The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Toploader 09-16-2009 11:24 PM

Sizzlepig, your probly ok as its not touching any food and nowhere near the 420 degree melting point of the zinc. I went down to the local muffler shop and got some scrap tube for free(guy was nice enough after i told him what it was for.)...I was gonna do the same thing but opted not to have anything galvy on the uds.

h20loo 09-17-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizzlepig (Post 1028577)
Well, I will be starting the build on my first UDS tomorrow. This has become such an addiction that I'm afraid that it will not stop with just one. I will take pics as I go and post them on here. One question. I know that I should not use galvanized parts inside this thing but is a galvanized smoke stack ok? The temps at the exaust end should not be hot enough to cause problems, right? Thanks in advance and thanks for such a great forum.
Sizzlepig.

The stack isn't in the UDS so I think your worrying about nothing. Look at Bubba who has built many and uses plastic drain pipe. I have two to build on Saturday and I'm going to use plastic on them. I like the idea of being able to unscrew the stack when I'm covering the UDS for storage.

Mark 09-17-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1026515)
Nice idea about the spikes, but wouldn't they get wobbley after a while pulling them in and out??

I think I'll be going with four for stability, if something can happen it will with me!!:eek:

Remembering back it looks evenly devided between 3 or 4 and u-bolts just add even more holes.......

Scored a cooking grate at K-mart for $5. Just need another one(I'm going for a double grater). Checking on a stainless dommed lid from Arctic grill.

Paul B

Paul: Actually, the spikes get tighter due to soot buildup.

I also lookied into an Artic stainless steel lid. I recall they quoted me $30 or $40 and another $15 for shipping. They're located in mid MO.

1FUNVET 09-17-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizzlepig (Post 1028577)
Well, I will be starting the build on my first UDS tomorrow. This has become such an addiction that I'm afraid that it will not stop with just one. I will take pics as I go and post them on here. One question. I know that I should not use galvanized parts inside this thing but is a galvanized smoke stack ok? The temps at the exaust end should not be hot enough to cause problems, right? Thanks in advance and thanks for such a great forum.
Sizzlepig.

I used 2" PVC on mine and painted it to match the purple and yellow on the drum( LSU)

N8man 09-17-2009 04:25 PM

Speaking of PVC pipe, is there a danger of chemicals leaching out from the Pipe as it is heated from the Hot Exhaust?
Just Wondering???

Paul B 09-17-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1029026)
Paul: Actually, the spikes get tighter due to soot buildup.

I also lookied into an Artic stainless steel lid. I recall they quoted me $30 or $40 and another $15 for shipping. They're located in mid MO.

Ya, $27 plus shipping. Got tired of trying to find a domed lid cheap. But, my UDS is a $5 garage sale score. Oh did I mention it is SS!! I'm working toward an all SS set up. Have even found a SS fishing rod holder at a garage sale for $1.00 to hold my Mary Poppins rain top :biggrin:. If my neighbor gets off his butt and brings home some expanded SS metal for my fuel holder it will be totally SS.

SS top should be here sometime next week.

Paul B

Bbq Bubba 09-17-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 1029218)
Speaking of PVC pipe, is there a danger of chemicals leaching out from the Pipe as it is heated from the Hot Exhaust?
Just Wondering???

May explain my behavior the last couple of years......

No.

Sizzlepig 09-17-2009 10:39 PM

Started My Build (With Pron)

10 Attachment(s)
I dont have a welder so I had to improvise on my charcoal basket. Thank God for stainless steel zip ties. I was able to get to the point where I painted my finished drum and my basket. I will put all of the parts on tomorrow or this weekend. I need to figure out a lid. I do have a doner Weber but of course the drum is slightly larger so I will have to do some bending of the lip. I will post more pics as I complete this project. Thanks again for this site and all of the great info for this build.

Skidder 09-18-2009 07:33 AM

Lookin good so far.

1FUNVET 09-18-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1029390)
Ya, $27 plus shipping. Got tired of trying to find a domed lid cheap. But, my UDS is a $5 garage sale score. Oh did I mention it is SS!! I'm working toward an all SS set up. Have even found a SS fishing rod holder at a garage sale for $1.00 to hold my Mary Poppins rain top :biggrin:. If my neighbor gets off his butt and brings home some expanded SS metal for my fuel holder it will be totally SS.

Paul B

Website for Artic?

Babyboomerboy 09-18-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1029390)

Paul B

Paul, could you put up a pic of the lid when you get it and the address info? I live in Kansas so the shipping shouldn't be to bad. Thanks

Rich Parker 09-18-2009 07:49 PM

Nice cooker sizzlepig!

I have never heard of stainless steel zip ties.

Paul B 09-18-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1029762)
Website for Artic?

www.arcticproducts.com

Paul B

Paul B 09-18-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babyboomerboy (Post 1029807)
Paul, could you put up a pic of the lid when you get it and the address info? I live in Kansas so the shipping shouldn't be to bad. Thanks

Will do... www.arcticproducts.com

Paul B

Sizzlepig 09-19-2009 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rich Parker, Home Depot has the SS zip ties in the electrical section. I will see how they hold up. Here is a pic of the finished UDS during the seasoning burn. I still have to install the handles and the bottle opener.