Today's Cook: STLR on the 22-in WSM

DefTaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've had better smoke rings (yes, the smoke ring isn't indicative of anything - but I always feel like I'm "rewarded" when I see a nice smoke ring) but the ribs were fantastic!

The two in the foil pan are unsauced (just nekkid w/rub - Malcolm Reed's Hot BBQ Rub) and the one on the cutting board directly has a little tiger sauce mixed in with some sugar-free hickory bbq sauce.

My wife - who is not a BBQ fan, too messy for her she says - has admitted defeat and raised the white flag as she has proclaimed that I have mastered the St. Louis ribs (perfect 6 for 6 now!) and she has at least converted to a BBQ fan when it comes to the St. Louis ribs!

Now, I have made my own rib rub which was pretty dang tasty (IMO) but this Hot BBQ Rub is just that much better. I've had Famous Dave's Rib Rub which ain't bad but wanted to see what you fellas like for your dry rub? I've seen Plowboys BBQ, Kosmos Q, etc. but wanted to see if you guys have some favorites for ribs -- I'd like to try a couple of different ones...branch out a little. :wink:

I just got me some Harry Soo's Moola Beef Rub so my next brisket is gonna be different from my usual dalmatian rubbed briskets - we'll see how this tastes. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20180915_163200.jpg
    20180915_163200.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180915_162618.jpg
    20180915_162618.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180915_162621.jpg
    20180915_162621.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 189
  • 20180915_162630.jpg
    20180915_162630.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 189
Great looking ribs! I would eat a plate of those any time :thumb:
As for rub, last couple rib cooks I’ve used Blues Hogg rub with fantastic results.

Thanks, Zevon668! Yeah, I've seen mention of Blue Hogs as well. So many good/different ribs I need to try.

I know some inject their meats - usually butts it besides from what I've seen... Haven't tried this yet.

:clap2::clap2::clap2: nicely done!!....and as for rubs, I've found this to be true: so many different rubs, so little time!

I have tried a bunch over the years.

Consider:
Killer Hogs BBQ rub (now that you’ve tried hot)
Kosmos killer bee + dirty bird together
Oakridge Secret Weapon
Simply Marvelous (trinity, sweet seduction, or my favorite “cherry.”)

Great looking ribs. I have been wanting to try some of Malcolm's hot and this post just convinced me to get some ordered. I have been using a recipe I got from Jeff's site along with Slap ya Momma on mine and we relay like it but you know how it it with trying something different. Thanks for posting

I have tried a bunch over the years.

Consider:
Killer Hogs BBQ rub (now that you’ve tried hot)
Kosmos killer bee + dirty bird together
Oakridge Secret Weapon
Simply Marvelous (trinity, sweet seduction, or my favorite “cherry.”)

Thanks, Mike! I do have The BBQ Rub on its way.

I'm still not sure about the whole base coat rub + with different top coat rub. Is it just to get different combos of flavors? Or is there a science to putting down a bottom and then a top rub? Like the first rub is for dry brining?

Top shelf looking ribs. My favorite rib rubs are: TX BBQ Rib Rub, Oakridge Secret Weapon and Killer Hogs Hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top shelf looking ribs. My favorite rib rubs are: TX BBQ Rib Rub, Oakridge Secret Weapon and Killer Hogs Hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yup, this was Killer Hogs HOT BBQ Rub; I've got a bottle of their regular BBQ Rub on the way to try out.

Looks like there's a lot of people that like the Oakridge Secret Weapon <-- I may have to order me some of that. <-- If anyone's doing ribs with Oakridge, post some pix, please! I'd like to see how they come out.

Thanks, Mike! I do have The BBQ Rub on its way.

I'm still not sure about the whole base coat rub + with different top coat rub. Is it just to get different combos of flavors? Or is there a science to putting down a bottom and then a top rub? Like the first rub is for dry brining?

There is no "science" to it per se. It's just what people try and stick with if it turns out well.

I usually put a salt/AP layer first and then my rubs. Some guys put sweet on top the top side of the ribs and hot on the bottom. Some put hot first, then sweet because...it makes sense to them. At the end of the day there is no right or wrong way. If you do 2 racks of ribs, flip the order on the rubs and see if you can tell a difference?

I think you'll like the KH BBQ rub, especially when paired with the hot. The KH rubs offer excellent color. Then again, there are a lot of other rubs (Kosmo's, Simply Marvelous, etc) that do too.

As far as the Oakridge, try their sample pack with free shipping. It's a great way to try out their products and see what you like. Some of the ones I thought I would like, I didn't and vice versa.

We are all learning :grin:

Yup, this was Killer Hogs HOT BBQ Rub; I've got a bottle of their regular BBQ Rub on the way to try out.

Looks like there's a lot of people that like the Oakridge Secret Weapon <-- I may have to order me some of that. <-- If anyone's doing ribs with Oakridge, post some pix, please! I'd like to see how they come out.

Secret Weapon is great. Good on yardbird and ribs as well. In fact I think it’s the best rib for chicken. Get some - you won’t regret it. I like Killer Hogs regular but prefer the Hot. Sometimes mix the two depending on who I’m serving it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Secret Weapon is great. Good on yardbird and ribs as well. In fact I think it’s the best rib for chicken. Get some - you won’t regret it. I like Killer Hogs regular but prefer the Hot. Sometimes mix the two depending on who I’m serving it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed! Secret Weapon is perfect on poultry.

Back