• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips for Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I am going to make some Beef Short Rib Plate tomorrow and bought the stuff to make Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus. I will be smoking at about 275*. Should I smoke the asparagus, or would it be better to grill it? About how long does it take? Just until the prosciutto crisps up? I am thinking of drizzling some garlic infused olive oil on top, a little S&P, cooking, and then maybe some Parmesan at the end. That sound like a plan?

No probs, I can start up the gasser this afternoon. Direct or indirect? How do I know when they are done? I don't cook a lot of these green things...

Asparagus has that smooth stiffer thick skin, it doesn't absorb smoke at all. You'd end up with a thin film of smoke residue.

You'll want to cook them on a med to med-low heat direct. They will be done when they are bright green and less rigid (not limp). Keep a couple extra stalks free from prosciutto so you can take a bite while they are cooking so you can get a better feel for them

Looking forward to your results. I use evoo-KS and bacon- which is not what your asking- therefore curious how yours turns out

This sounds great. I've grilled asparagus plain with spevo always turned out good. pretty forgiving. Done shrimp wrapped in Prosciutto which was great also. I am just wondering if the Prosciutto will crisp up too soon before the asparagus is done... waiting to see ...

Couple possibilities.....

Wrap cheese inside with the asparagus & grill at just a slightly lower heat so it doesn't all melt out....

Here's cooks by some buddies from WKC.....just don't have the hang of who's done this here....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/maiden-voyage-for-the-mothership/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/m...ith-troy-and-jason-beach/msg149055/#msg149055

Also,
Shave the butt ends of the 'gus with a potato peeler so the tough skin just isn't there to cause problems.......the wife's always done this when pan braizing in water, olive oil, spices & various jellies (jalepeno, basil, etc.)

Personally, I go easy on, or without olive oil on grilling stuff......flare ups are my nemesis......

2w312zr.jpg

That ham is paper thin. Wish I would have used 3 or 4 asparagus to one piece of ham.

Thanks. The bundle I picked is mostly small stalks. I planned on three or four to a bundle. I've too too much, so any questionable stalks will probably get wasted.

I would grill the asparagus.

Here is a suggestion for you.
A Balsamic Vinegar reduction drizzled over the asparagus is also great.

If you put a small pile of grated parmesan on a silicone baking sheet and melt it
down to a disk then let it dry, you will end up with a Parmesan crisp that is delicious
and looks great on the plate.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy.

Great thread, thanks for starting the discussion. I'm actually learning sumpin, who'd a thunk it?

Proscuitto can go south on the grill rapidly being paper thin and high fat. You could wrap for a bit and then grill. Ive gone direct with the asparagus, let cool to room temp and added a soft herb cheese then wrapped in prosuitto and served like BBQ Mafia, with a balsamic reduction. You could also hit this to the grill for a quick sear, if the cheese is so that it won't all ooze out. If you have access to imported di parma proscuitto, it makes a world of difference. Its about $18#, but you need so little who cares!

Back