Wed Night Packer & Shoulders

The Giggler

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well, I need to get comfortable with the new cooker. I've got Zero confidence, and only direction & testimony by some really great cooks.

I pledged lunch to my friends at Rucker Lumber. Afterall, they unloaded the Piglet last week, and delivered it with a fork truck to my garage. Real nice folks. So, they will have a pulled pork sannie and roasted corn luncheon on Friday. (Had to give myself the fark factor of a day). The packer is for my Trap team on Saturday, when we'll be shooting a 100 bird tournament.

So the best way to get confident, is to cook.

Thanks for the tips on getting things up to temp. Used Humphrey's Briquettes this time, and only lit the corner (front, right) closest to the vent. It was at 200F 40 minutes after dumping in the hot coals.

Shoulders were trimmed and seasoned first, then put on the middle shelf side-by-side. The packer was trimmed and seasoned, then put on the middle shelf.

I am going to check the temp one more time tonight, and go to bed around 11pm. Rising at 6am to get moving for work, and check things out. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• Wed Night Packer & Shoulders.jpg
    Wed Night Packer & Shoulders.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Wed Night Packer & Shoulders 1.jpg
    Wed Night Packer & Shoulders 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 119
Those Boston Butts look great! Can't wait for more photos.
Are you awake yet? Huh? Huh?:mrgreen:

Sorry for the delay. Things were busy with work this morning.

6am came around. Temp was at 200F, and in need of some more coals. The line burned perfect overnight, and the last bit in the corner was just starting to break down. I raked the coals to one side, and filled the charcoal basket 1/4 full stacking cold briquettes on the line of hot coals. Since the coals were on the other side of the vent that was open, I closed the R vent and opened the L vent about 1/4.

Meats weren't at temp, so I wrapped them in foil (the brisket looked prety dry), and put them back on.

At 9am, I checked the temps, and the brisket was at 198F, and the pork shoulder was at 194F. So I pulled them off, and let them rest. Sliced the 'Crown' off the brisket, and put it back on to finish burnt ends.

Couldn't stand it. Had to try the brisket, so I sliced across the 'money piece' expecting a dry shoe. The juice ran out.... The pull test passed valiantly, and the moisture and flavor was really quite good. All it was seasoned with was Giggling Pigs BBQ Co Spicy Rub, no injection. Doing another packer on Saturday night, and will play a little more.

I tried a little experiment. After slicing the piece of brisket for the picture, I left it sit for 20 minutes to see how the moisture content and flavor would be. The picture was taken at the end of the 20 minutes, it was pulled apart and consumed. It was still fine. This was actually one of my best efforts for brisket.

Snatched a couple pieces from the pork, and the smokyness was there, and I could still taste the flavor of the rub. Wow. Didn't take any pics cuz I am not ready to work with it yet.

All this and a good night's sleep.... We'll get it dialed in.

Attachments

• Slice O' Brisket.jpg
    Slice O' Brisket.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Thursday Morning.jpg
    Thursday Morning.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Thursday Morning 1.jpg
    Thursday Morning 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 82
Just looking at the photos. None of these pieces were touched or moved during the cook overnight. Check out the before pictures, and compare them to the after pictures - the brisket really shrunk up.:shock:

Great looking grub. Interesting test on the brisket. Going to have to try that. How long did you let it rest before slicing?

dang, that looks good. Now I wish I cooked a flat last night too... T

Great looking grub sounds like you are going to like that BWS, nice to have a good night sleep whlie the smoker does it's thing.

Great looking grub sounds like you are going to like that BWS, nice to have a good night sleep whlie the smoker does it's thing.

I couldn't agree more. Following the less-than-stellar performance on Sunday, I needed a good cook.

This morning, I called the team to let them know that cookoffs are going to be different this year. Since we pretrim, chicken, we'll need to check in, get the chicken in the marinade, strip the fell off the ribs, trim the pork butts and brisket, and season. Then socialize with our friends! Fire up the first chimney at 8p, pour it in the corner, bring the cooker up to temp, butts and brisket on at 9p, and then socialize with our friends! Of course,

I am simplifying a bit, but the new setup is going to make a real difference in our down time at a contest.

Looks like she worked out for you... the grub looks great!!!!

Had a coke for lunch... That's it.... Feel guilty yet??? Kinda hungry.... Still not working??? Only coffee for breakfast.... How about now???? Damn you, I'll have to wait till I get home for real food... you did drop it off right????

Great pics. So, I'm not quite cleat, but did you slice into the brisket before resting? You said you couldn't wait. And it was still moist? I find that very interesting and am curious if I read that right.

Looks like she worked out for you... the grub looks great!!!!

Had a coke for lunch... That's it.... Feel guilty yet??? Kinda hungry.... Still not working??? Only coffee for breakfast.... How about now???? Damn you, I'll have to wait till I get home for real food... you did drop it off right????

I'm on the coffee only breakfast deal this morning. <grin>

Thanks for the kind words.

Great pics. So, I'm not quite cleat, but did you slice into the brisket before resting? You said you couldn't wait. And it was still moist? I find that very interesting and am curious if I read that right.

The brisket got a half hour rest on the cutting board, still wrapped in foil. The part I couldn't wait for, was lunch....:rolleyes:

Back