The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

ytsejam 05-06-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 918496)
Leaks around the lid? Is it a flat lid or a weber?

its a weberlike lid. it doesn't fit perfectly around the top, I think i am going to make a foil gasket around it for next time.

I got all vents closed, with foil jammed in all the little holes, and it has dropped to 283 now. so it appears to be on the way down now.

Also, there is no food in it, so if i had a big brisket/butt in there, i think that would absorb some of the heat, to lower the temp a little bit

StayDown 05-06-2009 12:23 PM

Does the lid sit down inside the lip roll or did you take that off and it just sort of sits precariously on top?

I am thinking you might want to shave some mro metal off and use some high temp rubber around the inside of the drum at the very top. Then make the lid to snugly squeeze down, causing a press type fit....but that is just the machinist/ designer in me.

ytsejam 05-06-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 918579)
Does the lid sit down inside the lip roll or did you take that off and it just sort of sits precariously on top?

I am thinking you might want to shave some mro metal off and use some high temp rubber around the inside of the drum at the very top. Then make the lid to snugly squeeze down, causing a press type fit....but that is just the machinist/ designer in me.

It just rests on top. I flattened the rim of the lid out to rest on top of the drum.

I got the temp down to 250, then opened one air vent about 1/8 of an inch, and left for 3 hours. when i got back it was at 275.

I just but some MOINK balls, and some chicken lolly pops on. and going to get a couple fattys on in about 30 mins. so we will see what that does to the temp

Phubar 05-06-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytsejam (Post 918674)
It just rests on top. I flattened the rim of the lid out to rest on top of the drum.

I got the temp down to 250, then opened one air vent about 1/8 of an inch, and left for 3 hours. when i got back it was at 275.
erfect
I just but some MOINK balls, and some chicken lolly pops on. and going to get a couple fattys on in about 30 mins. so we will see what that does to the temp

I hope it works for you.
So far I have had no trouble with the lid-drum problem,in fact it fits perfect.
I've scored a 2nd hand Weber 22,5" and a 55 gallon drum and the lid goes smoothly over the lip roll.
I have to say that I still didn't do anything with it yet accept cleaned it from the outside and gathered some more data.
Probably 'cause there is so much info spread around here!
Today I made a really good score,I'll post some pics in a lil while.

Some comment from a new guy with no experience at all.

Phubar 05-06-2009 04:54 PM

I work in a mail office of a big hospital,during the day I meet a lot of people.
Some of these people may come in handy!
Today I spoke some guys who fix our climatecontrollers and this is what I got for free:(accept the metalcutter)

A nice dish of ingredients for the UDS to start with!

ytsejam 05-06-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 918730)
I hope it works for you.
So far I have had no trouble with the lid-drum problem,in fact it fits perfect.
I've scored a 2nd hand Weber 22,5" and a 55 gallon drum and the lid goes smoothly over the lip roll.
I have to say that I still didn't do anything with it yet accept cleaned it from the outside and gathered some more data.
Probably 'cause there is so much info spread around here!
Today I made a really good score,I'll post some pics in a lil while.

Some comment from a new guy with no experience at all.

once i got food on it, it stayed around 250-270 the whole time.
it's working like a champ:-D

it isn't a tight fit, but i think it is gonna work

mranum 05-06-2009 06:02 PM

This is quite a thread and I'm only up to page 50!

Love the knowledge at this place.:biggrin:

Phubar 05-06-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytsejam (Post 918764)
once i got food on it, it stayed around 250-270 the whole time.
it's working like a champ:-D

it isn't a tight fit, but i think it is gonna work

Nice!
Hope it tasted good!
Can't wait for my first good cook!

StayDown 05-06-2009 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just made this today at work, It will become a part of my UDS lid handle. Made out of 1/4" thick 6061-T3

Weiser 05-06-2009 06:55 PM

That is very nice!
I don't own anything worthy of that other than my spice cabinet.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 918799)
Just made this today at work, It will become a part of my UDS lid handle. Made out of 1/4" thick 6061-T3

StayDown 05-06-2009 07:44 PM

I plan on taking some 6061 sheet metal and doing something similar, using a slip roller to get the radius right and mount it to the front of the UDS using stand offs.

Pics to come when it is finished

Norcoredneck 05-06-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 916799)
UDS man shade...

Pretty sweet (as in light on the feet). Show us your Rainbow Drum Big guy.:mrgreen:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1241437971

Tangled Up In Q 05-06-2009 08:11 PM

I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!

