The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Czarbecue 01-22-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinds15 (Post 3938498)
I have some weber legs left from another build and wondering if I can make them work.

Edit: just the axle and wheels

I know my 110 gallon build is a lot heavier but that looks like a coat hanger on top of a drum :heh:

Hinds15 01-23-2018 08:44 AM

It's feels sturdy enough to me. Will probably be adding some angle iron like the hunsaker.

el luchador 01-23-2018 08:38 PM

oh yeah.

Had the macro damper printed for my heater meter. this thing is massive. Im not even sure how Im going to attach it to the uds as it has a 3" outlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgzM0iZ-IUM

http://i.imgur.com/CW6AubF.jpg

Blue Kettle 01-23-2018 10:03 PM

Why is it you seldom see food grade 30 gallon drums? I want to do build a UDS but I really think 55 gallon might be overkill for my situation.

el luchador 01-23-2018 10:32 PM

Why do you say the 55 gallon may be overkill?

Blue Kettle 01-23-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3939150)
Why do you say the 55 gallon may be overkill?

Space constraints in terms of where to store it, lack of need for additional cooking capacity over the smaller drum.

Czarbecue 01-24-2018 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Kettle (Post 3939132)
Why is it you seldom see food grade 30 gallon drums? I want to do build a UDS but I really think 55 gallon might be overkill for my situation.

Grainger sells unlined drums for $129. Stainless steel for over $700. Unless you’re talking about Craigslist...

Nuco59 01-24-2018 04:16 AM

30 gallon drums are not a common. 30 gallon drums with an open head- less so.

Do the 55 - it's really not that much bigger. They are easier to find, cheaper to buy and you don't have to use the extra grate space if you don't want to.

Don't do "food grade" - go "unlined". If it has a phenolic liner, you'll need 2 or 3 good fires plus some heavy steel brush work OR a friend with a sand blaster to get it all gone.

el luchador 01-24-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Kettle (Post 3939155)
Space constraints in terms of where to store it, lack of need for additional cooking capacity over the smaller drum.

I understand that.
Think about this. The uds cousin the pbc I understand is 30 gallons. They have to hang the larger meats.

The 22" diameter is just about enough to lay the larger cuts of brisket or ribs.
Get the 30 but you may have to hang, fold or bend some longer pieces of meat

Blue Kettle 01-24-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3939197)
I understand that.
Think about this. The uds cousin the pbc I understand is 30 gallons. They have to hang the larger meats.

The 22" diameter is just about enough to lay the larger cuts of brisket or ribs.
Get the 30 but you may have to hang, fold or bend some longer pieces of meat

That's a good point. Actually, more I think about it maybe the space constraint wouldn't be that bad. I've already got a 22" kettle out on the patio and this would be a similar footprint.

Blue Kettle 01-24-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuco59 (Post 3939181)
30 gallon drums are not a common. 30 gallon drums with an open head- less so.

Do the 55 - it's really not that much bigger. They are easier to find, cheaper to buy and you don't have to use the extra grate space if you don't want to.

Don't do "food grade" - go "unlined". If it has a phenolic liner, you'll need 2 or 3 good fires plus some heavy steel brush work OR a friend with a sand blaster to get it all gone.

Is a propane weed burner not sufficient to get the job done of removing all of that at once? (Plus some wire brush after the fact to remove the remnants?)

el luchador 01-24-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Kettle (Post 3939208)
That's a good point. Actually, more I think about it maybe the space constraint wouldn't be that bad. I've already got a 22" kettle out on the patio and this would be a similar footprint.

plus, you can grill on the uds and get rid of the kettle if you wanted to

OR, you could just smoke on the kettle and forego the uds altogether. only thing is you wont get the fat dripping flavor(my favorite) but the kettle still puts out some GREAT Q

Hinds15 01-24-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Kettle (Post 3939214)
Is a propane weed burner not sufficient to get the job done of removing all of that at once? (Plus some wire brush after the fact to remove the remnants?)

Curious about this also. My drum had coconut oil in it and is unlined. I know a lot of people say it has rust inhibitor but to the touch it feels like metal and even sanding a small part its only metal.

I want to leave the paint that's on the outside too but that seems to be a questionable thing for UDS builds also.

DRMSMKER 01-24-2018 11:29 AM

The rust inhibitor is a coating or film that can be washed out with soap/water and a rag. its not the same has the thick solid liners in some barrels. Then you wipe down with vegi oil or pam and season.

Hinds15 01-24-2018 11:40 AM

Ah so most likely mine wouldn't have had it since the coconut oil would have kept the drum from rusting?