The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

jswordy 09-11-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 1023755)
I use three U bolts and it is solid.

Used 3 1/4" x 2" bolts, worked fine, nice and solid. Do use 3 instead of 4. If your hole gets off a tad using 4, the grate could wobble. 3 eliminates that.

Smokin' D 09-11-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswordy (Post 1023759)
Do use 3 instead of 4. If your hole gets off a tad using 4, the grate could wobble. 3 eliminates that.

\\

Yep. That's why your camera sits on a tripod instead of a quadpod.

chickenskinmusic 09-11-2009 08:08 PM

Usd

Anyone have recommendations for a ROTISSERIE to mount on a USD?

zopi 09-12-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickenskinmusic (Post 1023916)
Anyone have recommendations for a ROTISSERIE to mount on a USD?

Yeah...mount rotisserie motor above a drum cover, with a bicycle chain fed through a small hole in the cover and sealed over with silicon rubber from a hot pad or something, bicycle chain turns skewer which hangs under the cover...weld feet to the top of the cover, so you can remove the cover and flip it over to work on the meat...could maybe make a hatch in the top whic can be popped open to baste/mop...Personally I wouldn't bother...Don't mess with simplicity...don't believe me?I give you our government...

smoke it if ya got it 09-14-2009 10:38 AM

I've made my air holes right at the bottem of the UDS so all I do is dribble a little water in and swoosh it around and out comes the ash of course I also have a tightly woven charcoal holder so I dont lose much ash into the bottem of the cooker anyway unless I jerk it around or bump it on one of the bolts that hold up the grills.

jerrykr 09-14-2009 12:08 PM

I added a rotisserie to mine.

http://uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/2...otisserie.html

I got it at Home Depot.

Comes in handy at times.

Jerry

Mark 09-14-2009 01:51 PM

Mine's like Jerry's, except it's attached to an extensinon ring made from a segment of another drum rather than the main drum.

BTW Jerry: kudos on your blog!

Mark 09-14-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1023131)
Getting real close to starting the build.

What is the consensus on supports for the grates?? Three or four?? I'm planning on doing two grates in my tin can. Can't find a cheapie domed lid so I will probably order a SS domed lid over the i-net.

Thanks,

Paul B
YES, I have read the whole thread!!

Paul:

As you see in the pic below, I use 4 landscape timber spikes for my top grate. These can wobble a bit but that's the whole purpose because it makes the grate self leveling.

The grate below that is suspended on 3 bolts. Why not spikes and why not 4? No special reason.

Skidder 09-14-2009 03:30 PM

I just threw my Weber rotisserie on top of mine and add a woodstove gasket around the ring. Works great.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...cture136-1.jpg

Smokin' D 09-14-2009 05:54 PM

I did the same as Skidder except crumpled some alum. foil around the ring as a gasket.

Bbq Bubba 09-14-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke it if ya got it (Post 1026009)
I've made my air holes right at the bottem of the UDS so all I do is dribble a little water in and swoosh it around and out comes the ash of course I also have a tightly woven charcoal holder so I dont lose much ash into the bottem of the cooker anyway unless I jerk it around or bump it on one of the bolts that hold up the grills.

I forsee you having an ash build up issue.

Ksmoker1 09-14-2009 05:59 PM

Skidder that is a thing of beauty! Hardware store carry to stove gaskets?

Paul B 09-14-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1026209)
Paul:

As you see in the pic below, I use 4 landscape timber spikes for my top grate. These can wobble a bit but that's the whole purpose because it makes the grate self leveling.

The grate below that is suspended on 3 bolts. Why not spikes and why not 4? No special reason.

Nice idea about the spikes, but wouldn't they get wobbley after a while pulling them in and out??

I think I'll be going with four for stability, if something can happen it will with me!!:eek:

Remembering back it looks evenly devided between 3 or 4 and u-bolts just add even more holes.......

Scored a cooking grate at K-mart for $5. Just need another one(I'm going for a double grater). Checking on a stainless dommed lid from Arctic grill.

Paul B

zopi 09-14-2009 07:51 PM

Skidder...That isn't a UDS...it's a PDS...

Needs flames though..too bad you aren't kloser..I'd lay em out for you..

Sizzlepig 09-16-2009 11:00 PM

Well, I will be starting the build on my first UDS tomorrow. This has become such an addiction that I'm afraid that it will not stop with just one. I will take pics as I go and post them on here. One question. I know that I should not use galvanized parts inside this thing but is a galvanized smoke stack ok? The temps at the exaust end should not be hot enough to cause problems, right? Thanks in advance and thanks for such a great forum.
Sizzlepig.