient of the other one?

Thanks Man!.. Actually for a friend of mine that I work with.. Think he will like it?:rolleyes:

NASCARican 02-20-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentb (Post 964524)
Wow, this is the mother of all threads!

Took me a month to read this thing. UDS 1 is built and smoking a brisket right now. Just got the rest of my baskets from the welder for the fleet.

Note to those about to build. KISS, KISS, KISS. Get a simple one working first. Leave the bells and whistles for the subsequent builds.

Thanks for all the great posts. The BBQ that this drum makes is out of this world.

What's the dimensions on your baskets....They look awesome!

brotherbd 02-20-2010 08:24 AM

Charcoal Basket building without SS legs

Hey Norco,
(or anyone else that may have comparison experience, it's just that Norco has made so dang many!)

Thanks for the tips and the video on the charcoal basket, but I got another question for ya.

I see that you have overlap when creating you basket and all you have to do is roll and bolt or weld bottom grate and side seam.

Here's the question,

Have you ever made the basket taller so that the grate could be inside 2 1/2" to 3" off the bottom and then welded, wired or SS zip tied into place?

Seems you could save the cost of the SS nuts, bolts and washers (about $8-10 here in Dallas, TX area). I know there would be a little more cost per expanded metal piece 'cause you'd be doing something like 11 or 12 in. vs. 8 but that SS stuff aint cheap.

Just wondering if you've tried it that way and decided that nuts and bolts are the better way to go.

brotherbd

h20loo 02-20-2010 09:06 AM

brotherbd that has been done many times and is reported to work well.

JD McGee 02-20-2010 10:24 AM

UDS Vent III...

Here's my latest and greatest sliding air vent design...:cool: I also plan to use it on my SouthPaw Smoker (in the design stages)...

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/P1010707.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/P1010705.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/P1010706.jpg

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-20-2010 01:54 PM

JD, that looks very good.

Have you thought of making the piece with the holes in it slide too -- sorta like the BGE spark screen. That would let you fully open it to clean out ashes and tap the fire basket. Just a thought.:biggrin:

Boshizzle 02-20-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 1188837)
Here's my latest and greatest sliding air vent design...:cool: I also plan to use it on my SouthPaw Smoker (in the design stages)...

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/P1010707.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/P1010705.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/P1010706.jpg

Looks good! I was going to go with something similar but got a good deal on a BGE vent so that's what I'm going with on my 1st UDS. The holes work just as well as a rectangle cut but provides more strength and rigidity to the frame.

armor 02-20-2010 03:26 PM

Nice. I used the BGE vent on one of my drums but I like the looks of this. Planning on another build over the summer and I will copy this if you don't mind.

h20loo 02-21-2010 07:46 AM

Holy smoke-Looks good JD. I made a batch of BGE style vents on Thursday and will try them next week. That makes so much more sense then having little taps and nipples hanging off a barrel. Your design will add some bling to the lowly UDS!! What gauge did you use?

JD McGee 02-21-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 1189068)
JD, that looks very good.

Have you thought of making the piece with the holes in it slide too -- sorta like the BGE spark screen. That would let you fully open it to clean out ashes and tap the fire basket. Just a thought.:biggrin:

Yep...I thought of that but wanted to keep it simple and not copy BGE too much...this will be used on my SouthPaw Smoker as well (in design). I can still get a wiggle rod in through the 3/4 holes to shake down the basket if need be...:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by armor (Post 1189205)
Nice. I used the BGE vent on one of my drums but I like the looks of this. Planning on another build over the summer and I will copy this if you don't mind.

Copy away brother smoker...:wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1189942)
Holy smoke-Looks good JD. I made a batch of BGE style vents on Thursday and will try them next week. That makes so much more sense then having little taps and nipples hanging off a barrel. Your design will add some bling to the lowly UDS!! What gauge did you use?

These were made out of some 28 gauge stainless that was laying around the shop...I'll be making them out of 16 gauge for the SouthPaw Smoker as it will not have to be rolled to fit a drum radius.