Austin in January

Eckie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've done a search, but all posts i found were a bit dated...

Going to be in Austin for a work trip late January. Travel Monday and Thursday, tied up in meetings tues and wed, have no idea what kind of daily schedule i will have to deal with. But we're thinking about making it a family trip since I've got to go anyway, and we'd probably not get down there any other way. If the fam comes along, I'm thinking we may leave on Sunday.

So, with "limited " time, a 4 year old, and a rental...what are the hotspots now? I would love to do franklin, cause of the experience and all, but dont know if I'll be able to do the line wait. Is it really that 'life changing'? Blacks, la barbeque, Salt Lick, Snows, Muellers, Smittys, Kreuz, Micklethwait, Stiles Switch..... I know not everyone will agree, but what are the must "go to" places these days? And who knows if I'll ever make it to Austin, or this part of Texas again....

All tips are welcome. I know some (most?) Are cash only...? Websites i have looked at show by the pound price...hopefully you don't have to but a full pound? 1/4, 1/2 pound of most meats?

Fire away......

Mods, i this the correct section for this thread? Thanks.

Franklins is really good but with limited time and a young child waiting in line might be difficult. It is the best brisket I've ever had and the pork ribs are great too.

Micklethwait is also very good and hasn't had a long line the times I've been. I know it's about the meats but their sides are really good and unique. I wish I was that creative.

Terry Blacks and Stiles Switch. Solid central texas bbq, usually not crazy busy. They don't really sell out either. Probably a good option for you to get some really good bbq

La Barbecue- Meats are all good, lines been about an hour the times I've been. I'm not a big fan of their sides. I feel like they are a little spicy for most people IMO.

Snow's and Louie Mueller- Both the food is really good and worth the trip. Snows is tricky with their limited hrs though since they open at 8 on Saturday and is about an hr from Austin.

I highly recommend Valentina's. They are unique with their tex mex bbq and using mesquite instead of post oak.

I haven't been to lockhart yet, on my to do list for another trip. hope this helps a little

Blackdog- Thank you for your response, it is very helpful. I think I've heard that at franklin's, a single pers9n can stand in line and the rest of party (wife and child) can show up later? My wife would not complain about sleeping in haha (as long as baby girl let's her). Still, that's a lot of time dedicated to one place...then again may not have the chance again. Wonder if a thurs or friday would be any less crazy line wise?

And if Thursday or Friday at franklins, that would free up saturday for snows. I will definitely drive that far if it's worth it. Here, we have to drive 10-15 miles to any food venue, and 45 minutes plus to any restaurant we really like, so i have no problem driving hour or more to a renowned bbq joint when it may be a once in a life deal...
Plus, i dont really know what else I'd (we'd) do around there!

Do you remember how many are(were) cash only? I try not to use atms, so want to be prepared.

Thanks again for the info and tips. Hopefully some folks who are local to those parts will chime in to anything new in the area that I may need to take into account...

I went this past January to take a class from Dylan Taylor. I took my wife and we turned it into a long weekend. Franklin's was really good, but we got lucky and headed there straight from the airport Friday afternoon and only waited an hour. I recommend Terry Blacks if you don't have time for Franklin's (or even if you do). If you can get away for breakfast, go to Veracruz (permanent food bus in East Austin) and get the migas...so good! Have fun!

Thanks wbratt. What was the deal with that class...i just looked it up. Does he do all the meats listed, or just certain ones/have to pick a couple? Or does price depend on which meats? How long is it?

Terry blacks has beef ribs on the menu... Think i remember seeing/reading that franklin only does beef ribs on a certain day? But dont remember what day. I think its safe to say that Franklin is most known for brisket, so i reckon beef ribs somewhere else if i miss the day would be ok...unless ppl say franklins beef ribs are a must...

Dont think I'd heard of Veracruz, thanks for that. What's a miga?

I'm not hipster enough to wait in line at Franklin's, so can't help you there. Have been to Kreuz & Blacks in Lockhart over the past two years, not really that impressed. Louie Meuller's was really good. A hidden gem I found last year was Cooper's in downtown. Really good. Salt Lick was just OK. Heard Juan in a Million is supposed to be really good. Also heard Banger's Sausage shop is supposed to be really good. Was WAY too crowded when I tried going. No parking anywhere around there and a huge line waiting to get in. That was on a Thursday, which I think is one of their busy days. Not sure how kid friendly it is.

Unlike LYU370 I enjoyed Kreuz. Try their porkchop. Best thing I've ever eaten. I don't remember the rest but the chop was awesome. Smitty's was OK. City Market in Luling was good too as I remember but it was the first of the "real" Texas BBQ joints I tried.

Franklin's is a bucket list thing, but the line is for real, can't imagine attempting with my 8-14yos, so, I ended up at Kerlins, it was really good, definitely not fancy. Got there early and they had kolaches, BBQ stuffed pastry, very good appetizers, then got brisket, it was outstanding.

In Lockhart, I would recommend Kreuz and Blacks, not great, but good. Liked the live music at Kreuz. They were outta brisket, but had beef ribs, ohhh my, tasty! Also went to Smitty's, good food but a total PITA. Meat and sides separate, staff like the soup Nazi. Don't ask questions and just be happy if they give you what you want. Although the open fire was cool, again, maybe not for kids.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Went to Smitty’s a couple years back and it was good, but not great. The pits are cool and the ambience is good. If I had the time, I’d like to try franklins and endure the wait and all that entails...but not with my 8 and 12 yet olds

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can skip the line at Franklin if you pre order online and order at least 5 lbs. I do this and bring freezer bags, but with meat around $22 a lb it will be over $100. Time is money though.

As for me, my favorite place in Austin is Valentina's for brisket tacos! Also can't go wrong with Terry Blacks and Stiles Switch as they have fantastic que and are open in the evenings.

