The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

ShrediMaster 12-06-2009 01:45 PM

It's a cooking method = 3 hours to cook, 2 hours to cook wrapped in foil, 1 hour to finish... This is the simple version... There's info on the all over the internet.

Pole D 12-10-2009 05:04 PM

Having a hard time getting my drum clean. Burned it twice to the point that it was glowing on the outside. I can still see the $%# red lining on about 50% of the inside.

Has anyone tried using a water soluble remover? Also thinking about taking a weed burner to it.

Thanks for any help.

Typically 12-11-2009 08:38 AM

did you drill the intake holes already? that'll help get that fire really roaring

Uncle Buds BBQ 12-11-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pole D (Post 1108930)
Also thinking about taking a weed burner to it.

When I tried the ol' weed burner the flame kept going out due to lack of O2 inside the drum. I ended up paying a guy $20 to sand blast it.

IronStomach 12-11-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typically (Post 1109535)
did you drill the intake holes already? that'll help get that fire really roaring

Yeah, was wondering about that... if the intake holes on the bottom aren't there yet, the fire will be going up and not down -- fire feeds, it needs oxygen, no oxygen in one direction, no fire movement.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ 12-11-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronStomach (Post 1109572)
Yeah, was wondering about that... if the intake holes on the bottom aren't there yet, the fire will be going up and not down -- fire feeds, it needs oxygen, no oxygen in one direction, no fire movement.

I lit my fire with out drilling the holes....top of the drum is ready to go, bottom, still has the paint on it. I drilled the holes and I am going to burn again tonight after work. Then, my buddy is going to sand blast it for me. I will be doing a test run tomorrow, shoulder on Sunday.

sfbbqguy 12-11-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ (Post 1109564)
When I tried the ol' weed burner the flame kept going out due to lack of O2 inside the drum. I ended up paying a guy $20 to sand blast it.

$20 well spent there! Most guys who use the weed burner do it from the outside but for $20 you can't go wrong with a sand blast.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ 12-11-2009 09:48 AM

OK, I have a question about your charcoal baskets.

My expando steel cube is the same on each size. I mean, I have noticed some charcoal baskets have wider spaced expando on the bottom then on the sides. I was thinking of just putting the same spacing expando on the bottom...is that OK?

I dont want to go buy another sheet of expando when I already bought one if I can get away with it.

I was thinking of going to my BBQ boneyard and using an old grate for the bottom? that might work as well, if i couldnt use the same expando I had been using.

Thanks!

Paul B 12-11-2009 09:52 AM

Just makes it eaiser for the ash to drop to the bottom. Otherwise you may have to bang the drum more often!!

Paul B

HumboldtSmokeBBQ 12-11-2009 10:07 AM

ok, If I bang the drum, will my food get covered in ash? if i use an old grate attached to my expando, will i go through more coals cause they are falling through as they get smaller??

T.R. 12-11-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ (Post 1109564)

That's an excellent price. I paid twice that to get my drum sandblasted.

Stef 12-11-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 1109593)
$20 well spent there! Most guys who use the weed burner do it from the outside but for $20 you can't go wrong with a sand blast.

No kidding, that's a deal. I had a guy quote me $130 to blast a drum. I declined his generous offer.

Paul B 12-11-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtSmokeBBQ (Post 1109644)
ok, If I bang the drum, will my food get covered in ash? if i use an old grate attached to my expando, will i go through more coals cause they are falling through as they get smaller??

No..

Probably not, when they get small they are probably spent anyway.

Paul B

h20loo 12-11-2009 01:33 PM

Here's four tips for burning out a drum.
1. Use hardwood only- it burns hot, doesn't leave a sappy film and smells good.
2. The barrel doesn't have to be upright- it can be on its side and roll it
3. My favorite is to throw the barrels in a big ass brush fire- if you can get near it then its not big enough.
4. If burning near a shop with a compressor, then use a long nozzle air gun and help the fire where you need to- like a black smith. You can cherry any spot!

skid 12-11-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pole D (Post 1108930)
Having a hard time getting my drum clean. Burned it twice to the point that it was glowing on the outside. I can still see the $%# red lining on about 50% of the inside.

Has anyone tried using a water soluble remover? Also thinking about taking a weed burner to it.

Thanks for any help.

Burned mine three times and still had signs of the liner. Then it was wire wheel and sanding time.