Barbarian 05-06-2009 08:26 PM

Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.

JTank70 05-06-2009 09:16 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.

Weiser 05-06-2009 09:22 PM

The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 918884)
Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.

swamprb 05-06-2009 09:45 PM

After cooking on Hog-Que-Holics mammoth 96 gallon 2742-2's at the Klose class last weekend, he brought 2 of the 3 he's built- I had to step it up a notch or two.

Here is the Hogman and the Behemoth!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...9/IMG_0348.jpg

Next to my puny 2339-2!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...9/IMG_0349.jpg

With David Klose-Legendary pitbuilder!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...9/IMG_0314.jpg

Those 26" grates are awesome! So - being the cheap bastard I am, unwilling to buy a new one from Grainger like Hoggy- I went to the source! Al's Drums and Barrels on Airport Way in Seattle. Al has been in the business for 60+ years and his father founded Seattle Cooperage in 1916!! He said he rarely gets 96 gallon drums, but does come across 110 gallon drums but they are in high demand in Alaska. He had new 85 gallon 27"x39.5" for $160 or a reconditioned for $80-guess which one I got?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0373.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0372.jpg

I've wanted to make a Mini with a Weber Smokey Joe and the 14" lid fits perfect on this 15 gallon drum.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0375.jpg

Unlined - but the exterior paint has got to go. $100 cash out the door $41 for 26" Weber replacement grates ordered and we be gettin' down!
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0376.jpg

JTank70 05-06-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 918890)
The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser

Thanks Weiser.

I plan on using a hook on the basket. I had the chain kicking around. I will probably go with a t-bar type rig sooner or later though.

The barrel had mango concentrate in it. I did not notice until tonight that it had a sticker on it that read " Feb 12 2009" so I got a youngun.

It had a light tan liner not very thick in it. It looked like it burned out nice. I just put the barrel back in the garage and took a hand brush to it and it was coming off great.

I might just be smokin by sunday!!:biggrin:

Barbarian 05-06-2009 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!

mranum 05-07-2009 06:39 AM

I was just up to page 104 reading this and was wondering if anyone actually uses charcoal lighter any more. Then I saw this pic and thought....I guess not.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 728451)
Gives you wood you don't want to burn :eek:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ck/Flameon.jpg

Digi 05-07-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangled Up In Q (Post 918846)
I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!

why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's... :biggrin: :eusa_clap :icon_cool

JTank70 05-07-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 918915)
I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!

Does this make the barrel rust right away before you can wash it / season it etc.?

I thought about burning in the light rain too but figured it would create more work for myself. ????

Phubar 05-07-2009 09:19 AM

Here is some more info about the drums that I have.
When I was cleaning the drum on the outside I discovered a sort of stamp at the bottom.
It´s not a very good picture but it says:Colvinsa (manufacturer in Colombia of barrels and such), 4(with dash above and under), Q-12-08.
Probably this barrel was made in December 2008.
Couple of days ago I opened de screw cap on top and shined with a small LED light in.
It indeed contained palm oil,there is a lil bit of white stuff left on the bottom.
Hmmmm...barrel+white stuff+Colombia......:wink:
The inside of the barrel doesn't seem to have a coating it looks quite blank.
If so,will a good cleaning with a degreaser work,wirebrush it after and clean it again?
The outside has a good paintjob on it and I really wanna contain it.

Tangled Up In Q 05-07-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digi (Post 919081)
why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's... :biggrin: :eusa_clap :icon_cool

Ya know I guess I let the novelty of building and having one get the best of me... When what I really want is the best functional cooker!! So after reading this thread, and my own doubts of just how well the double will actually work I am now ready to start cutting the drums.. Gotta lot of grate ideas from here!

Phubar 05-07-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 918856)
Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.

If you have a drum with the lip roll still on it and the Weber lid,will there be smoke dripping between the lip and lid?
My plan is a lil bit similar to Jarinimo and yours ,I want to make the top of the drum fit perfectly on the lower charcoal basket part of the drum.
Just as perfect as the lid sits on the drum.
Rough sketch:

Barbarian 05-07-2009 10:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey Phubar,
Here are the three lids I have.

The first one has a rod welded around the edge and a flat bar welded to the rod as a lip. It was only spot welded so I used high temp sealant to stop it from leaking. It turned out a bit heavy with the rod and the flat bar being added, but works fine and give me plenty of room on the top grate.

The second is a shorter one where I took a lid and cut the center out and welded it to a 6" bottom of a donor drum.