My order
Franklin BBQ - pre order to skip the line - by far the best (but not worth the line on a short trip)
Valentina's - (tacos are the best here but BBQ stands on its own too)
LA BBQ - traditional bbq
Terry Black - traditional bbq
Leroy and Lewis - does different meats. Doesn't always have brisket. Usually has beef cheeks that are amazing
Stiles Switch - traditional bbq
Micklewaithes - traditional bbq (unique sausages)
Kerlin - tradtional bbq
Browns - traditional bbq
Coopers - pork chop and steak here (not a big fan of their brisket)
Slab - they cook with a pellet smoker but they have interesting sauces/sandwiches

Surrounding area within an hour-ish
Louie Mueller
Snows
Hays co bbq - in San Marcos
Lockhart bbq joints (blacks, smittys, kreutz, chisholm trail)
Truth Bbq

I have never had BBQ in Austin, but live near Luling and New Braunfels, plus not far from Lockhart.

I actually really like Cooper's Old Town in New Braunfels. City Market and Blacks are both pretty good, too.

If you get bored, or need a babysitter, we can have you over for homemade Q. We live in Kingsbury, which is a tiny dot on the map about an hour outside of Austin. I have a daughter in college that might be able to watch your kiddo for you with enough notice.

Also, if you get here and need anything, let me know. By then, I hope and pray to have transportation again, but I have family and friends in Austin that I can reach out to, if you really need something.

God bless you with safe travel, good eating, and fond memories of the area

Thanks for all the tips and info. Special thanks to you Dan for you generous offers. Since my last visit on the site my plans have changed a bit. Now it will just be me for the trip, pending approval up the chain. I am hoping to get approved for a rental vehicle. Don't know if the flights i have listed as preferred will be what i end up with, but i hope to be there in time to try somewhere for dinner on monday night. Also trying to get a later flight (4ish) out on Thursday so that i can go somewhere, toying with the idea of franklins that day. I'll know a bit more once my plans are closer to finalized. Thanks to everyone for your insight.

Thanks for all the tips and info. Special thanks to you Dan for you generous offers. Since my last visit on the site my plans have changed a bit. Now it will just be me for the trip, pending approval up the chain. I am hoping to get approved for a rental vehicle. Don't know if the flights i have listed as preferred will be what i end up with, but i hope to be there in time to try somewhere for dinner on monday night. Also trying to get a later flight (4ish) out on Thursday so that i can go somewhere, toying with the idea of franklins that day. I'll know a bit more once my plans are closer to finalized. Thanks to everyone for your insight.

FYI - some of the bbq places are closed for dinner (lunch until sold out is common) and many are closed on Mondays.

Well, my travel was approved, so I'll be gettimg on groundin austin about 530. Dont know how long getting out of airport will take but hope to be able to find somewhere to hit then.

Yeah I'm aware that Mondays, and the till sold out clause , could be issues. From what im seeing, looks like Blacks, Terry Blacks and Valentinas have Monday hours. The till sold out part may get me, but I'll try somewhere.

Tues and Wed, who knows what will happen. But i will leave these meeting people behind if they dont have good dinner ideas! I picked a late-ish flight back Thrsday, departs 5:20. That should give me time to get something good. Like i said, I'm toying with the idea of franklins that day.

Well, my travel was approved, so I'll be gettimg on groundin austin about 530. Dont know how long getting out of airport will take but hope to be able to find somewhere to hit then.

Yeah I'm aware that Mondays, and the till sold out clause , could be issues. From what im seeing, looks like Blacks, Terry Blacks and Valentinas have Monday hours. The till sold out part may get me, but I'll try somewhere.

Tues and Wed, who knows what will happen. But i will leave these meeting people behind if they dont have good dinner ideas! I picked a late-ish flight back Thrsday, departs 5:20. That should give me time to get something good. Like i said, I'm toying with the idea of franklins that day.

Nobody good will have legit Texas BBQ after about 2 PM except Terry Blacks. You either eat BBQ for lunch, or not at all for the most part.

Go to Franklin Thursday morning you leave. Get there about 6AM, do the line and eat, do a pit room tour (you have to ask for one) and you will be on the road to the airport by 1PM with hours to spare to return the rental, etc. You can sleep on the plane back home in a food coma.

Nobody good will have legit Texas BBQ after about 2 PM except Terry Blacks. You either eat BBQ for lunch, or not at all for the most part.

Go to Franklin Thursday morning you leave. Get there about 6AM, do the line and eat, do a pit room tour (you have to ask for one) and you will be on the road to the airport by 1PM with hours to spare to return the rental, etc. You can sleep on the plane back home in a food coma.

Yeah, the evening bbq thing was a hope and a wish. Si silly sounding questiin, but do you ask for the pit room tour when you're paying for food or what? Like isnthere a way/place/time you're supposed to do it. I'm hoping Aaron will be there, would like to get his autograph on my cue cookbook. I dont reckon he's thenone that does the pit tours....?

Yes, food coma...i am expecting and anticipating that! I think i have felt my cholesterol rising since i started this trip planning and thread!

Made it to Blacks (Austin location) yesterday for lunch. Got 1/4 lb fatty, 1/4 lb lean, 1/4 lb pulled pork, and a beef rib. The fatty brisket was really good. Honestly, the lean was good but i was expecting more... The beef fib was impressive, totally too much food for one, but figured may not get a beef rib from a place that's "supposed to do them right" ever again.. It was very...beefy...as stupid as that sounds. The pork, well i honestly like what people around home do better.

Overall it was a good experience, but i think the long time anticipation set my mind and expectations up pretty high, if that makes any sense. And it does make me question if i want to go stand in line for hours at Franklin tomorrow....

Last edited:
Back