The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

coewar 04-28-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpenick (Post 2015886)
Fired up my brand new UDS today, and I just could NOT control the temperature while using natural oak lump. I ended up opening all the valves and letting it burn hot and quick, then using briquettes instead and those worked wonderfully. Did a couple of fatties and a rack of St. Louis spare ribs. Turned out great. I was very discouraged after the lump temps went crazy, but now I'm doubly excited as the results speak for themselves.

I had exact same result with lump coals. Plus also a nasty smelling smoke because I didn't let it burn long enough or whatever. Plain natural charcoal works great, with some wood chunks for the flavoring.

I can run the UDS at 225 for a good 15 hours.. sometimes 20.

coewar 04-28-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dae06 (Post 2021313)
Now you tell me. :twitch::becky:, I just ordered the iOue 110. Mainly because my off-set smoker really needs it, but after my UDS build I think I'll be selling the off-set.

Here's my build:
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...6/TwinsUDS.jpg

offset smokers make pretty good grills though. Maybe remove the firebox to shorten it. The UDS is so-so at grilling when you want to do that some times. So can keep it to grill.. they are good for that because they can get really hot and let you have a hot and warmer side if you put the coals on one side.

coewar 04-28-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chico4missions (Post 2031403)
I've seen quite a few baskets (Klose) like this out there & thought it'd be cool to add that mod to mine. Had some scrap metal laying around at work & was able to use the plasma cutter to cut the lengths down to 9". My basket is 12" x 12" x 12".

I'll probably add slots in my basket for them to sit in so I can add & remove at will. As of now they're just sitting pretty for the pic :mrgreen: Regular "old school" minion method works great for me but I'm definitely curious to see the results.

LOW & SLOW BABY! Thanks for all the info on this thread fellow drumheads!

hey.. so that design is great because it essentially gives you a sort of clock. So if you light the coals just on one of the ends, it'll burn slowly and "move" through your maze. You can then put wood chunks along the way to have it smoke up at different times.

stile1121 04-29-2012 10:26 AM

Here we go....

Alright guys, I've been a lurker for a while and finally couldn't take it any longer....I want to smoke something! Just started work on my first UDS....will keep you posted. I can't wait until the test run!

http://blueberrybutton.smugmug.com/O...18-50617-L.jpg

N8man 04-29-2012 06:42 PM

Glamor Shot!!!

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...ll_DrumPit.jpg

hewittdallas 04-29-2012 11:13 PM

For anyone dealing with the red liners, you can get rid of them pretty easy with one good burn and a good scrubbing with Comet. I was skeptical at first, but the red liner just disappears. It's much nicer than having to sandblast or wire wheel it for hours. Just thought I would pass it along.

chico4missions 05-01-2012 03:24 PM

Just scored 2 free unlined drums... here's the irony of it all. I got them at a Sandblast shop! One is for me (4th UDS) & the other will be USC Trojan themed for a buddy. Will post pics soon

eddytheflow 05-02-2012 08:16 AM

6 Attachment(s)
New to smokin' but finally finished the first build!

Started with an unlined drum, burnt out & scrubbed. Sprayed a coat of paint on, yada yada yada. Pictures :mrgreen:

Oh and the beaners attached to the handle of the drum allow me to hang the coal box upside down by the eye-hooks and grill (in theory anyways, I haven't yet tried it..).

Attachment 63972

Attachment 63973

Attachment 63974

Attachment 63975

Attachment 63976

Attachment 63977

daninnewjersey 05-02-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Ropo (Post 2031314)
I had a crush on a girl that lived down the street from me. You know how it is as a young boy. I tried to throw rocks at her first but missed. So that was the next logical step in an attempt to get her attention.
Probably too much info?

That is some funny sh*t....and as a former 8th grade boy myself I see it as very logical.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

razrbakcrzy 05-02-2012 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=eddytheflow;2039171]Oh and the beaners attached to the handle of the drum allow me to hang the coal box upside down by the eye-hooks and grill (in theory anyways, I haven't yet tried it..).

QUOTE]

Yep that will work I have done it I have (2) S hooks permanetly attached to my lower rack and I hang the handle of my coal basket from them to get the basket about 8" from my grill bottom. I move the bottom rack to the top and use it just like a charcoal grill. cooks steaks @ 500° like a champ...

chico4missions 05-02-2012 08:38 AM

Nice work eddytheflow. You'll be hooked for sure! :clap:

eddytheflow 05-02-2012 10:11 AM

Thanks guys, I'll have to take more pictures when I put the grill setup to the test!

I guess the common consensus is anywhere between 5"-8" distance from the bottom of the charcoal basket to the grill eh?

Can't wait to get my hands on a weber lid so I can add the double rack.

okiereddirt 05-03-2012 04:43 PM

What is the largest amount of butts you would dare to put on a UDS with just the 2 racks? I have a cook on the 9th of June for my company open house and am planning on pulled pork sandwiches. This weekend will be the maiden smoke on my UDS:pray:

El Ropo 05-03-2012 07:27 PM

I personally wouldn't do more than 6 large butts, 3 on each grate. or 8 smaller butts, 4 on each grate.

And I would definitely do it with my foil wrapped clay saucer diffuser. When all that meat starts rendering, it'll just about put out the fire. The clay saucer will catch most of the drippings, and keep the fire going clean and strong.

Nugget 05-03-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddytheflow (Post 2039171)
new to smokin' but finally finished the first build!

Started with an unlined drum, burnt out & scrubbed. Sprayed a coat of paint on, yada yada yada. Pictures :mrgreen:

Oh and the beaners attached to the handle of the drum allow me to hang the coal box upside down by the eye-hooks and grill (in theory anyways, i haven't yet tried it..).

Attachment 63972

Attachment 63973

Attachment 63974

Attachment 63975

Attachment 63976

Attachment 63977

that looks delish :)