The third is just a lid. I use it only when cooking on the lower grate.

The fourth pic is a buddies drum where he cut the lip off to be able to use a weber lid. And you can see where the stuff runs. I am to anal to deal with that way of doing things, lol. I would be rubbing up against it and getting pissed.

StayDown 05-07-2009 10:41 AM

I love the idea of using a lid and welding it to a donor bottom.

The lid is just a flat lid right? I have two drums I am going to use for donors because they are closed drums and I am getting a reconditioned drum with a removable lid for the real deal.

Wonder if I can find a spare lid? I would like the option of having the tall lid and the flat. ANy ideas on where to get just a flat lid?

LT72884 05-07-2009 10:58 PM

I start my build this weekend. Instead of moding my brinkman, i will be building a new DS. I m buying a 55 gallon new food safe drum with no liner. It is 35 inches high and 23 wide. Here are my final plans. I had help from a friend who has about 6 of these things

6 x 3/4 inch intake holes 1.5 inches above base
hot coal grate 2 inches from base
about 2 feet above grate is my first cooking grate with 10 inches from lid
4 inches above that is the option for second cooking rack 6 inches from lid
the lid will have 8 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch holes on top for venting smoke.
Cutting board
painted black
on wheels

I was going to use ball valve but didnt want to spend 20$ for that and it was a lil to bulky for me. I will be using metal pipe plugs to cover vents.

Meat Burner 05-07-2009 11:23 PM

LT, 6 3/4 inch intakes is waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooo much if I understand you post. Don't know what you researched to think that is appropriate. A second that would be more than enough for any temps you wanted to reach. JMHO, I would raise the grate to 3 inches above the bottom of the barrel to allow for ash accumulation. Do what you want but my suggestion is to go throught all the UDS pages and learn from everyone else's mistake and fixes.

Barbarian 05-07-2009 11:38 PM

Hey LT72884, I agree with Meat Burner, you won't need that much intake and you need a bit more room below the grate to let the air in.

LT72884 05-07-2009 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 919659)
LT, 6 3/4 inch intakes is waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooo much if I understand you post. Don't know what you researched to think that is appropriate. A second that would be more than enough for any temps you wanted to reach. JMHO, I would raise the grate to 3 inches above the bottom of the barrel to allow for ash accumulation. Do what you want but my suggestion is to go throught all the UDS pages and learn from everyone else's mistake and fixes.

Ill make my coal grate adjustable so i can lower it or higher it. My friends UDS's has 6 holes in it and he seems to do fine. Plus i can always plug them. Its so i can get a better and more even burn with the coal. the attached image shows how they will be placed on the base. Like i siad if i find my temps getting to high, then i will plug em up.

Norcoredneck 05-08-2009 02:03 AM

Make extra plugs, you will need them. Seems I have never went past 2, but I build in 3

Mattzilla 05-08-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 919696)
Make extra plugs, you will need them. Seems I have never went past 2, but I build in 3

Same here.

Phubar 05-08-2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 919163)
Hey Phubar,

The first one has a rod welded around the edge and a flat bar welded to the rod as a lip. It was only spot welded so I used high temp sealant to stop it from leaking. It turned out a bit heavy with the rod and the flat bar being added, but works fine and give me plenty of room on the top grate.

The second is a shorter one where I took a lid and cut the center out and welded it to a 6" bottom of a donor drum.

The fourth pic is a buddies drum where he cut the lip off to be able to use a weber lid. And you can see where the stuff runs. I am to anal to deal with that way of doing things, lol. I would be rubbing up against it and getting pissed.

Thanx for the pics and info Barbarian!
Yesterday I came up with a similar idea of your first picture.
I used the lid as sort of template and bended the rod on the inside of it.
Looks great allready,I think I won't be able to get it all the way round so maybe I'm gotta cut in in half.
I don't have the tools at home and skillz,you wil see that in the pictures later on when I get home.
Right now it looks real redneck-ish,it's hold together with some rope and ductape!:grin:
By the way....love the looks of your friends drum!
Funny to know that is your friend,the last couple of weeks I've been showing people this pic as an example for an UDS....and this qualifies definitly as an UDS!

