The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The problem with a simple salt & pepper rub is ... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147361)

This is not your pork! 11-06-2012 02:14 AM

The problem with a simple salt & pepper rub is ...

... that it always gets too hot for my wife and especially the kids.

I already tried different ratios, starting with 50/50 salt & black pepper and 50/25/25 salt + black pepper + white pepper, but nevertheless it's still too hot for them every time.

What else can I try not letting any other ingredients disturb that simple but effective flavor profile of just salt & pepper?

I guess it doesn't make sense to just reduce the amount of pepper, because then all that remains is the saltiness. :confused:

SmokeFan 11-06-2012 03:03 AM

Are you grinding your own pepper, and if so have you tried varying the coarseness of the grind? Also what type of black pepper are you using? I've tried using Malabar and the wife complained. I switched to Tellicherry, and she loves it. :der: Tellicherry is supposed to be a bit milder.

AJP 11-06-2012 03:41 AM

use less pepper?

This is not your pork! 11-06-2012 03:54 AM

I use already powdered peppers for rubs, there is no choice on brand, it's just black or white.

Using less pepper would make it less hot of course, but if I do as my wife wishes it pretty much would omit the peppers at all with just the salt remaining.

I know that the problem here is not really solvable, either use pepper, less or not.

Any idea which other ingredient I could use with salt & less pepper that does not distract from the just salt & pepper flavor profile?

I really like the taste of the peppers, but even if I go with 1 cup salt + 1 tbsp pepper I am sure wife & kids would still complain.

Is there any spice I could use instead of pepper keeping the taste without hotness?

Callahan-que 11-06-2012 04:05 AM

How much are you putting on the meat, coverage wise?

This is not your pork! 11-06-2012 04:15 AM

Usually I like it covered well in rub, resulting in a nice bark, but I also tried less. I for myself do not think it's getting too hot, so either it's our peppers being hotter than yours over there, or my family being oversensitive.

Skidder 11-06-2012 04:23 AM

Pepper after pulling but only for those who like it.

This is not your pork! 11-06-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 2264789)
Pepper after pulling but only for those who like it.

Can you smoke with just salt and still build up a bark?

42BBQ 11-06-2012 06:14 AM

Keep the 50/50 ratio and use less rub?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-06-2012 06:20 AM

When i have guests over who are overly sensitive to heat, I smoke a pork butt w/ 1/2 my normal rub and the other 1/2 rubbed with the amount of salt that was in the rub for "my" half. Works great and should work just as well for brisket or ribs.

By the way, I came up with this idea after a Vermonter who once lived in Alaska took a bite of my pulled pork, broke into an immediate sweat and said "wow, this will drive the frost right out of a man!". :laugh:

captndan 11-06-2012 06:21 AM

White pepper is the hot one.

AustinKnight 11-06-2012 07:04 AM

Weigh out the salt and pepper, I use diamond kosher salt and course restaurant style black pepper my girl hates hot anything but she can tolerate it.I also use lemon pepper in my SnP mix though, dirty D rub.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Q-Dat 11-06-2012 07:27 AM

If you can find coarser pepper that will help. The powdery stuff is the same, theres just more of it in a specific measure of volume than the coarse.

If you can only get the powder then just use your salt and pepper separately. Season with the appropriate amount of salt, and then the same with the pepper.

Vision 11-06-2012 07:51 AM

You're putting too much on.

Boshizzle 11-06-2012 08:20 AM

Generally, the finer the grind the harsher and hotter it will be. If you can crack your own and then sift out the finer powder and use the larger pieces, it should help. Also, don't use white pepper as it can add some heat too.

Here is a pic of 16 mesh ground pepper. This is what you should go for. Notice there is no fine powder in it at all.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=6693