The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Steve_M9 09-02-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 1014690)
straining the juice from









244


So true........doesn't everyone have a UDS by now?

Hugh Jorgan 09-02-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phDog (Post 1015131)
when i seasoned my drum i still had a good bit of sut from my burn out in there. is that a problem?

Doubtful but maybe, wash it, towel dry and spray with pam. This should hold it pretty much rust free 'til you fire it up.

Kickback BBQ on Guam 09-02-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianagriller (Post 1014708)
I did something like that, one one of mine i made for competition i put the chicken rack on bottom and the rib rack on top. I will post pics later when i get home. It seems to work out ok with the flat lid. The UDS is a magic maker. Last weekend i put a brisket and two pork butts in and about 9 hours later I opened the lid and found 3 perfect pieces of meat.

Is there a set amount of space that needs to be between the meat and the lid to ensure proper smoke flavor prior to venting? Would the (8) 1/2" holes work better or the single exhaust?

Kickback BBQ on Guam 09-02-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctbeerbq (Post 1014945)
I am almost done with my first UDS. I did the standard build.

Here's the charcoal basket.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC06449.jpg

My inspiration.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC06445.jpg

Almost done...
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC06446.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC06444.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC06447.jpg

Inside coated with shortening.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC06450.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC06448.jpg


I will do the seasoning burn tonight... probably cook something this weekend... and I have to wait for my artistically talented MIL from Germany to visit next month (when my wife pops out girl #3) to finish the Saint Arnold Brown Ale label paint job on the side. I need to look for some stencils for the bottle cap lid to finish that part.

We had the same idea, we go through a couple of the big boxes of Miller Lite every weekend and we pull for the Blue Deuce on race day. Ultimate tailgater

Paul B 09-03-2009 06:20 AM

Epic thread!!
 
Wow!!!..... just finished. Now I just need to finish getting parts together to complete my SS UDS and start cooking. Will have the time now that I'm caught up on this short(hehe) thread!!!

Paul B

ctbeerbq 09-03-2009 06:44 AM

I started my seasoning burn last night about 6pm. Opened all intakes, full load of charcoal, weedburner to light the coals... up to 225 in under 10 minutes.:shock: I started capping it off and got it settled in at 250 with only the ball valve 1/4 closed. I left it going all night and checked it at 5:30am before I left for work.... still sitting at 250!!! :shock::eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I should have made one of these a long time ago! This is awesome!

Phubar 09-03-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctbeerbq (Post 1014945)
I will do the seasoning burn tonight... probably cook something this weekend... and I have to wait for my artistically talented MIL from Germany to visit next month (when my wife pops out girl #3) to finish the Saint Arnold Brown Ale label paint job on the side. I need to look for some stencils for the bottle cap lid to finish that part.


Did you get some sauerkraut,bratwurst and weissbier yet?:-D

ctbeerbq 09-03-2009 02:04 PM

I can't stand sauerkraut :icon_sick. And the German weissbier has too much of a banana flavor for my liking. She usually brings me a few beers and lots of chocolate :biggrin:.

Paul B 09-03-2009 04:31 PM

getting lid off????
 
OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Any ideas on how to remove a rolled lid and still use it as a lid???

Thanks,

Paul B

Norcoredneck 09-03-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1016331)
OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Any ideas on how to remove a rolled lid and still use it as a lid???



Thanks,

Paul B


In the beginning people claimed they took a cutoff blade on a die grinder and cut only the top and not the drum. Thawley had said he made a jig to do it but I must have missed that thread where he posted the picks. Either way if it was practical it would have been all over the UDS thread.

Rich Parker 09-03-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 1014690)
straining the juice from

I want to see pics of your UDS. Hot chicks in the shot are ok.

Wyley 09-03-2009 08:28 PM

Before I started grinding away on that SS drum I sure would try to get my hands on a regular drum to practice on. It's something you'll only get one shot at doing right.

Paul B 09-03-2009 09:02 PM

Naaahh.....wifey would probably not allow that, anyway only paid $5.00 for it at a garage sale!!!! Wish the guy had more, said he paid $25 for it.

Paul B

Hugh Jorgan 09-04-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1016331)
OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Any ideas on how to remove a rolled lid and still use it as a lid???

Thanks,

Paul B

HMMmmmmmmmmm, Maybe, just maybe if you cut it out really clean like this pic, but cleaner, you could attach something to the lid to keep it from falling down into the drum and don't add any or minimal exhaust holes. Or you could find something stainless that is flat and bigger and cut a ring out of it to bolt to your top for a sealing rim. Exhaust as normal.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/GEDC0100.jpg

Norcoredneck 09-04-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan (Post 1016730)
HMMmmmmmmmmm, Maybe, just maybe if you cut it out really clean like this pic, but cleaner, you could attach something to the lid to keep it from falling down into the drum and don't add any or minimal exhaust holes. Or you could find something stainless that is flat and bigger and cut a ring out of it to bolt to your top for a sealing rim. Exhaust as normal.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/GEDC0100.jpg

Then it would warp and you could use it for a taco shaped serving tray.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.