BarberQue 05-08-2009 07:27 AM

Like Norco say's, I have three and rarely ever need more than 1 and a half valves open to get between 200* and 260*

timmy7649 05-08-2009 07:44 AM

i have 4 3\4 inch holes and for me to cook at 200 to 225 i only open 1/2 of one. i like having the extra so i can crank up the heat and grill some outstanding burgers. :twisted:

DDave 05-08-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT72884 (Post 919670)
Ill make my coal grate adjustable so i can lower it or higher it. My friends UDS's has 6 holes in it and he seems to do fine. Plus i can always plug them. Its so i can get a better and more even burn with the coal. the attached image shows how they will be placed on the base. Like i siad if i find my temps getting to high, then i will plug em up.

No offense, but I'll never understand why people insist on trying to reinvent the wheel or build the better mousetrap. I mean, I'm all for customization and individuality but the "basic" UDS design as explained in this thread and Norco's build thread is a pretty damn good smoker.

All the same, have fun with your build. :biggrin:

But trust these guys. They know what they are talking about.

Dave

Dr_KY 05-08-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 919696)

Ditto. Get yourself some Kevlar gloves too.

Quote:

Ill make my coal grate adjustable so i can lower it or higher it.
It's going to be very hot in there and while trying to raise and lower you are going to be exposing it to fresh air causing your temps to get out of control and perhaps never recover. Don't treat the UDS like a BBQ grill. It is built to be a set and forget cooker.
Quote:

Its so i can get a better and more even burn with the coal.
Your fuel will burn near perfect with just two intakes. It's best to do it the pr oven way then decide if you want to look for the perfect burn rather than going back wards. Others smokers on the market do just fine without all the spacing and intakes.

Smokin' D 05-08-2009 09:32 AM

Yep, I knew better and put in six 3/4" holes. Put plugs in three of them and never take the cap off of one of the remaining intakes. My next drum will have one 1/2" nipple and one 1" ball valve. The current drum runs too hot with one 3/4" nipple open and too cool with the 3/4" ball valve full open. So I figure that a 1/2" nipple and a little ball valve will be perfect. I'll let you all know.

Mark 05-08-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDave (Post 919817)
No offense, but I'll never understand why people insist on trying to reinvent the wheel or build the better mousetrap. I mean, I'm all for customization and individuality but the "basic" UDS design as explained in this thread and Norco's build thread is a pretty damn good smoker.

Dave

Dave: In as far as the primary fuel is charcoal briquettes, the "basic" UDS design, whose purpose is to approximate "set it and forget it" (RONCO) technology, you are correct. If you want to power your UDS primarily by wood sticks, a very different approach is called for.

So anyone contemplating building a UDS should first determine what primary fuel source they intend to use. If its charcoal briquettes, then NORCO's guide is a vewry good resource. HOwever, if it's wood, then I suggest you consider my approach.

Phubar 05-08-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 919163)
Hey Phubar,

Here is the pic I was telling you about.
How does the vertical air intake work for you?
I wanted to use a pipe with diameter 2,5cm/1".
I want to have something like that but today I read something about guys complaining that it was hard to control the heat.
The guys who had a bigger air intake had no problem as far as I can remember.
I remember that I saw somebody (think Norco) who had the ball valve on the bottom of the barrel but had a rod attached to it that went up so that you don't have to bend down to control the valve.
Probably I'll go with that idea,just have to find it!

Barbarian 05-08-2009 10:40 AM

I have 4 one inch intakes and only use all 4 to get the thing started. After the temp hits about 180 I shut down 2 of them and leave the other 2 open til it hits 220 then go to 2 about half open. My charcoal seems to burn evenly enough. So with 6 intakes and your wanting to get an even burn you will be adjusting all 6 intakes, all of them open 1/8 or so. Seems like more trouble then its worth. But reinvent the wheel if you must.

Barbarian 05-08-2009 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Phubar,
Here are my intakes. I made the back on a bit taller so it would be easier to get to since I have a table close by and cannot walk around the drum. The front one is a bit shorter and the other two are down at the bottom but are only open for about 5 minutes when I fire the drum up, then they are shut down. On the tall ones I use a magnet to adjust the air.

I like the 2" exhaust. It works great since I have a airtight drum now. I use a tin can to put over the exhaust to slow it down before turning the meat and to shut it down after the cook.

Not quite sure what your pic shows, maybe another one later will help. Good luck with the build.

LT72884 05-08-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDave (Post 919817)

Dave

Problem, im not going to read threw 3000+ posts to figure out the basic uds build. Im not going ball valves cuz i need to save money. Im going like the BDS style so if 6 is to many then how bout 4 intakes evenly spaced? If I REALLY need the ball valve then maybe ill go that way but if the BDS can get away with out it then so can i. lol.. can you grill with these things

Digi 05-08-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT72884 (Post 919944)
Problem, im not going to read threw 3000+ posts to figure out the basic uds build. Im not going ball valves cuz i need to save money. Im going like the BDS style so if 6 is to many then how bout 4 intakes evenly spaced? If I REALLY need the ball valve then maybe ill go that way but if the BDS can get away with out it then so can i. lol.. can you grill with these things

Telling us that you're NOT going to read through what we ALL have done already, is not a real way to gain "respect" or "help in building" for that matter. The fact that your questions are already answered if you read through all of these posts is another thing... not trying to be a douche here, but take the time to read through this thread and we will help in ANY way we can... :biggrin:

LT72884 05-08-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digi (Post 919955)
Telling us that you're NOT going to read through what we ALL have done already, is not a real way to gain "respect" or "help in building" for that matter. The fact that your questions are already answered if you read through all of these posts is another thing... not trying to be a douche here, but take the time to read through this thread and we will help in ANY way we can... :biggrin:

i didnt mean it like that. i made it to page 97 last night and had a hell of a headache. Its hard to search threw so many posts. like looking for a needle in a haystack sorta thing. It seems that the first 50 - 100 pages was about what lid to use and showing pictures of there drum smokers. However this was around 1 in the morning so i might have missed something. Sorry for the miss communication

Phubar 05-08-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 919937)
Hey Phubar,
Here are my intakes. I made the back on a bit taller so it would be easier to get to since I have a table close by and cannot walk around the drum. The front one is a bit shorter and the other two are down at the bottom but are only open for about 5 minutes when I fire the drum up, then they are shut down. On the tall ones I use a magnet to adjust the air.

I like the 2" exhaust. It works great since I have a airtight drum now. I use a tin can to put over the exhaust to slow it down before turning the meat and to shut it down after the cook.

Not quite sure what your pic shows, maybe another one later will help. Good luck with the build.

Thanx again Barbie!:-D

I'm now at a point that I just have to build this thing and worry about the customizing later.
Probably I'll stick with my first ideas,most of the times those are the best decissions.
The Weber exhaust,3 air intakes with 1 vertical pipe plus ball valve will do?
Think that's one of my most important questions,the air intake and exhaust ratio.
I found it earlier on page 54 somewhere.
Sorry about the bad picture earlier,I took it with my cell phone as you can see,hopefully this pic will help.
It shows how I'm using the inside of the lid as a template for bending the rod for the upper lip of the charcoal drum/basket.
Thanks for your support broer/brother!

DDave 05-08-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 919893)
So anyone contemplating building a UDS should first determine what primary fuel source they intend to use. If its charcoal briquettes, then NORCO's guide is a vewry good resource. HOwever, if it's wood, then I suggest you consider my approach.

Like I said . . . reinventing the wheel. How are you going to get back in there to reload the wood? And having to reload all the time thoughout say a 17 hour brisket smoke is really going to be a pain.

I'm not knocking you, brother, truly I am not. Just trying to save you some frustration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT72884 (Post 919944)
Problem, im not going to read threw 3000+ posts to figure out the basic uds build.

Read this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

All you need to know to build it.

THIS thread is what I would call "drum theory". It is a very worthwhile read. Yes it does take a long time but then so does smoking a brisket. Both are worth the time spent.:biggrin:

And yes, you can grill with these thin

Dave

Tangled Up In Q 05-08-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 919937)
Hey Phubar,

Barbarian, that is one awesome looking UDS, you may have to drop the U ! Hope you don't mind I am going to try to clone it! I will change up the paint scheme for sake of identity. Both drums I have are closed drums, was yours an open ended??

jtwisted13 05-08-2009 02:46 PM

here's mine finally

other than seasoning it(tomorrow) and installing the thermometer my drum is finally done..

started with this
http://i40.tinypic.com/30tgn75.jpg

burn baby burn
http://i39.tinypic.com/333lt7t.jpg

weber replacement grates are not an option where i live so ya gotta do what ya gotta do..lol

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cftzcy.jpg

charcoal basket done - it is installed on an old grate from a gas grill - not traditional but it works - barrel primed as the paint i was using needed primer.

http://i42.tinypic.com/akimtv.jpg

final paint and lid hanger mod(no idea what its really called..lol)
http://i40.tinypic.com/2yvjl36.jpg

sprayed down with 3 coats of cooking spray and ready for tomorrows cook...one fatty and no idea what else..

http://i40.tinypic.com/5x5qao.jpg